Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
I SIMPLY READ THE CHECK!!! It's issue by POLK COUNTY. It ain't Fed. It ain't State. The county wrote the check.

Well, excuse the "F" out'ta me. Just because the county wrote the check doesn't mean it's county money. The county didn't acquire it through local, county taxes. I said I don't know the exact route the money takes, whether it goes from the Feds directly to the counties, or goes to the State and is THEN dispersed to the counties and THEN dispersed to the residents. I'm deeply saddened I can't provide you with those facts at this time (which are most likely available on-line) ... but either way, I realize it would be paid by a county check. So bite me.

It's like the extra $600 added on to STATE unemployment. That is Federal money (through the CARES Act), but the STATES determine when it's dispersed to the unemployed .... so I assume it would be a STATE check even though it's Federal money. (again, I don't know as it's direct deposit, so I never see a paper check). There's actually a big stink here now due to the fact the unemployment checks have been held up by the State and the State has been slow getting the money out to the unemployed. Come to find out, the State sat on the funds for a while before finally starting to pay the benefit ... all the while drawing interest on that money. There is an "I-team" investigation going on right now. I'll cut & paste here:

Florida's unemployment fund, separate from the federal fund where Florida is withdrawing the $600 checks, earned nearly $25 million in interest in the first three months of the year, according to an accounting record obtained by the I-Team. In March, Florida was the only state that was taking in more money to its state unemployment fund than it was paying out in benefit checks.

The bottom line is, as you so kindly pointed out, the actual ($2000) check comes from the county. I know that, I can read. I just have no idea the exact route it takes from the Feds to the county. But if you want to point out my ignorance about something that really doesn't mean squat in the overall picture, have at it. It's what you do best.

The whole point of the post was to call attention to a program I didn't even know existed in the hopes it may help someone here who may want to check with their own counties as it's funded through the CARES Act (which is FEDERAL). There may be similar programs in other states/counties ... I have no clue.

Here's the first sentence on our COUNTY website, so I would have to assume the Federal funds are available to ALL states.

"Qualified Polk County residents and small business owners may now apply online for financial assistance through Polk’s portion of the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act grant."

(Payouts to businesses are based on number of employees. Individual citizens receive $2000)