Thread: You remember this?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar

You remember this?

I just finished up watching "Baseball" the Ken Burns series. A great show. And the memories. I always wanted to play baseball but my area didn't have a team. but up until the steroids scandal I watched it a lot. Especially as a kid.

Anyway, they had just a couple minutes on this subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB4eGNYMDKQ

I do remember that. Even as a kid. I was a Reds fan but was so jealous when the guys up north had this run.

Will

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I remember that team. They were fun to watch. I used to watch a lot of baseball. Before cable or satellite, NE Indiana would mainly get the Cubs, but I never became a Cubs fan.

I liked the Reds during the Big Red Machine era and then gravitated to the Tigers and have been a Tiger fan ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

I'm not a fan of ANY baseball, but I can see "Tiger Stadium" (Spring training home) from my backyard. They have spring training games with other teams and this place was a frigging madhouse (largest crowd ever) when they played the Red Sox a few years back. The Tiger's minor league teams (two, I think) are here for the whole season. They have fireworks after every game and we can watch them from our pool deck. It's a HUGE show on July 4th.

Many of the players stay at Lynn's hotel when they're in town. I'd see them all the time and she'd tell me their names, but none of them mean anything to me as I wouldn't know Jack Squat about them. She'd always get free passes to the games, but we always give them away. We did attend one game, but left in the middle of it (I was falling asleep). We went to a big "meet & greet" (private invitation) type thingy once, a few years ago, but I was just there for the free food and beer.

They also served the beer in glass mugs that were complimentary if you wanted them. I snagged maybe a half dozen of 'em before returning home. I figured I'd see if there was any interest in them on eBay, but ended up sticking them in a "holding pile" until they were eventually buried and forgotten about. They're nothing exciting (to me) and probably not worth the postage, but anyone here who might be interested, is welcome to one, two or whatever for the price of postage. They're not real big, 12-oz. I think.

DSCN7036.JPG
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar

You remember this?

Ill take them off your hands. I’ll send you a pm with my address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Got it Deppity. I'll dig 'em out (can't even remember persactly how many I have) and figure out the cheapest shipping method, then check to make sure it's worth it to ya'. I should know sumpin' tomorrow if we don't go over to the coast to watch the Space-X launch. (doubtful, lots of rain forecast tomorrow).
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain