Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ribs

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    What you goofs are calling "Bbq" (which I've already told you is an adjective, not a noun, and not a verb), is actually "smoked meat". And we eat it because of slaves. The slaves were given the worst parts of the animals as their food. In their ingenious ways, they devised a method to make these cuts of meat edible.....mostly by slow and long cooking.

They deserve a statue for this effort.

Some of you eat weird. It is sad.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    secrets in the sauce

Quote Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
    secrets in the sauce
    If that's true, the South Carolina and Georgia people should be banned from ever mentioning this meat again. I love all areas of smoked meat. People argue about which is best. The best is the one I'm eating AT THE TIME. But GOOD smoked meat does not NEED BBQ sauce. If the sauce is good, then some is ok. I like a good vinegar based sauce. But the orange or yellow drivel sold in Georgia and S carolina for BBQ sauce is of the Devil.

And you can quote me.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    Bucky, I have a Rec Tec and love it, I also have a green egg and love it. I made some pork belly Burt ends and they were the best BBQ of any Lind I have had. I am picking up a case of pork bellies next week to make them again.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    What you goofs are calling "Bbq" (which I've already told you is an adjective, not a noun, and not a verb), is actually "smoked meat".
    Well, you've been spouting that for years, but we all know what we're talking about here. And, I ain't no danged English major, but I have no clue how you can state that like it's fact (assuming you're serious). For grins, I looked it up. I see "barbecue" listed as a noun or a verb, both of which you say it is not. Nowhere do I see it listed as an adjective, which you say it is.

barbecue

NOUN

Pieces of beef, pork, fowl, fish, or the like, roasted over an open hearth, especially when basted in a barbecue sauce.

A framework, as a grill or a spit, or a fireplace for cooking meat or vegetables over an open fire.

A dressed steer, lamb, or other animal, roasted whole.

A meal, usually in the open air and often as a political or social gathering, at which meats are roasted over an open hearth or pit.

VERB (used with object), bar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing.

To broil or roast whole or in large pieces over an open fire, on a spit or grill, often seasoning with vinegar, spices, salt, and pepper.

To cook (sliced or diced meat or fish) in a highly seasoned sauce.

VERB (used without object), bar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing.

To cook by barbecuing or to entertain at a barbecue: If the weather's nice, we'll barbecue in the backyard.

So, although it's understood, do we really have to say "We like barbecued (insert meat here)" to be proper and meet your definition as an adjective? Then we would have your adjective if that's what floats your boat. To ME ... using barbecue as an adjective would be more like ... well, I dunno ... maybe biting into a sammich and saying, "That tastes barbecuey to me!"

That said, I agree with you about S. Carolina BBQ (the sauce is mustard based). Not my cup'o tea personally. Sorry, I'm not a huge dry rub fan (Lynn is) and the sauce is as important as the meat imho. (that may be blasphemy to some purists, but to each his own)

North Carolina uses a lot of vinegar which I do like, but it makes my bun soggy. I'm more of a sweeter, tomato based sauce kind'a guy myself. Sauce is a whole 'nuther subject and that discussion can also morph into "thinner sauce vs. thick" (I prefer thinner, but not watery thin), to the thick, gloppy, mostly corn syrup stuff, but again, personal choice) Throw me a Memphis style pulled pork sammich with a sweet Memphis style BBQ sauce and a scoop of coleslaw crammed in there, then I'll slap yo' mama or anybody else who get's in the way.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

actually we are split on the mustard versus tomato based BBQ sauce, I like both or nothing at all.

We have to speak in generalities here A/B .... not everything is set in stone. Many of the (non-yellow) counties above are a tie between mustard and something else. I guess the point is, you'd be hard-pressed to find common usage of a mustard based sauce anywhere but in S. Carolina. Howzzat?

It's like the Corona Virus ... it's spread south into parts of Georgia (as Bucky alluded to above). They need to eradicate that stuff before it drips down to the Georgia/Florida border!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Well, you've been spouting that for years, but we all know what we're talking about here. And, I ain't no danged English major, but I have no clue how you can state that like it's fact (assuming you're serious). For grins, I looked it up. I see "barbecue" listed as a noun or a verb, both of which you say it is not. Nowhere do I see it listed as an adjective, which you say it is.

barbecue

NOUN

Pieces of beef, pork, fowl, fish, or the like, roasted over an open hearth, especially when basted in a barbecue sauce.

A framework, as a grill or a spit, or a fireplace for cooking meat or vegetables over an open fire.

A dressed steer, lamb, or other animal, roasted whole.

