Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medical question.....

Medical question.....

About 3 years ago, I waded out in waist deep water to replace a board on the boat dock, and scraped my ankle on a tree root.....it barely bled, so I didn't think too much of it.....that night, my leg got really red, and began throbbing bad.....I made it thru the night on Tylenol, and went to my doctor the next morning.....he explained that even the slightest break in the skin can allow some very bad bacteria from lake water to enter the bloodstream.....he put me on 7 days of Cipro and Bactrin, and a heating pad to draw out the infection.....I recovered just fine.
    About 3 weeks ago, I did nearly the same thing on my fish pond here by my house.....this time, however, it was on my ankle.....I've gone thru 2 visits to the ER to receive antibiotics by IV, along with 2 VERY high-powered and expensive antibiotic prescriptions, and my ankle is still not 100% healed.
    Doc said it developed into cellulitis, which he said was a real biatch to heal.
    Any of you guys ever had an accident like this???
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    My older boy did when he was 8 or 9. The cellulitis turned into MRSA and almost killed him. He ended up in the hospital for a week on IV antibiotics and lost most of the hearing in one ear as a side effect of one of the meds. So, don’t a screw around with this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Dang! I’m gonna be askeerd to stick my toe in the lake now. Thanks a lot guys ... for NUTTIN’!

BTW, I CAUGHT MRSA while in the hospital, but it cleared up with treatments. Nasty stuff and the docs/nurses had to put on spacesuits every time they came in my room.

There is a plus side though, it’s in my medical records and even though I was cured, it stays in my records permanently. The plus side? ANY time I’m admitted now, I automatically get a private room. That was a major “benefit” once I got out of ICU and seemed to spend the next 5 years or so in and out of the hospital.

^^^DAY'UM^^^.....my ankle is almost healed, but think I'll let doc look at it, again.
    Southern Gentleman

Wadaya need it for anydamnway? You have another one! 😉

Never heard of that but I’m glad you have recovered!

When I had lasik years ago I had a dive trip scheduled for two weeks later and asked my eye doc and the surgeon if ocean water would be a problem right after lasik. they both said NEVER open your eyes under water in the ocean because of all the infections. Of course, I can’t get in any water without opening my eyes so I guess I’m a dumbass. (shutup Thimper)

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Wadaya need it for anydamnway? You have another one! ��
    Yeah, but wouldn’t I be walking around in circles???
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    When I had lasik years ago I had a dive trip scheduled for two weeks later and asked my eye doc and the surgeon if ocean water would be a problem right after lasik. they both said NEVER open your eyes under water in the ocean because of all the infections. Of course, I can’t get in any water without opening my eyes so I guess I’m a dumbass. (shutup Thimper) BKb
    Well, I'm not sure who "Thimper" is, but I'll comment!

Did you ever consider wearing a mask when you dive?

Seriously, I grew up being almost permanently waterlogged. You can't walk a straight line for more than a mile without hitting a lake here and when I was growing up, NOBODY ('cept rich people) had "built-in" pools. As kids, we practically lived in the lakes or of course, the ocean if at the beach. Cuts and scrapes were common as a kid and never given a second thought. PLUS, I always thought salt water was a natural antibiotic and the thought of "catching" something from the water never crossed my mind. I always opened my eyes under water also and don't believe I ever owned a mask ... or if I did, I certainly didn't carry it around with me! As kids, our "uniform of the day" was a pair of shorts ... no shirt, no shoes. We got hot, we jumped in the nearest lake, played for a while and moved on to other adventures.

Heck, we even used to drink out of garden hoses when we got thirsty!

I guess it's a different world now ... unfortunately.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Yeah, but wouldn’t I be walking around in circles???
    Not sure about you, but I could always use my "third leg".

We have had some kind of toxic blue-green algae growing in some of the reservoirs here in recent years. I’m not sure why its here just npw or if it is just discovered. It is said to work you over pretty fast and likely kill you if you get infected by the bacteria in it.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    We have had some kind of toxic blue-green algae growing in some of the reservoirs here in recent years. I’m not sure why its here just npw or if it is just discovered. It is said to work you over pretty fast and likely kill you if you get infected by the bacteria in it. BKB
    As our old friend Mr. Co9 would say, "It's Bush's fault."

