three kids and four grandkids....my wife set the bar high as "beards" go

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    three kids and four grandkids....my wife set the bar high as "beards" go
    Word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    ^^^yeah - that^^^.. Going to help with a fish fry tonite.. friend puts on a fireworks display as big as many towns. and just got invited to a feed tomorrow.. Pulled pork (the floor sweepings of BBQ - (BuckRub )) and hellacious good potato salad.. Happy 4th!
    Last edited by HideHunter; 07-03-2020 at 09:38 AM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar

We don't have a darned thing planned as far as I know. I guess I'll have to check with my Events Planner to see if we're doing anything special. At any rate, youse dufes have a GREAT 4th!

4th-drinking.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar

Just a little message for the 4th

Working all through the weekend. Not looking forward to it.

We are a big lake area and a normal 4th weekend is crazy. Add in the urge for everyone to make up for all the quarantine time, very hot temps (highs in the 90’s all week), and a full moon on top of it all, and I’m really dreading it.

I’ve noticed my tolerance for people with attitudes is strained and with the current climate towards my profession, there are more people willing to voice their attitude. I’m starting to think that after 30 years on the job, I’ve about had my fill and for the first time, I’m really thinking that’s it’s time to get out.

I’ve got a week off starting Monday, I hope to make it through the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DeputyDog; 07-03-2020 at 01:20 PM.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Wow Deppity, you just awakened some negative memories from the deep vaults of my ol' noggin. I'd made up my mind, when I got out of the military, I wanted to be a cop. I followed up with my plan, but had to bail as I had to admit, I just wasn't cut out for it. I had a bunch of buddies getting together for a fun July 4th holiday (1975). Beer, BBQ, maybe a little baseball or tag football ... just a fun get-together with friends and family, but of course, as with all holidays, we had the whole force working. I was on patrol and it was a bazillion degrees out. What made matters worse, our "Chief' refused to let us put the front windows more than half way up in the patrol cars (I was running in a '73 Chevy Chevelle). His reasoning was, if someone should call for help, we'd never hear them if we're driving with windows up and a/c on. He was a real asshole.

Well, I was hot as hell and already in a bad mood as every time I rolled past the park, I'd see my buddies and their families out having a good time while I was working. To make matters worse, every frigging call I got was a drunk call. I picked one up who was so drunk he pissed himself and was belligerent as hell. Half way to the station, he puked his guts out in the back seat! (we didn't have the hard seats back then, just regular factory seats). I got him checked into the "Hilton" and called the motor pool to see if I could switch cruisers, but they were out of spares as all were on the road. I always had to pull the seats anyway after an arrest (to check for stashed contraband), but this time they were covered with barf and I just hosed them down. Now, on a HOT day with no a/c to speak of, hosed off or not, I still had to drive around in a hot car smelling barf the rest of the day.

Well, the day went downhill from there and the last drunk I had to transport was in a fighting mood. He called me every name in the book and I used all the little "tricks" I could get away with getting him into the cruiser. I cranked the cuffs down as tight as I could without breaking skin and I made sure to whack his head against the door frame as I threw him into the back seat ... on his back of course, so he'd land on top of the cuffs and couldn't roll off his back. We didn't have to belt 'em in back then so that's how he had to ride (of course I took the roughest road I could find to get back to the station, so I could bounce him around a bit). What really pissed me off is, when I pulled him out of the cruiser, he spit in my face (no hoods back then either).

I knew for sure, if I pursued this career, I'd end up pulling a Rodney King on some f'er and prolly end up in jail myself ... definitely in the climate cops have to work in today. I spent my last day as a cop in August of 1975 and never looked back.

One of the biggest negatives I remember from those days is, since I dealt with nothing but assholes, I started feeling like the whole world was made up of nothing but assholes. My personal life was a shambles because we were short of people and since we didn't have enough volunteers for the night shift, the Chief had us on rotation. Now tell me how f'ed up this is. We worked three day shifts (12-hrs., 6am - 6pm), then had 1-1/2 days off, then worked three night shifts (6-6), then repeat. You'd spend you whole 1-1/2 days off simply getting your sleep schedule adjusted for the next shift change.

I feel your pain brother and I respect your patience. I couldn't have made it for 30 MONTHS, much less 30 YEARS!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

These knuckleheads don’t even know it isn’t the 4th of July yet.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Deplorables.

So youse dufes only tell people Merry Christmas on Dec. 15th?