Thread: As I was munching on these last night ....

As I was munching on these last night ....

.... I was wondering if anyone else here eats 'em. I'm not a big chip eater really. If I DO eat chips, it's usually with a good dip of some sort. BUT ... there's one snack food that I'm pretty much addicted to. You can't find 'em everywhere, we buy ours at Fresh Market or Trader Joe's, but I'm sure they're available elsewhere, I've just never looked. They're dehydrated okra. Not sure what the official term is, they're just labeled "Okra Chips" which is a bit misleading if you've never seen them before. They look nothing like "chips", but are actually whole okra. They're a bit pricey (depending on how you look at it) at anywhere from $13 to $18 per pound, but hey, one piece only weighs about .0000000001 ounce! They're almost as light as air, so a good sized portion usually runs $5-$6.

Now don't get me wrong. I can't stand BOILED okra! You may as well be eating raw, green oysters and either of those are nothing but balls of pig snot imho. Now FRIED okra or these "chips"? That's a whole 'nuther story. I can seriously put away some good fried okra and as far as these chips are concerned, I can wolf these things down 'til the cows come home! If you've never tried 'em, do yourself a favor and pick some up. We normally just scoop and bag what we want from the bulk items area of the stores, but with this COVID mess, they're now pre-packaged at various weights. Try 'em ... you'll thank me later ... or hate me for getting you addicted. Oh yeah, ya' eat the WHOLE thing, stem and all. They've been one of my favorite snacks for many years. If ya' don't like okra, don't worry, think of it like potato chips, do they really taste like potatoes?

Note: This pic was taken after I'd eaten 90% of the package (left-overs from our weekend), then wondered if anyone here eats 'em.

okra.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Ha! I was curious as to where these things might be sold and ran across this blog. It pretty much verifies what I said above. Of course, when I saw the price label on the bag, I thought "that's REALLY cheap" ... then I realized the blog was dated 2011. I'm not familiar with Yoder's ... but it appears they sell them in the bulk items department also. Here's the blog:

Saturday after lunch my brother treated my family to a visit to Yoder's Market near Summertown, TN. Yoder's is owned by the Amish and they have an amazing assortment of goodies you won't find in other groceries. Mom and Dad were in the hunt for fried peach pies. Yoder's didn't disappoint.

Andy suggested we purchase a bag of their Dried Okra Chips. Oh my gosh! Even before we pulled out of the parking lot, we threw the car into park, ran in, and purchased a second bag. They are delicious! Easily the crack cocaine of the vegetable world!

okrachipblogpic.jpg

Never had them, but I’d give them a shot... I do like fried okra
    Boiled... nuh uh. It’s nasty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! I know Muddy will disagree, but I'm 1000% with you on the BOILED okra. Anybody who'd eat that stuff .... well .... is prolly from Loooosianna (or Mississippi).

Boilt okra is nectar from the Gods.....it will keep your belly plumbing cleaned out.....and, in a tight, you can use it to lubricate your door hinges,
    Southern Gentleman

"Boilt okra is nectar from the Gods"????? WRONG! Everybody knows that would be boilt peanuts!

Old Brummy liked it too!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Huh?

Oh, and for your second post, huh again??

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    "Boilt okra is nectar from the Gods"????? WRONG! Everybody knows that would be boilt peanuts!
    This from a guy who prolly eats chitlin’s...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Old Beummy? Boiled okra?

One hint: he was a dog.

Geeze.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Chittlin's is dessert, after eating the boilt okra.
    Southern Gentleman

Be safe today whatever you’re having for lunch Muddy. Big system gonna smack you it looks like.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Old Brummy liked it too!
    Old Beummy?
    I'm not the only one confused. Heck, you can't even make up your mind how to spell it!

Nope, drawing a blank here. Must be sumpin' I haven't read.

That's a negative CD, I'd MAYBE try "chittlins" ... but the smell of 'em cookin' kind'a ruins my appetite.

Now, I DO like a GOOD menudo ... but I have to emphasize "good" and to be honest, I either hate it or love it, but have a hard time finding what I like.