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    just drink a little bleach before you go in

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Hey BM, sounds like you should probably invest in a pair of wadders. ;-)

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Medical Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    Hey BM, sounds like you should probably invest in a pair of wadders. ;-)
    My problem is I wear nothing but tennis shoes and shorts, from Feb. thru Nov., and get cuts and bruises, frequently.
    Southern Gentleman

All I wear is shorts and flip-flops from February to February.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    I get what you are saying BM, it just seems to me that you've gotten a couple of warnings already, at this point future actions are entirely your call.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    I get what you are saying BM, it just seems to me that you've gotten a couple of warnings already, at this point future actions are entirely your call.
    You are very correct, and I will be taking more serious precautions, when working around those unhealthy conditions.
    Southern Gentleman

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I never wear shorts and wouldn’t be caught dead in flip flops or crocs, although I have been known to sit out on the front porch early in the morning in T-shirt and my drawers

But they look good on you Kribbs

Shorts, tee shirts, amd flip flops are my spring-fall uniform. I may drag on a pair of jeans, cowboy boots, and a collared shirt if I have to attend a funeral.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Well, I did wear jeans, tennis shoes and a button down shirt to my mom’s funeral, but she was kind’a special, so I felt obligated.

Q/A, when you’re as “GQ” as I am, you look good in ANYTHING! That said, I’m with you 100% on the Crocs.

Day'um, I'm sure glad I got a good drug plan.....after the two IV drips, Doc put me on Zyvox antibiotic pills, which retails for $2,648.00 bucks at CVS, but I had to pay only $47.00 bucks for a weeks supply.
    Southern Gentleman

Those strong antibiotics will give you a case of the dirty hurries! Don’t wait till the last minute, ifyouknowwhatimean.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Eat lots of yogurt. That will help replace the good stomach bacteria.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Good ole buttermilk will help, too.....with a pone of hot cornbread, of course.
    Southern Gentleman

If I drank buttermilk, I’d be blowing chunks from the OTHER end!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    If I drank buttermilk, I’d be blowing chunks from the OTHER end!
    WOOS
    Southern Gentleman

I loves me some buttermilk pancakes, biscuits, etc, but anybody who would drink the stuff should be considered legally insane!

TBH ... I had quite the traumatic experience as a young kid (maybe 10 years old or so). I was spending the summer with my grandparents in North Carolina and came into the house one hot afternoon for something cold to drink. I looked in the fridge and spotted a carton of "milk". I had no clue what buttermilk was at that time and didn't read the label, but since nobody was looking, I pulled the carton out and took a big ol' swig! I didn't have a clue what hit me and thought the milk had soured and curdled. I made a bee-line for the kitchen sink and all but hurled! I must have spent the next 20-minutes rinsing that nasty shit out of my mouth!

So, that sir, was my unintended introduction to buttermilk and I never, EVER want to experience that again as long as I live! BTW, my grandfather would take a biscuit, break it up into a bowl and pour that vile crap all over it, then eat it ... he'd also have a glass of it before going to bed. It's no wonder he died "young" (64)!

barf.jpg

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Buttermilk was the inspiration for the tradition of the Indy 500 winner drinking milk. Louis Meyer was photographed drinking from a bottle of buttermilk after winning the 500 in 1936. The Indiana Dairy Council jumped on it and offered a bottle of milk to the winning driver and it became the tradition that is is.

In 1989, Emerson Fittipaldi won his first 500 and actually drank orange juice. Fittipaldi, who is Brazilian, owned several orange groves and wanted to promote that. He was resoundingly booed by fans at the time and when he won for the second time in 1993 he made sure he didn’t make the same mistake and did drink the milk.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Indy drivers AND fans are a bunch'a Nancy Boys!

NASCAR drivers have to turn sideways and drink a Coke with the label showing for a good camera shot, but when Jr. broke protocol and popped the top on a cold Bud in Victory Lane after winning Talladega, the crowd cheered!