Thread: Some people can't see the forest for the trees.

Some people can't see the forest for the trees.

I worked a sale on Sunday that had been going on for 3-days, so I really didn't expect to find much in the way of treasure. There was a small workshop in the back of the garage and people had been digging through all the tools, etc, so they were scattered everywhere! The work bench had drawers full of little crap ... screws, nails, gizmo's, widgets and the drawers were just the usual catch-all spaces for "stuff". I was standing there watching everyone scrounging around and noticed a guy digging through a drawer next to me. I spotted a small hatchet head (no handle) in the drawer and he kept pushing it aside so he could dig through the other little, loose crap. I reached down and picked up the head, asked the dude if he was interested and he replied, "I don't know what good that little thing would do, what could you cut with it?" I suppose people had been pushing it out of the way for 3-days before I picked it up.

Well, I knew exactly what it was and snagged it for a few pennies. Ok, it's pretty rough, but I've seen worse. Somebody had been hammering on the poll and had it all buggered up and mushroomed. It also had no handle, but I didn't care. I brought it home, wiped the years of crud off of it and threw it up on The Bay yesterday afternoon for $100. These little babies will bring $200 in decent condition with the handle ... and even more if pristine. Well, it didn't even last 24-hours and somebody snagged it today. I may have under-priced it.

So, ya' got's one'o these layin' around in the bottom of your tackle box or in a junk drawer someplace?

DSCN7594.JPG DSCN7596.JPG DSCN7600.JPG
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Got one!.. I used to use it to chop frog legs off when I was a kid.. Had a neat little axe-style handle on it - but it's gone.. Not at all beat up - rusty... and can't see any markings on mine..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

It's junk ... send it to me and I'll clean it up before I throw it away for you.

lol... this one was laying in one of my junk cans amid the screws and nails.. I'm always amazed at the things you can sell.. keep 'em comin'..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

If ya' gots the time and ambition, ya' may want to dig up a handle for it and hang it. Neither of these are pristine, but ....

This one just sold for $207.95

minihatchet1.jpg

And this one went for $199.99

minihatchet2.jpg

yep... probly need to see if I can get someone to whittle one..

Save yerself some work! (It's 11" long and would prolly work.)

https://www.discountcutlery.net/CTKH...e_p_87848.html

It might at that.. thank you..

Ya’ may want to search the net to see if you can find the exact measurements on a handle. It’s a mighty small eye on those heads.

BTW HideyHo, mine was covered with (surface) rust also. I just hit it with the wire wheel on my bench grinder for about 5-mins. to clean it up. I couldn't even read the Craftsman logo before I laid the brush to it. I was surprised it had no pitting.

amazing how things happen.. was visiting with a buddy yesterday.. he is big into indian artifacts and especially axes.. I told him about your post.. he said, "dad bought one of those years ago to split pelvis on deer. it's up at the shop - last time I saw it it was immaculate." his dad's passed.. may see if I can trade him out of it.. more likely it will go on the wall in his artifact room.. we'll see..
    Last edited by HideHunter; 07-03-2020 at 12:09 PM.