Thread: Dangnabit!!

Dangnabit!!

When it rains it pours I guess. We have a 40" tv in our den ... the most watched tv outside of the bedroom. Last night we had a power surge (power cut off for about 1/2 second and immediately came back on). Ever since, all works fine, but there is no sound. I've tried all the "reset" tricks, unplugging for 30 mins, plugging back in, etc. etc, but nothing has changed. Back in the day, I'd have the back off of it and be tinkering, but it's a crappy RCA (another brand that USED to be good) and probably 10 years old, so I seriously doubt it's worth the effort. Like almost everything else these days, it's disposable. Why is it when money is short and we ain't even s'posed to leave the house, that's when Murphey's Law kicks in and you need to leave the house and spend some money?

Oh well, I'll sell the base, power cord and remote on eBay and prolly make $75-$80 or so, but I ain't even gonna mess with circuit boards or the power supply etc. (don't know the reason for the audio failure). What a PITA that I wasn't planning to deal with right now.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Thump, they're just too cheap to try to repair these days.....I saw WM had their 60 inch Vizios on sale for about $475.....we paid almost $600 for one about two years ago, and love it, especially the sound quality.
    Put it on a WM credit card, and pay about $25 a month.....I "think" they're waving the interest for 12 months.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 04-08-2020 at 12:26 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

We have a spare that came out of the Hyatt when they upgraded tv's a while back. It's a 43" Samsung, but it was wall mounted and has no base (or the wall mount). Where we would have it, it would need a base (which I can most likely locate on eBay). It also has no remote (also an eBay item). Basically, I could prolly take the $75 I make from selling MY base and remote and break even. It's just the hassle of dealing with it. I'm stubborn, since I have something here that will "work", I can't see going out for a new one. I suppose I could prop it up on the table and change channels manually until I get a base and remote. Just call me Fred Sanford.

Worst case scenario, I still have our trusty old 27" tube type tv in the garage .... but I'd have to hire 3 men and a boy to help me carry it in the house. I can't believe how frigging heavy tv's used to be!

The soundless TV has audio out? Got a spare boombox or other external speaker? See where I'm going with this (for short term, #STAYTHEFUCKHOME approach)?

Okay, Fred.
    Southern Gentleman

Good idea Egg'ers. I have plenty of speakers, but no powered speakers other than what I have hooked up to my p/c. Ya' think they need to be powered? Or just "plug 'n play"?

I figure it's a circuit board problem and just assumed if it had no internal sound output, remote speakers wouldn't work either.

I just dug out the TV we got from the hotel and it's actually a 42" LG (commercial grade) tv. It was in the 43" Samsung box (which is what it was replaced with). The technician was kind enough to evaluate the tv's before removing them and has "Excellent - Newer Condition" written on the outside of the box. It may have been one of the hotel's new spares that maintenance used to replace an older set that had malfunctioned, so I may have scored a nice one. At any rate, I can get a brand new remote for this LG for under $20, now if I can find a used pedestal base, I'll be in high cotton!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Don't know what kind of cable setup you have but I have had the same 'no sound' issue that was corrected by doing a reboot on the cable box.

This reminds me of the joke about the polock and the chain saw.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
    Don't know what kind of cable setup you have but I have had the same 'no sound' issue that was corrected by doing a reboot on the cable box.
    Yeppers, I've "rebooted" both the tv and the cable box. Same issue afterwards.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Cheap soundbar off of ebay.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    TV settings /external speakers /off/on.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Thump, they're just too cheap to try to repair these days.....I saw WM had their 60 inch Vizios on sale for about $475.....we paid almost $600 for one about two years ago, and love it, especially the sound quality.
    Put it on a WM credit card, and pay about $25 a month.....I "think" they're waving the interest for 12 months.
    If you bought it 2 years ago and they waiving interest for 12 months, I believe you have 12 months of interest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not me, dufus.....I bought mine out right.....I was only telling Thump about the current WM deal.
    Southern Gentleman

Well, where did Egghead go? Nobody has explained the external speaker thing yet. I’m assuming the power surge blew the audio circuit board. If so, why would the external speaker outlet work? Are they separate boards/circuits? Doesn’t make sense to me, but what do I know? I have tons of speakers around, but no POWERED speakers. Does it matter (powered/non-powered)?

Thumper, do you have a surround sound system? You can feed your cable through it and from that, to the tv.
    Then your sound will be played through surround and your picture on the tv.

Okay dammit.
    You have a couple of choices, and yes you’ll need a powered device to drive the speakers. If it was like you are thinking and you could just connect directly to speakers you’d have just ‘speaker wires’ with no connectors.

