Thread: This is my friend and doctor......

This is my friend and doctor......

I just found out about this, tonite.....Reed has kinfolks here in my hometown, and is my GI doctor, as well.....he's been performing my colonoscopy for years.

Looks like he may have found a piece of the covid-19 puzzle.

https://www.northsidesun.com/node/17....BqRawl9i.dpbs

(it takes a moment to download)

BREAKING NEWS

Northsider Reed Hogan's over-the-counter Covid-19 treatment cuts death rate 25-40%

COVID-19 Treatment Success with a Combination of Two Over-the-Counter Drugs -- Pepcid and Zyrtec

NORTHSIDER REED HOGAN'S OVER-THE-COUNTER COVID-19 TREATMENT CUTS DEATH RATE 25-40%

Northsider Dr. Reed Hogan
    By Wyatt Emmerich, READ MORE > 33812 views
    On Tue, 07/07/2020 - 04:28 PM
    COVID-19 Treatment Success with a Combination of Two Over-the-Counter Drugs -- Pepcid and Zyrtec Stops cytokeine storm

Jackson, Miss. --- It began with a treatment for skin inflammation. Then, Reed Hogan II, MD, began pondering if an inexpensive, available, over-the-counter treatment might also work in severe gastrointestinal illness, much of it caused by inflammation. He was seeing success. Then, COVID-19 hit. He connected the inflammation dots, and wanted to attack the cytokine storm of the novel virus.

He contacted a leader in the nation’s largest pulmonary organization to start a physician-sponsored study with critical hospitalized patients. The result: his team cut death rates by 25-40%, down to 15.5%, and 8.2% not including those with DNRs (do-not-resuscitate orders). They also reduced the intubation rate (need for a ventilator) down to 16.4%, a reduction of 1/3 to 1/2 of reported rates in the pandemic.

“I wanted to see if we blunt the cytokine storm with medications anyone in the world can find and afford,” said Hogan, partner with GI Associates in Jackson, Mississippi. The study was not sponsored by a pharmaceutical company or government grant, but by the physicians of GI Associates themselves.
    Mag Sebrell 200701

Working to treat a large group of patients, many already in intensive care units, the ages of these very sick patients skewed towards 60-plus in age, with many coming from nursing homes. Based in Mississippi, where general health is often compromised due to socio-economic issues, these patients averaged a high 2.7 in co-morbidities (other health problems). Of those patients, 59% were African-American and 59% female, according to the data.

The selected drug combination included an allergy (antihistamine) and an antacid (acid-reducing drug), commonly found on shelves that have been safely used for decades. While the answer appears simple, it is actually quite complex. These two meds, cetirizine and famotidine, work to block H1 and H2 histamine receptors, producing a one-two punch against inflammation, a deadly factor the cytokine storm of COVID-19, according to Hogan.

With the historically safe nature of these common drugs, and the lack of other proven therapies, Dr. John Studdard, well-known for his leadership in pulmonary medicine, and the physician practice group, Jackson Pulmonary Associates, agreed to try the treatment in critically-ill patients. Two weeks later, positive results began to emerge. This meant sending people once on the edge of dying, home to complete recovery.

“It was pretty dramatic. We thought the data might be too good to be true, but the positive results kept coming,” said Hogan.

While many of the other treatments being offered require specialized equipment, or expensive drugs or biologics, this protocol uses drugs already on pharmacy shelves. The savings could reduce treatments that cost in excess of $3,000, to potentially less than $100 in drug costs.

“The drugs are so scalable, easy to produce and inexpensive, that this combination should be readily accessible to impoverished countries across the globe,” said Hogan.

While the drugs they are using have long had approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), still their new approach is off-label, thus not currently approved for the treatment of COVID-19. This initial study included a cohort of 110 patients. The research article has been submitted for publication review; a preprint of the manuscript is available at

https://doi.org/10.22541/au.159406460.01530066 <-----Read this

Testing on a larger scale in well-controlled, rigorous trials are warranted by these favorable results, according to Hogan.

“It is an optimistic result in a time when people are vulnerable. Dr. Hogan is striving to do good in a time of need. This has the potential to be a remarkable weapon against this worldwide pandemic,” said Douglas Paul, PharmD PhD, partner in Medical Marketing Economics.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 07-08-2020 at 12:13 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

That would be awesome!

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

That's pretty cool! I hope further research backs up his initial findings.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    He, that's good news. We could use some, thanks for passing it along.