A meal, usually in the open air and often as a political or social gathering, at which meats are roasted over an open hearth or pit.

VERB (used with object), bar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing.

To broil or roast whole or in large pieces over an open fire, on a spit or grill, often seasoning with vinegar, spices, salt, and pepper.

To cook (sliced or diced meat or fish) in a highly seasoned sauce.

VERB (used without object), bar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing.

To cook by barbecuing or to entertain at a barbecue: If the weather's nice, we'll barbecue in the backyard.

So, although it's understood, do we really have to say "We like barbecued (insert meat here)" to be proper and meet your definition as an adjective? Then we would have your adjective if that's what floats your boat. To ME ... using barbecue as an adjective would be more like ... well, I dunno ... maybe biting into a sammich and saying, "That tastes barbecuey to me!"

That said, I agree with you about S. Carolina BBQ (the sauce is mustard based). Not my cup'o tea personally. Sorry, I'm not a huge dry rub fan (Lynn is) and the sauce is as important as the meat imho. (that may be blasphemy to some purists, but to each his own)

North Carolina uses a lot of vinegar which I do like, but it makes my bun soggy. I'm more of a sweeter, tomato based sauce kind'a guy myself. Sauce is a whole 'nuther subject and that discussion can also morph into "thinner sauce vs. thick" (I prefer thinner, but not watery thin), to the thick, gloppy, mostly corn syrup stuff, but again, personal choice) Throw me a Memphis style pulled pork sammich with a sweet Memphis style BBQ sauce and a scoop of coleslaw crammed in there, then I'll slap yo' mama or anybody else who get's in the way.
    Of course you see that they list it wrong. Bunch of Illuminati Left Wing Commie Pinko Liberal No-Taste-Bud Jerks. I'm right and they're wrong! LOL

Truth is, that was all tongue in cheek (you never do that, do you???). I'm just trying to make a point. I know how it is commonly used. Heck I do it too (Its Sunday, I have to confess, right?? LOL) sometimes.

My real point, without the emotion, is that I have had all the BBQ (see? I can do it too) in all the regions, and it's truly all good. KC, STL, Texas, Carolina, Georgia, and all the conglomerations in between. I hate cabbage and I hate mayonnaise, so I hate slaw. It's nice to be in Texas and not have to ask "hold the slaw". But others like it. The sauce is NOT the secret to me. A GREAT sauce can sort of make a fair sandwich or rib taste better. FOR SURE it can take dry meat and make it better. But good meat is good without sauce.

Two old friends here bought a Whole Hog franchise. They have some of the best quality meat, pork, beef, and chicken. But they cook everything the way HQ says to, and it's dry as a bone. They have these 6 packs of sauce bottles, 6 different flavors. That's sort of their thing. But it's needed to be able to chew the stuff. Yet, many folks really like their food.

But yeah, you are 100% right about the words, I was just stirring the pot. I thought that was allowed.

Airbud, I spend a lot of time in York county, S.C. Well, not a lot, but some. Least I used to, before I had to hide under the bed. I'm still looking for their vinegar based bbq place.

Son lives in Savannah. Fried shrimp is the best anywhere outside Orange Beach. But BBQ? I don't even try. Meat is ok. Sauce is beyond being able to eat.

By the way, all you have to do MOST bbq places is ask for the sauce "on the side". The truly good ones don't put sauce on meat as it's cooking anyway. But it's the mustard based stuff that I can't stomach. It's like the orange crap they put on wings. Ugh!! Only Kribbs can eat a bucket of that stuff (and I've seen him do it).

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    Proof that there is a God that loves us
    ^^ ^^

and *dam* it's refreshing to argue over something besides politics and Covid.. Thank You My Good Friends!
    Last edited by HideHunter; 04-26-2020 at 11:06 AM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Oh, BBQ argume ..... I mean DISCUSSIONS can cover more ground than politics if you get enough people involved.

Yeah Buckster, I’ve heard your “BBQ is an adjective“ so many times over the years, I just assumed you were stating it as fact. I never understood and always disagreed, I just never said anything. Ok, now, it’s understood, you’re just FOS.

I’m being dead serious when I say I’ve had BBQ in every state in the union, including Alaska & Hawaii. It was a personal goal of mine and I completed that mission in 2009. That doesn’t mean squat really because I could be eating crappy bbq in one joint, while the best bbq in the state is two blocks down the street. At least I leaned on my good friend Google to find what the locals considered the best joints in town, but those opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. What I like, may not be what you like.

