Thread: Companies getting political ...

Companies getting political ...

I'm not a heavy Uber user, but have probably used them maybe 20 times the past few years. I get a credit from American Express for $200/year for "free" Uber rides, but have never come close to using all of it. I will say, I like the service and it's really handy to have available when needed. I've also used Lyft (3 times) and really don't find any significant difference between the two. I've never had a bad experience from either service.

But ... it bugs me a little bit when corporate America starts spouting politics. I received an eMail from the CEO of Uber last night and it goes on and on about how Uber supports the current "justice reform" movement, etc. etc. etc. It also seems to lean heavily on the oppression of blacks in this country (MY interpretation) and how "we" owe them.

I could post the whole email, if anybody is interested, but this will already be a "Thump post" and many will not read it due to it's length.

The title to the email reads: Uber stands with the Black community

Reading the entire email, I couldn't help but think of Joe Biden jumping on the "blacks are oppressed" band-wagon ... which feels (to me) like nothing but digging for votes. BUT ... that's just MHO and it's pretty much worthless since I'm a Deplorable anydamnway.

Maybe my thoughts are justified, maybe not, but I always hate it when the racism card is used one way, but the flip side is ignored. Here's something in this email that bugs me just a little bit. (Note: Any highlighting in the excerpts was done by me.)

.... the reality remains that Black Americans often don’t feel safe to move freely in many places around our country. And they still face enormous barriers that others do not. This is a reality we should not perpetuate or accept. We must do better.
    Then the email goes on to explain things Uber is doing to help change the situation. (Pay close attention to the highlighted word here)

We are committed to creating a community that treats everyone equally and with dignity. We do not tolerate discrimination, harrassment or racism on our platform ...
    Ok, I have no problem with that. The email goes on to explain a few new programs they are instituting. For example:

We are committed to supporting the Black community. As a starting point, we will use Uber Eats to promote Black-owned restaurants while making it easier for you to support them, with no delivery fees for the remainder of the year. And in the coming weeks, we will offer discounted rides to Black-owned small businesses, who have been hit hard by COVID-19, to help in their recovery.
    Ok, but are there no NON-BLACK businesses hurting due to COVID? What happened to the word EVERYBODY, which was used earlier? I'm sure there are plenty of small, (insert any non-black race here) Mom & Pop restaurants that are hurting right now. (heck, major CHAINS are hurting!) What are they? Chopped liver?

The email ends with this:

We know this isn’t enough. It won’t be enough until we see true racial justice. But we plan to work day in and day out to improve, learn, and grow as a company.

Lastly, let me speak clearly and unequivocally: Black Lives Matter.
    Sometimes I wonder what "racism" really means.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Here is another example of the same.

This is from an email that my wife’s received since she is on the TH mailing list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Arkansas football coach Sam Pittman has marched in a couple of them

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    It’s an interesting time for company’s and organizations. Even though these are external messages, there’s a lot of internal pressure from employees for them to take an external stand. It’s actually very challenging to thread this needle in a way that satisfies anyone.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I think this is a good time for me to leave this alone

There’s even a march happening in my little burg today at 4:00. Organised by BLM with willing participation from city government. It’ll be more like the Christmas parade than a protest.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Well, we did the Covid memes and I just couldn’t pass this one up.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar

I buy most of our movie tickets on-line, so I'm on their mailing list. I just received this email from Fandango today. Sometimes I think corporate America tries so hard to be "diverse" ... that they end up being just the opposite.

https://www.fandangonow.com/list/spo...ingBlackCinema
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Had a few protest marches here. Other semi-larger cities here. Most cops have 'taken a knee' with them, I guess in obeisance?

Got a LONG LONG email from CEO of Kroger. Biggest grocery chain. Goes under about 12 different names. Uber too. They are all getting "on board". Right, left, wrong, indifferent..........things are going to change very soon, big time. Just as an observer of things, this can't continue. Not the right time, family is already suffering, wife is not dealing with bad news very well. Me either I guess.

Almost every commercial is now "We're all Woke, so shop with us" type commercials. The worst are "You can buy a new car without touching it" type ads.

This time next year, no one will believe what happened....................the history of 2020 will turn out to be a 20 book boxed set.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I love the pizza ads they’re running now.

“Once your pizza comes out of our 450-degree ovens, we don’t touch it!”

What did they do before???