Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ribs

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar

Ribs

We don't eat a lot of red meat (beef, pork) mostly do to the wife. (she's the cook, so I have little choice ;>) )
    But now and then when we eat out I'll order a nice steak or some ribs.
    What I've found is I like to eat the ribs cold even better than hot, I'll order a full portion, then take the other half home for lunch. Nothing like fall off the bone ribs smothered in a nice mild sauce.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Good ribs have to be in my top 2-3 of all things to cook on the grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m with you on the cold ribs. One of our favorite bbq places is Billy Sims BBQ. I always order extra ribs when we get takeout there.
    But I like a little heat in my sauce. ‘Rufus Teague Made Some Sauce Touch o’ Heat’ is a dang good sauce.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I much prefer braised beef ribs over BBQ. I usually only eat BBQ sauce on boneless meat, something about sticky fingers ruins the experience for me. I use a vegetable puree to braise them in, excellent eating if I say so my self.

I'm also a fan of cold ribs (Lynn also). Many, many years ago, my dad and I used to go camping from time to time. On one trip, he brought along a big ol' batch of ribs and had them in the cooler. That evening, I told him I'd get the fire going so we could heat the ribs. He said, "What for?" That was actually my first time eating cold ribs and I've been hooked ever since. Lynn will make a rack and we'll eat ribs hot, but whatever is left over never gets re-heated!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    You people are all freaks whom I now put into the same category as those lunatics who like cold pizza for breakfast.

Will

I will add, it only works with good ribs. If too fatty .... well, eating cold lard just doesn’t cut it.

Willy, I’m with you on the cold pizza. I know a lot of people love it, but I ain’t one of ‘em.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar

Ribs

What do you expect Chilly Willy? Some of these people put gravy on french fries...

Last edited by Chicken Dinner; 04-22-2020 at 08:39 PM.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

You gots’ta live waaay north to do that!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Poutine is incredible

You’ve been ruint by Tim Hortons!

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I firmly believe ribs are the goal to which all "smokers" should strive.. I know "brisket" is the Holy Grail..and I like it..but .... ribs.... that's where it's at.. by the by.. I refer to pulled pork as the "floor sweepings" of bbq.. I can make that shit in a crock pot.. with deer.. and it's better...
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

I’m with you. I am not really good with brisket and its mainly because I’m not that much of a fan. Plus I ain’t paying that much for a damned dewlap. They’ve gotten ridiculous.
    CD introduced me to burnt ends and its the best way to make a cheap chuck roast that there is. I could eat my weight of them. A local place makes them from pork bellies and I’ma try that soon.

If you really want to start an argument bring up ‘fall off the bone’ ribs vs ‘competition’ ribs.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    If you really want to start an argument bring up ‘fall off the bone’ ribs vs ‘competition’ ribs. BKB
    Yeppers, Lynn and I are at opposite ends of that argument. I can eat both actually, but prefer "fall off the bone" .... in her opinion, it's a crime to cook 'em like that.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Have both a Rec Tec and a Green Mountain 'portable' smoker. Pellet smokers have solved all the problems of smoking. I have had every brand, including custom made, that there is. Pellet grill solves problem of constant temp, still adds enough smoke.

That said, HH is nuts. Pulled Pork is hard to do right. You have to get the meat to above 190 or it won't "pull". 208 is ideal, but I usually stop when it hits 195. Then, you have to actually pull it, not chop it. I had a sandwich of it last night. I've made that for groups of 40, and most every time I get those looks "How did you DO this?"....any meat can be made edible by putting it in the oven, but to compare oven baked pork vs. true smoked, pulled pork, is blasphemy. It would take a Yankee (and an ugly one), to say such things. I would easily enter any competition with my pulled pork.

On the other hand, you can make edible ribs by simply rubbing liquid smoke on them and baking. If you get a good quality rib, and you take the membrane off, they are edible. That said, I can NOT make 'competition grade' ribs. I have read all there is to read on it, and tried everything. Oh, they are edible. But never great. But they better NOT fall off the bone. The bone is the eating handle!

Brisket is above my ability. I made my first one about 10 years ago. Truth is, that first one was good. Since then, I've tried and tried, and it's not just fair, they're actually bad. And WAY too expensive for this poor boy to experiment much with. I wish I knew how to do it right. If I was as good at brisket as I am at pulled pork (shoulder roast, or Boston Butt), I'd keep trying. But at this age, I've given up on brisket.

So, I'm great, fair, and awful on the 3 types of meat................but I keep trying.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Well, 'Rub.. I realize Iowa isn't a hotbed of BBQ - and we probably don't have the gourmets as in the "South" or "East" or "West". Roasted two deer shoulders with dry onion soup.. 'pulled" them - put them in the crockpot with Sweet Baby Rays Set them up at an icefishing get together.. a number of people of people tracked me down to tell me it was the best pulled pork they ever had.. floor sweepings...
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

TBH, when I go for BBQ, my go-to favorite is a pulled pork sammich (with a good sauce and good coleslaw ON the sammich). Lynn is a rib gal all the way. Also, when it comes to ribs, she likes 'em dry, I like 'em wet. As I said, total opposites on ribs.

Brisket ain't BBQ unless you're a Texican.

We call those Arkansas Pig Sammiches around here. Gotta be on a toasted bun.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

Yep, just like your double-posts ... I usually order two sammiches!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
    Well, 'Rub.. I realize Iowa isn't a hotbed of BBQ - and we probably don't have the gourmets as in the "South" or "East" or "West". Roasted two deer shoulders with dry onion soup.. 'pulled" them - put them in the crockpot with Sweet Baby Rays Set them up at an icefishing get together.. a number of people of people tracked me down to tell me it was the best pulled pork they ever had.. floor sweepings...
    I smell a challenge. Glady accepted.....(not the ice fishing part. No way). I'm sure it WAS the best they ever had.....since they probably never left Podunk County, I-OH-WAY! LOL

P.S. Sweet Baby Rays is ok in a pinch. Head Country is all I use, though.

And by the way, BBQ is an adjective to describe sauce. It is NOT a verb. That's because good smoked meat is just fine without sauce. But you NEVER add sauce during the cooking process. It's a condiment, added to cooked meat, if you want. I do like a little, but it's only on the sandwich, or bun, either........
    Last edited by Buckrub; 04-25-2020 at 01:32 PM.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I almost never buy ribs out as I prefer my own. When I try a new BBQ joint, I always go brisket as it’s the hardest thing to do consistently well. But, when it’s done well it’s amazing.

As much as I hate to admit it, the best I’ve ever had was in Texas. Austin of all places, too.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    My middle son spends time all over the US, usually Mon thru Thurs. He's a food junkie, and his favorite place to work is Austin TX, claims they have some of the best BBQ joints in the US.
    He has his favorites in Boston, Little Rock, Rolly-Durham,& NYC,but Austin is his favorite.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Almost all Texas bbq is beef. Bull to be specific.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

BBQ in Austin is beef and the inhabitants are about as Liberal as Berkley. (If that tells ya’ anything)

I may ostracize myself but I think pork ribs are the most overrated cut of meat that comes off a pig. I’m not saying I refuse to eat them, just that they’re not the best part of a pig by a long shot imo.

Beef ribs, that another story completely

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    I may ostracize myself but I think pork ribs are the most overrated cut of meat that comes off a pig.
    How would you rate Bacon?

Proof that there is a God that loves us

I'll eat most anything that comes from a hog, from pig snouts and ears, to feet and tails. BUT ... that doesn't mean those are my favorite cuts! (don't forget the pork rinds or cracklin)

Q/A, regarding ribs, I'm pretty much with you on the overrated opinion and I've had some of the best this country has to offer. Lynn always goes for the ribs, if I have an option, although I don't dislike them, ribs are lower on my list. Even Thai food ... if pork is an option (as opposed to chicken, beef, seafood, tofu, etc) ... the choice is almost always pork. Back to BBQ ... give me a big ol' pile'o pulled pork and I'm all over it! But it doesn't matter ... pork chops, tenderloin, bacon, ham, pork sausage ... even thinly sliced, cooked crispy, FRIED SPAM if you want to carry it out that far.

The Spam is my favorite part of the hog!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Did you know you can mix a little cayenne pepper in flour, coat your spam with it, fry then make gravy in the drippings and serve over biscuits and it’s larrupin