My bet is you have at least two and maybe three options for audio out. One is a hdmi port which requires an hdmi connection to some sort of digital to analog device like a sound bar or possibly a dvr or something. These ond option would be the RCA connectors, which are the output jacks and they are labeled L and R. This is an analog output but it is actually the ouut of a preamp and you need an amplifier of some sort, again like a stereo reciever. They’ll have the matching input jacks again labeled L and R.
    Lastly, you may have an ‘audio optical out’ which uses a fiber cable but you need something toconvert it to from pcm to analog. Best Buy and others sell a cheap convertor for less than fifty bucksand it converts the optical pcm signal to analog and provides RCA output jacks, and again you need an a device with am amp to drive your external speakers.
    The audio board is just a preamp. It shouldn’t be hard to replace (google it noob) but if you don’t want to mess with it, you’ll need a device like a stereo receiveror a sound bar to get sound out of it.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

And to add.....I think your cheapest option is to scrounge around and find an old cheapie stereo receiver. Connect it with rca jacks to your tv’s rca output and wire your existing speakers the old fashioned way to the stereo.
    or you could try this

BKB
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]11504

Attached Images Attached Images
    Viva Renaldo!

Got it ... and bite me while you're at it!

I'm pretty basic around here. We just have basic cable that comes in with the old-timey coax. The tv is just a tv, no stereo, sound bar or surround sound. Just a screen in a box with noise coming out of it ... except now, there is no noise.

I haven't junked the tv yet, so maybe I'll pick up a sound bar at Best Buy and see if it works. If not, I can always return it. In my nimrod way of thinking, I just figured ALL audio would be passed from the audio board, no matter what speaker configuration I had set up or what output jack I tie into. I figured ANY audio had to come from the audio board originally and would be dispersed from there. Like a dang backhoe or sumpin' ... you have one hydraulic pump, but you can switch to whatever lines you want, bucket L/R, up/down, tilt/lift, etc. etc. Many "outlets' (output jacks), but if the pump (audio card) goes out, NOTHING hydraulically operated (speakers) will work. I guess I'm wrong.

are your tv speakers even turned on?

Dude brought me one with no sound and all I did was turned it back on in the menu (audio)
    Last edited by airbud7; 04-09-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Did you say you have computer speakers? what kind of connector do they have? I have some old ones that have their own amps in them.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

Yep, I have a nice pair of Klipsch "powered" speakers on my p/c. If push came to shove, I could hook them up just for shits and grins. That would answer the question I suppose. But, I have the tv pulled, boxed up and don't feel like climbing under my desk to pull wires etc. to disconnect my p/c speaker and go through the motions right now. I have the hotel LG hooked up in the den now and dug out a universal remote that "somehow" was compatible and it works fine. I'm watching eBay for a base as for now it's just propped against the wall on a shelf (looks like it's wall mounted). Heck, I could prolly just leave it that way and nobody would know the difference. I guess I'll stick the other one in the garage along with the other 10,000 "future projects" and test the speaker thing whenever I have nothing else to do ... which means it'll prolly sit out there until I get the cleaning bug and haul it to the dump. (or when another tv takes a dump and I'm desperate, THEN I'll try hooking speakers up to it).

A/B, it's all disconnected and boxed up now, so I can't check to see if the speakers are "turned off". I do know I went through everything on the menu and don't ever remember seeing an option for turning them on/off (other than mute), but I think I'd have used common sense if I'd seen anything like that as an option. Remember, this all happened when we had a power surge ... the tv was on, we lost power and it came back on in about 1/2 of a second ... just a blink of the eye. Under the circumstances, I believe that fried the audio board. I could be wrong, but it's an "educated" guess.

I think what is more likely is that you fell asleep in your lazyboy with the remote in your hand and when that lightning hit it startled you awake and you hit the Mute button.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha! And AGAIN you can bite me. Odd, as there was no storm or any reason I know of to cause the surge. I’m assuming a transformer could have possibly blown up someplace on the grid and the automatic switchover system kicked in. It could have even been a traffic accident where a power pole was hit and the same thing happened. It’s hard to say and could have been anything, who knows? The weird thing is, it happened at 3:00 am and it just so happens, Lynn and I had both awakened for some reason and were watching tv at the time. (It stays on all night)

No biggie. It’s a done deal right now and I’ve “improvised” without spending any money.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I think I’d have the common sense....

That’s a pretty tall order if you ask me...YOU, have common sense?

No wonder the stools get worn out so fast around this place.

damn Thumper!.....all you had to do was hit the mute button dude!

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Huh?
    1) see postheads post.
    C) try to keep up!