Oh, and any sauce on my wings will be red, not yellow. Generally, if there’s no smoke coming out of my ears, the wings aren’t hot enough. But, on the flip side, Lynn makes a kick-ass teriyaki wing that I can’t get enough of. My favorite wing is fried, dumped into a big bowl, then I’ll empty a bottle of Tiger Sauce in the bowl, shake it all up for an even coating and I’ll eat my weight in wings! Sweet with a bit of heat, but you can’t get anything better out of a bottle imho.

Yeah Buckster, I’ve heard your “BBQ is an adjective“ so many times over the years, I just assumed you were stating it as fact. I never understood and always disagreed, I just never said anything. Ok, now, it’s understood, you’re just FOS.
    Sigh. Secret is out..........

My favorite wing is fried, dumped into a big bowl, then I’ll empty a bottle of Tiger Sauce in the bowl, shake it all up for an even coating and I’ll eat my weight in wings! Sweet with a bit of heat, but you can’t get anything better out of a bottle imho.
    this is me exactly^ except I like Texas Pete buffalo wing sauce...

But Hey!...I gotta try that there Tiger Sauce for sure!...I think others here love it too? I remember hearing about it in a different topic some years back?

Yep, any time the subject of wings comes up, I mention Tiger Sauce since it's been my favorite for probably 20 years or more. I think Chicken Dinner tried it once and now I think it's his family's favorite if I remember correctly. Bwana was going to try it, but I don't know if he ever did.

tiger sauce.jpg

As a similar alternative (and MUCH cheaper), we always have a very large bottle of Thai Sweet Chili Sauce in the fridge. You can get it at any Asian market and it's definitely the most economical way to go for a fairly similar flavor profile. I don't think we're partial to any particular brand. (Tiger Sauce is my all-time favorite, but I have zero complaints about the Thai sauce and we also use it for egg rolls, etc)

thai sweet chili sauce.jpg

Speaking of ribs, these are about half way done. Head country seasoning, no mustard or jelly, just dry rubbed. Some apple, and in about an hour imma slather some dukes Carolina gold on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This...

Oh, and I wet them down every hour with some apple cider vinegar

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar

Ribs

Thump, I’ve used Tiger Sauce (with a little butter) on my wings for years. I think it was on your recommendation originally. Even though I like them hotter, it’s something the whole family enjoys. (I’ll usually go for a mango-habanero when I’m out.). The last couple of batches, I’ve used Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet Chili Wing Sauce and really liked it. I even put it on one of the last racks of ribs I did. I will try and look for the Thai brand.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Thump, I’ve used Tiger Sauce (with a little butter) on my wings for years. I think it was on your recommendation originally. Even though I like them hotter, it’s something the whole family enjoys. (I’ll usually go for a mango-habanero when I’m out.). The last couple of batches, I’ve used Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet Chili Wing Sauce and really liked it. I even put it on one of the last racks of ribs I did. I will try and look for the Thai brand.

I know you are a mayo nazi, but tiger sauce, a little mayo, and a little sirachi... makes an outstanding sauce that is straight up like longhorns boom boom shrimp sauce.

Beautiful looking ribs there! (PLEASE don't ruin 'em with that South Carolina mustard sauce!)

Yeah CD, Thai Chili Sauce is also sweet without a lot of heat (similar to Tiger Sauce as far as the heat factor is concerned). I'm sure it would be the same with the family, they'll probably like it, but if you're looking for heat, you may want to add some extra chili. We always have it on-hand and usually use it, so Tiger Sauce is a treat these days. One thing is you have a lot more flexibility buying volume, instead of those little (pricey) bottles of Tiger Sauce. We've bought the big 64-oz. jugs, but Lynn doesn't like them taking up so much room in the fridge. So we usually buy the 32-oz. bottles as they fit the rack in the fridge door. I'm not familiar with this brand but the Aroy-D basically means "Good-Delicious" in Thai. The Asian markets usually have about 5-6 different brands available, but I don't know which brands may be better than others. Lynn always does the shopping, so I don't pay much attention to things like that.

springrollsauce.jpg

Oh, BTW, Tiger Sauce also has a Habanero version. I've never tried it as I'm not crazy about habanero. I don't really mind it, but if I have a choice, I prefer a different chili.

Attachment 11561

Beautiful looking ribs there! (PLEASE don't ruin 'em with that South Carolina mustard sauce!)

Too late.

Thump, we've gotten hooked on a very similar sauce.....I put it on just about everything.

chili.jpg
    Southern Gentleman