Thread: Well, that was a nice windfall!

Well, that was a nice windfall!

I think I mentioned my buddy unexpectedly passing away a couple weeks ago. Lynn and I helped his sister (LONGTIME friend of ours) clean out his apartment and generally clean the place out. I figured she had enough on her plate dealing with all the arrangements, so I volunteered to sell his car for her so that she wouldn't have to worry about it. Heck, I jumped it off, brought it home, charged the battery, cleaned the trash out of it and hosed the dust off of it (didn't even wash it). It was an 11 year old Hyundai with 165,000 miles on it and a bit beat up ... plus it was filthy, so I wasn't expecting to get much, but it helped take a little weight off her shoulders. Dang if I didn't run into a guy (friend of a friend of a friend type deal) who needed a car asap! His wife works at Walmart and on her way home last night, her car blew up! (overheated, knocking, smoking ... pretty much toast) I quoted him $1800 for the car and was prepared to let him grind me down to $1500, but he jumped on it and whipped out eighteen $100 bills, I signed over the title and he headed home happy as could be. I took the $$$ to her and she took $900 of it and handed me the other $900. Of course the back & forth commenced, but she insisted and said there will be no further argument. Now, I just wish there was someplace I could go to spend it. Oh well, I'll do the right thing and stick it in the bank since we have no idea how hard our finances are going to be hit by time this virus thing is behind us.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

My daddy told me once that you decline payment, gift, or reciprocity one time when you are trying to “be a blessing” to someone else. If they insist, take it and say thank you.

If you hem and haw and try to be the ‘better or bigger person’, you are stealing the blessing from them.

Sometimes the good Lord takes what you were trying to do as a good deed and flips it right back in your face.

Which makes me wonder, ‘would nine $100 bills even cover HALF your face?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuttin’ but abuse around this joint ... nuttin’ but abuse. 😩

Actually, I knew it would be a battle trying to give her the money. Number one, she doesn't need it as they are millionaires (literally) and number two, we're considered family. I just hope she can get some rest now. You may recall her mother passed away in October and now her brother. It's been a rough 5-6 months. Both the brother and mom lived here locally and "we" are the only family here in town, so she has had her hands full taking care of both of them the past few years. As sad as it is, I think it's going to be a much needed relief and maybe she can finally relax and get back to a normal life. Ha! Once this virus crap has passed on that is.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain