Thread: Another Thump post ... but there ain't nuttin' else to do. (Attn. P-hole)

Another Thump post ... but there ain't nuttin' else to do. (Attn. P-hole)

P-hole, the book referenced at the end of this post has YOU written all over it!

One of the items I always keep an eye out for at estate sales is hatchets and especially axes. Much of the stuff I walk right on by because we have so many Northerners who hit retirement age and move South. They generally sell out at home, then come down here, pick up a small 2-bedroom house and buy new stuff. Any axe found in the garage will have "Made in China" embossed on the head. But when I hit a sale at an established homestead that's been around for a while, I make a beeline for the garage, barn or storage shed(s). EVERY old homestead has at least one axe sitting in a corner or hanging from a rafter. I generally buy them for $3-$5. If the haft is screwed up (and MANY of them are), I simply remove it and sell the head only. This makes shipping a snap. Most of the heads I deal with will bring $35-$50, but I've had quite a few in the $75-$100 range. (I've sold 5 the past couple weeks, have another listed as we speak, will be listing one today and have maybe 5-6 more waiting in the garage to be cleaned up) I've even had a few that sold in the $100-$300 range! I sell tons of axes/axe heads. Flea markets, yard sales and estate sales ... you can almost always find an old axe. What makes it exciting is, most are covered in rust which many times hides the maker's mark. I couldn't tell you how many times I've brought an old mystery axe (or head) home, cleaned it up and found it was a high dollar item.

The one I mentioned above that I plan on listing today is a rare one. The head is a design that is a first for me ... and is a rare patern. They're so rarely sold, I'm having a heck of a time pricing it. I did find ONE that's listed at $680.00 (I paid $2.50 for mine), but I don't know how realistic his price is. He does have a shop and specializes in vintage edged tools, so I assume he knows what he's doing, but I just don't have anything to compare it with (so far). They're that rare. I'll figure it out I guess.

That said, I've often mentioned here that much of the fun selling "junque" on eBay is the hunt for inventory. Another fun part is researching stuff that I buy. I buy many items only because I find them interesting, yet know nothing about them. Sure, I get burned at times, but I've developed a pretty decent eye for stuff that will be profitable. But, I digress, back to this axe. While I was researching the cedar pattern axe (also referred to as the Mexican Cedar Axe), I ran across a book on-line and started reading. I soon became engrossed and couldn't stop reading. In the section covering the development of the cedar pattern, I ran across this info that I found amusing and immediately thought, "this has Posthole written all over it"! What leads into this is the description of how the cedar axe was developed and why ... for clearing land, in the West Texas area, of it's cedar trees (bushes actually) for pastures and such, mostly by Mexican laborers. That developed into selling the cut cedar as fence posts. That in of itself is an interesting story, but I laughed my ass off at this particular section as I could just picture it in my mind. I'll post the link (it won't let me cut & paste) and scan down to the last sentence to start (bottom of page 108). It's a description of the "hoopies" the old cedar choppers used to haul their cedar fence posts to the dealer.

Note, I believe this link will take you to the right area, but if not, there's a tool at the upper right of the title page where you can toggle to the correct page without having to scroll.

https://books.google.com/books?id=7H...%20axe&f=false

Posthole! I'm talkin' to you boy!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Haha wow that is a cool story. We had an axe or three just like those. I think I’ve broken the handles out of all of them. We cut cedar for posts, but it was done with chainsaws and it was invasive eastern red cedar. If you don’t keep your pastures brush hogged and the cedarcut here you’ll end up with a whole pasture full of them in a few years.
    As for the hoopies, some of those repairs sound kind of familiar!
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Yep, but by time you came along, duct tape had taken the place of bailin' wire.

My favorite part was drivin' with no brakes.

I’ve hung more than one muffler with a coat hangar!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Coat hanger?? Oh, you mean welding rods?

Those things were the cat's meow with a gas welder. I had an old '49 Plymouth hoopie that was 90% held together with clothes hangers in one form or another. They also made great am radio antennas.

The part in the book where they poured water in the master cylinder is pretty out there though.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Yep, I'd be willing to bet that brake pedal had a bit of a "spongy" feel to it.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Jim - you don't have a draw knife in your pile of "inventory".. I need one.. prefer an 8" .. looks like modern ones are junk.. vintage ones are supposedly cheap at flea markets and sales - but cashy on ebay..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

I've sold all that I've had Hidey Ho. They are huge sellers and very profitable (as you've seen, they're pricey on eBay) and I've prolly sold 50 of 'em! Whenever I list one, it sells immediately. I sold one just recently that went to one of the production companies for the TV show, "The Walking Dead". Lynn and I are huge fans and I'm constantly looking for that old draw knife to show up in one of the episodes.

I'll sure give you a shout if I run across another one ... well, once we're allowed to have estate sales again.

Here's another one I sold just a couple weeks ago, although it's a 9-incher, it was a nice one. It was an old "Blue Grass" knife. Nice wood, tight with no splits and the end caps were intact and tight. The blade was in great shape and still sharp. I "let it go" for $47.50 .... it sold 6 hours after I listed it. (Must'a under-priced it)

DSCN6010.JPG DSCN6011.JPG

DSCN6012.JPG DSCN6018.JPG

One of the old tools that belong to my granddad that my cousin has is a fro tool for making wood shingles. We had an old log barn on the place that had handmade wood shingles on it. I can’t image the work that went into that roof.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

That'd be a froe P-hole. I bought one a year or so ago and had no clue what it was, but I recognized the name on it (Gransfors Bruks) and knew I had sumpin' valuable. Once I figured out what it was, I listed it and don't remember persactly, but I'm 90% sure it brought close to $200. Old hand tools are one of my main targets at estate sales and I usually head straight for the barn or tool shed if I spot one behind the house.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    If you went through our house, and then the garage, you'd go ape snot blind and crazy. Old stuff everywhere. And not just me and Mama, either.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

If you need the place cleaned up, I'm available and work for junque.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I'd give you a little bit just to get you to change your Avatar.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Why? 'Cause I'm handsome and you're jealous?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    looks like it was a nice clean one, Jim.. Lots on ebay are big time rust.. We had both a draw knife and a spoke shave around here when I was a kid.. Haven't seen them for 50 years.. I better check and see if Dad poked them away somewhere.. Are "planes" worth anything? I have several - one probably 18" long..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Planes sell like hot cakes and I couldn't tell you how many bazillions I've sold. Lately, I've been down to nothing but "parts" planes sold for "parts or restoration". A few weeks ago, one of those went to a guy in Sweden who said he restores them and needed parts from mine.

This pile of junkers just sold 3-days ago.

DSCN6472.JPG

I've sold all my spokeshaves but have a cabinet scraper listed as we speak (Stanley No. 80).

To answer your question, like the draw knives, planes are big sellers, but like anything else, pricing is all over the map, depending on brand/model/condition, etc.

How much for one of these?

E347E8B0-7D5C-4929-B3E1-41C3EDF24558.jpg
    Viva Renaldo!

Dunno P-hole. Brand? Size? TBH, pipe wrenches are a dime a dozen and are very seldom worth the cost of shipping. Even the antique ones are almost impossible to dump. Izzat one something special? Can’t tell squat from the pic, although it looks like an old Rigid from what I can see. (18-inch maybe?)

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Dunno P-hole. Brand? Size? TBH, pipe wrenches are a dime a dozen and are very seldom worth the cost of shipping. Even the antique ones are almost impossible to dump. Izzat one something special? Can’t tell squat from the pic, although it looks like an old Rigid from what I can see. (18-inch maybe?)
    It’s the one julie uses to knock sense into his head. That’s why he’s wantin to get rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She could do all the knockin' she wanted and there'd STILL be no sense in that ol' haid!

You ain’t much of a noticer, Thumper.

Any noticer would have noticed that a: it is a monkey wrench and b: it is left handed.

Which makes it very rare, and very expensive.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Damn!!! I’m slipping in my old age! Heck, I should have recognized it as, growing up, I couldn’t tell you how many times I used a left-handed monkey wrench to replace the muffler bearings on my hoopie. My bad.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Dad gave me a bunch of old tools like that that were my grandpa's but I have no intention of selling them. Might have to come up with some sort of display once I get the new shop completed.

And if I live long enough to attend your estate sale, I’ll buy those tools for 50-cents apiece.

I used to love collecting stuff until I started going to these sales. That’s when I discovered how little dad’s collection of gizmos means to the rest of the family, no matter how much of a sentimental connection the actual collector had. Sad in a lot of ways, but it’s an unfortunate reality. I’ve seen it so many times, it no longer affects me.

I’ve also quit collecting ANYTHING. It’s a rude awakening seeing how your stuff is treated after you’re gone.