Thread: Thump..

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar

Thump..

.. oh purveyor of all exotic and interesting things ebay.. buddy found his Dad's.. Said it had gotten moved from hunting stuff to junk drawer - so wasn't as clean as he remembered..(hadn't seen it in 30 years ) it is intact though it has two little machine screws in it to tighten the handle.. Other one is mine.. I'm betting it is a Craftsman - under the rust.. He'd part with his.. I'll probably keep mine if I can find a handle..Anyway --- I've never tried selling anything on ebay.. How bad is the learning curve?

20200705_104142.jpg
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Cool beans Hide! That Craftsman has the same exact head I just sold and also matches the pics I posted of recent sales. Vintage stuff is touchy, many people love "patina" and grunge on certain items, but when it comes to axes/hatchets, I believe the cleaner the better. I hit mine with a wire wheel (have one on my bench grinder), clean 'em up and oil 'em down. I truly believe, when it comes to hatchets and axes, the cleaner the better. I'd get that head shined up, then see what I could do to clean the handle up, then rub in some linseed oil (or whatever you have handy) to get it looking as nice as possible. Beauty sells imho. I'm not sure what the best thing would be to do with the screws. Possibly remove them and install a small wedge (?). Or maybe, just leave it alone (?). Personally, I'd find a way to get rid of them, but it would all depend on whether you'd create more harm than improvement. With your background and experience, I think you can figure out the best thing to do.

Yours very well may be a Craftsman also, it's pretty much what mine looked like before I cleaned it up. When I bought it, I could see there was a maker's mark, I just couldn't read it. Your poll is also a lot nicer than mine as mine had been hammered on and mushroomed, but the head alone still brought $100 in less than 24-hours. If that axe and handle cleans up well, I'd sure consider listing it at $200 without hesitation.

If you decide to list it and need me to walk you through the listing process, email me at thumper1952@verizon.net and I'll post a step-by-step. It's not difficult really.

As for eBay, I believe you're already registered with them, correct? Do you have a PayPal account?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Yes.. I have bought a few pocket knives.. and did set up Pay Pal.. I'll get mine cleaned up.. I may consider trying to move a few things.. as I mentioned I have several old wood working planes (one 22" long).. Buddy (same one with the hatchet) has a full 6 pack of the cone top old beer cans still in the original cardboard.. and various odds and ends.. thanks - if I decide to do something I'd appreciate some input..
    Last edited by HideHunter; 07-06-2020 at 11:14 AM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

If you run across a cherry ‘55 Nomad stashed in a garage at a sale pick it up for me wouldja?
    Stuff it in a first class envelope.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    If you run across a cherry ‘55 Nomad stashed in a garage at a sale pick it up for me wouldja? BKB
    Ha! That might be something I'd keep for myself. I have a buddy in California who has a '57 Corvette, a '57 Nomad as well as a '57 Cameo (he's obviously into '57 "glass" cars)!

In fact, we worked together in the custom car business back in the day, then went into business together. Well, actually, HE started his own business and I went with him (it was just the two of us). We did restorations on higher end classic cars. The last project I remember working on with him was a Mercedes 300SL Gullwing.

I just did a quick Google for him and found a pic of him with his '57 'Vette. Thanks for the reminder, I need to give the dufe a call and get caught up ... it's been a while.

(This is a test to see how well anyone here may know their classic Corvettes. There's something "special" about his and it's visible in the pic. Anybody?)

littlejohn.jpg

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    All them old cars are ugly.

That’s HIM .... the car is on the right.

Its missing the ‘cowcatcher’ front bumper.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Its missing the ‘cowcatcher’ front bumper. BKB
    Good eye, but I'm not sure if that was an option or not between different models. Half of the '57's I've seen have 'em, the others don't. BTW, 100% of the '57's produced were convertibles.

Naaaa, the HUGE thing is the emblem on the side ahead of his left knee. His is one of only about 1000 '57's produced with the fuel injection option and 1957 was the first year to offer a fuel injected engine. The emblem has the "Fuel Injected" script followed by the crossed flags. A very rare car.