This is kind of where I am placing my hope. That we find ways to mitigate the effects of this thing. Not, that we can't or won't find a vaccine for this coronavirus.... but we never have before. And even if we do most won't be able to afford very easily it I'd guess.

Will

I've got my fingers crossed, as well.....I know Reed well enough to know that he has thoroughly researched this project, and would never put his reputation on the line, otherwise.
    This would be a God-send for the scientific community, in the fight against this day'um virus, as well as the human race!!!!!
    Southern Gentleman

We’re going to have to have a breakthrough like this to be able to reopen schools. I don’t know how many of y’all have been in a grammar school classroom recently but it ain’t conducive to not sharing germs!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I hate being a pessimist, but if the schools and universities DO open in about 6 weeks, they won't be open for long.....young folks have that "I am young and indestructible" attitude, and just will NOT practice proper social-distancing.....new cases will skyrocket, and they'll shut down, again, in less than a month.....jmho, but I pray I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 07-08-2020 at 10:17 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Sounds interesting Thump. Sure hope Trump doesn't say so though cause you know where that goes.

Right! Look what happened with Clorox and sunshine and hydroxychloroquine! Those damn dems.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
    Sounds interesting Thump. Sure hope Trump doesn't say so though cause you know where that goes.
    Thump???? Just remember, I'm the handsome one. Muddy is the fugly one. It's easier to tell us apart that way.

Thump is the one with the giant head.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Need room for that giant brain!

It rattles like a bb in a boxcar.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I think you need to grab a stool, sir.

Lung lavage is an actual treatment. Look it up. Clorox story is just plain wrong, as usual. Hydroxychloroquine, used in conjunction with zinc and azithromycin (an anti-biotic) actually works no matter the hate Trump b/s that prevented it being used. People died that didn't need to. When politics, especially this kind of politics that interferes or prevents effective medical treatments just because you hate Trump, is sad and pitiable.

There aren’t many facts there John.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

All facts Barry. Do a little non-biased research.

Ha! Don't mind him Johnboy. He's just getting cantankerous and curmudgeonly in his old age. I just went through the same in my "Quershun" post and got this response from the cranky old Okie.

You’re gonna need to show a little more proof if you’re stating that as fact.
    I came back with quotes and links to websites (proof?) ... but it didn't mean anything as he's like talking to a solid wall of snowflakes lately. (more like a stubborn old mule actually)

Bite me!

Which countries have approved hydroxy for use with Covid? Certainly not Canada or the US.

Maybe they’re just listening to the wrong set of facts.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

And don’t forget Brazil! Look at the lives its saved in Brazil.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Sigh.

A sigh of relief when the truth dawns!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

No, a sigh of resignation that the truth is subjective in some peoples minds.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    From MSN no less.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...er/ar-BB16hifu

BM, did that report say what the two drugs are? Why weren't they named (if they are, I missed it).
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Read closer, grasshopper:

"""The selected drug combination included an allergy (antihistamine) and an antacid (acid-reducing drug), commonly found on shelves that have been safely used for decades. While the answer appears simple, it is actually quite complex. These two meds, cetirizine and famotidine, work to block H1 and H2 histamine receptors, producing a one-two punch against inflammation, a deadly factor the cytokine storm of COVID-19, according to Hogan."""
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Antihistamine (cetirizine)is Zyrtec----Acid-reducing drug(famotidine) is Pepcid.....both available over-the-counter.....Zyrtec is a little expensive at about $27 for 180 tablets, but the Pepcid is only about $8 for 100 tablets.....wife just got back from WM, and got us stocked up with plenty of both, just in case.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 07-08-2020 at 07:23 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    amazon advertises Cetirizine at 365 tablets for 13 bucks

wonder how it is as a preventive?
    Last edited by quercus alba; 07-08-2020 at 07:49 PM.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Grasshoppers don't read well. Has to do with beady eyes, or something.

FWIW, I have a pile of Famotidine. I had to get that when Zantac (Ranitidine) was found to cause cancer. I don't take Zyrtec because us old heart patients aren't supposed to take some antihistamines. Or maybe it's epinepherin. Or maybe it's Jack Daniels. Man, I am not sure any more.
    Last edited by Buckrub; 07-08-2020 at 09:16 PM.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

That’s a great deal on the Zyrtec, QA......I’ll tell my wife about that.

I got no idea about your preventative question.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    generic Zyrtec goes under the name Cetirizine.

Yep, you are correct.