Thread: Memories, tears, irony and random, personal thoughts.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    I met Larke over 20 years ago, not long after we stopped to meet and greet on our annual trip to FL. during spring break.
    We decided to meet in the parking lot of Winn Dixie in Matthews, he asked what we were driving and told us to look for an unmarked police car when we got there (ya, like I knew what his unmarked car looked like)
    We arrived on time and as we drove in he flipped on his lights to let us know who he was. After a quick introduction he said to follow him home. Kay was rather nervous about the situation, and got really concerned following him down some North Carolina country rounds, she was convinced we'd never be seen or heard of again.
    On the way he pulls into a elementary school to pick up David from the first grade, that settled Kay down a bit. We then drove out to the farm (before the house was built) and he showed me around while Kay entertained David. Later on we went to his house, introduced us to his parents (who we'd spend the night with) and settled down to a great first time visit.
    Side note, if you ever met his mother Janice, you would know the definition of a real Southern Lady !
    After that meeting it was pretty normal to stop by every spring and spend a night or two with Larke, Cheryl, Janice and Evan. on our way down.
    Had a chance to go to Rabbit Camp one spring, deer hunting a few times and turkey hunting a couple of times, (famous for falling asleep in the woods as a nice Tom walked by ) Last turkey hunt was with #3, and watched Larke call in a nice Tom from about a county away for Dougs first kill, then a few weeks later Doug received a nice package in the mail with the fan mounted and a nice brass plaque attached.
    We finally convinced Larke and his family to venture North one summer, spent about a week with us, I think it was his first time North of the Mason/Dickson line. He was really surprised with how nice 85 degrees felt with no humidity. Took him and the family for a boat ride on the bay, he was looking over the side and warned me about the huge rocks under the boat and told me to slow down, I smiled and showed him the depth finder reading 42', he was blown away. We then went to a friend cabins on the Manistee River for about a half hour tube float, as we walked though the woods and meadow he kept looking around and I asked him what he was looking for, he said "snakes", I laughed and said no copperheads, rattle snakes, or water moccasin and don't worry about alligators as the water is to cold.
    The other thing he couldn't get over was as we walked into the river he remarked he could see his feet in two feet of water.
    As far as going out of his way to help people, when #3 was laid off from the State Police, Larke called and asked if he could help, Doug mentioned if there was an opening in the NC DNR for game wardens, a few days later Larke called back and said he'd set up an interview and physical test for him and to come on down. We had a great trip, Doug past the interview and test with flying colors, but found out he had to go through their academy for the job. A year earlier he had just graduated from 6 months at the State Police Academy and didn't really look forward to going though another, but was very impressed on how quick Larke had set this up.
    About 5 years ago we arranged for Larkes mother come North for a visit, great time with a great Lady, I think just a year later she started to have health problems and couldn't travel anymore.
    Last big adventure with Larke was back in 05 when we put in application for Mule Deer in Montana, we didn't get drawn on the first round but Larke got drawn on the second round, I did not. He was going to cancel but convinced him that I'd love to go along just for the trip, seeing as I was just retired and had nothing else to do. Stopped a Bawana's house for a night and a day of bird hunting, the onto Troy's place in Sidney. Troy and Larke hit it off really quick and being old and needing a nap, I let them two go out and shoot some Prairie Dogs together.
    Most of you think Larke was fearless but I found out his one weakness, he hates heights. We took a side trip through the Roosevelt National Park just before you enter Montana, some of the roads are along some pretty steep and deep drop off's, I happen to come a little to close to one and found Larke sitting in my lap as I was driving, he did not like looking down that cliff.
    Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it, sure will miss that man, he was one in a million.
    PS:
    Larke was good friends with Randy Travis and a number of years ago Randy was giving a concert up here. I mentioned that to Larke and he said did you buy tickets yet, and I said no, so he calls Randy and had tickets waiting for us at the concert a long with a meeting with him after, Randy's road manager had us wait till all the other people had their change to meet him and then he would have more time with us.
    Really a nice guy and we spent time telling our stories about Larke and then Randy telling his, I don't think people really knew about all the connections Larke had with people and politicians.
    Last edited by jb; 08-01-2020 at 11:39 AM.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me