Thread: Mac vs PC

Mac vs PC

I bought my wife a Macbook Pro in 2011 and its still working great, has great performance, and we’ve never had a virus and never had malware. The OS is no longer supported with upgrades and I keep wondering when some of our critical apps like our tax software isn’t supported any more but so far so good.
    I never had a PC product last over three and there were always security and virus and malware issues. Maybe its improved, I dunno, but I know if/when this one dies I’m buy another Mac!
    My iPad Air2 I bought in 2014 right after this model first came out. My battery is getting funky so I’ll likely retire it to a life as some sort of server in the house.

I have my issues with Apple overall, but you sure as hell can’t beat their performance. They’re the Toyota of compooters!
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    I've never owned an Apple, have always gone with PC mainly because back when I got into CAD, it was the system that ran it best and also the system that let me talk to other CAD users.
    I've always ran good security software with my PC, Norton, PC Matic, and Carbonite as a backup.
    I'm in the same situation, by main system is still running Windows XP Pro., my desk top is Windows 7 and my CAD is AutoCAD LT 04
    all of which are no longer supported.
    So when things should ever crash I'm .SOL., but with 16 years of drawing files, billings, letters, pictures, etc it's a risk I'm taking.
    To damn old to switch to anything else.
    Now #2, who works for a very large international software company will only use Apple, mainly for the same reasons you mentioned.
    So, for you, I"d stick with what's familiar .
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

One main difference nowadays is how many people DON’T have a desktop or even laptop computer. Of my four kids, only one owns a laptop and that is a work computer. The other three do everything they need, even business email, on their phone. Except when they have a need to come run my printer cartridges dry.
    I still can’t see being without one right now, although I do have most of what I need on my iPad.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands)
    Apple!

Even Capt always reminded me to stay withApple.

I have a 2013 Mac Pro It just updated.

I don’t do anything like banking etc on my phone.
    Everything goes through the Mac Pro, because of better security.

It took me a long time to switch over to Apple, but I’m glad I did.

I've had a Windows based P/C since they first came out with Win95, so I'm comfortable and familiar with the O/S. I do like having a p/c because I spend most of my time on it in my office and have a monitor as big as a drive-in movie screen. I do a LOT of eBay work and trying to do that on a tablet is just a PIA. I do have a laptop that I travel with, but it's also Windows based.

I've bought 3 tablets and each had the Apple O/S. I'd always end up frustrated trying to go to Apple from Windows and the tablet would just end up sitting in a desk drawer. The first one, I finally gave to Lynn's mom. The second one, I "traded" to Lynn's brother. The third one is right here beside me where it's been for the past 2-1/2 years. I've tried to use it a few times, but again, get frustrated and throw it back on the desk to gather dust. I guess I'm just too old to change and I've been using Windows for so long, it's all I can handle. Odd, but when we go to the west coast, Apple is ALL you see. You'd be hard pressed to find anybody using a Windows based machine out there. I suppose each has it's pros and cons. I've always heard Apple has no issues with virus', but I can't even remember the last time I had a virus ... it's been many, many, MANY years. I run an anti-virus program and have the Geek Squad as backup in case something slips through, but I've never needed them.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

One is no better than the other in my opinion. Different advantages, different drawbacks. If Macs were "all that" like they've been saying for decades, they would have pushed Intel windows machines out of the market, yet Macs still make up less than 5% of corporate machines. Just trading one set of problems for another in the end. Run what you like at home.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    MACs were great prior to 2014 in my opinion. My daughter has one that she used from her Junior year in highschool and she's still using it for her master degree in college. But my work one is going to shit after 3 years of use, and so is my wifes. They captured the market they were going to and now are focused on making profits, and there doing that by reducing quality while hoping to keep the market they have.