Thread: Where to host?

Where to host?

How y’all wanna do this? Len did exhaustive research and came up with a few options that will host a site like ours.
    it basically means we won’t have a software license nor have to worry about the issues that come along with owning it, we won’t have to have a technical admin, ony administrative ones, and hopefully the expenses and platform will be more stable than what we have now. Those are pros, I’m sure there are cons but I’m too ignorant to know what they are.
    Some folks like FB, some don’t. We can have a discussion or we can have a vote.
    At this point, I have much more on my plate than I can say grace over so I don’t have the time or patience to deal with it.
    Y’all, or somebody decide and tell me where to log in.
    BKB

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-free...rds-set-forum/
    https://www.proboards.com/
    https://boardhost.com/
    https://www.quicktopic.com/
    Viva Renaldo!

And I guess the other two options are to a: do nothing and when the site crashes or gets hacked try to cobble something back together, or 2. use the fb page we already have created. This is problematic because of social media policies at some of our members’ employers. We ain’t exactly ‘ready for prime time’ when it comes to be so ially acceptable.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    If we can find a host that will take us and doesn't use a censor rod or ban hammer then I'm all for it. Even if it costs a little more. If we have to mind our P's & Q'S and can't talk trash about Kribbs then we're right back where we were 20 years ago.

even tho I would never do those things

I just did a quick looksee and .......
    Quick topic doesn't have threaded topics. It's a single topic discussion. It looks like each topic has it's own separate page

Boardhost is very similar to this one (example) http://flagcounter.boardhost.com/.

Proboard appears to have the capability for us to export ours over to it.
    Last edited by quercus alba; 08-11-2020 at 11:16 AM.

Has anybody checked with Foo to see what he’s been able to find out? Archer? I’ve just been letting things settle a bit after Cappy’s passing. Ya’ think Hammerhead could dig around Larke’s file drawer and find a folder with info and passwords? We have a few options to explore, but the majority rules ... so I’ll roll with whatever the general consensus is.

What’s the rush? We’re paid up with Go Daddy for AT LEAST a year. (Possibly 3) If we have some sort of major malfunction, we have the FB page as an emergency meeting place, same as before. We just used it to re-group after the crash like 10 years ago! Nandy used to do some tech work for us also. I’m still in touch with him, but I’m not sure he has time to do anything here either. There are options and we’ll need to address them at some point relatively soon, but the world isn’t at an end quite yet. But then again, it may be a problem that I’m a big-time masterb ...... errrr, I mean procrastinator! 😉

Jim, I’m good with any decision y’all make. And there is no hurry. But as I said before, if the site goes down, we’ll play hell getting it back up.
    Foo and Len and Nandy are certainly welcome to pipe up on that risk, as I’m just a user.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Jim, I’m good with any decision y’all make. And there is no hurry. But as I said before, if the site goes down, we’ll play hell getting it back up.
    Foo and Len and Nandy are certainly welcome to pipe up on that risk, as I’m just a user.

BKB
    And a consistent one at that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    think of this as a contingency plan.

Remember the words of Sun Tzu " prepare for what your enemy is capable of doing, not what you expect him to do"

Or the old Boy Scout motto - Be Prepared.

‘Course I thought we were prepared by having a common meeting place on FB. 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Or the old Boy Scout motto - Be Prepared.

‘Course I thought we were prepared by having a common meeting place on FB.
    That you still haven’t checked in on...

Bitch, bitch, bitch! Done already.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I'm with Barry.. whatever is decided.. If it's not so complicated I can't get there.. I'll be there.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

^^^^^Ditto, for me......what Hide said^^^^^
    Southern Gentleman

Yep, I'm in of course. I'm just old, crotchety and set in my ways, so I'm resistant to change. I'm fine with FB, but right now it reminds me of when AO ousted us and we had this site and Mauserman's site running concurrently. I kind'a figured we'd stay here until the end of the run, then switch over to FB. I've been over there and the only complaint I have is following the threads and having to click on the replies to follow the comments. Like anything else, it's just a matter of getting used to it. I'll admit, I haven't looked, but is there a place for "Private messages" like on the current site? Sometimes it's preferred for sending phone numbers, email address, home address, etc.

FB Messenger is there, Jim. Make messaging a lot easier and hard to miss/ignore.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Got it, I just hadn't thought to look.

So we’ll just run along here in stereeo for a while.

And see what happens!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Administrator

what do i know?

Thumpy,
    I can get into the database and maybe save some things like pictures and stuff. i haven't actually got onto the server yet. The server talks to the database, so the database is just 1/2 the puzzle. I did get onto the admin page too, but there's not much to do there. I think the server SSH passwords were in my laptop. That I dumped a glass of very fine wine into.
    --Foo

Well, I received notice that Larke’s wife found the log-in and password info, but I haven’t received it yet, so I don’t know exactly what they access.

That may not be what you think it is, Jimmy. Cheryl called it "GH password" or something like that. What we would really need is the godaddy account info. I could have sworn I had it at one time but I'll be damned if I can find it. Worst case is we just start the DNS thing from scratch and call it something else. But to Barry's point, we're good for at least a year.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I’m glad you are stepping to to the plate to handle this Len... good man.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty View Post

Disturber of Poo ^^^^
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    That may not be what you think it is, Jimmy. Cheryl called it "GH password" or something like that. What we would really need is the godaddy account info. I could have sworn I had it at one time but I'll be damned if I can find it. Worst case is we just start the DNS thing from scratch and call it something else. But to Barry's point, we're good for at least a year.
    I’d have to assume that’s for the Go-Daddy account, but who knows? Anybody know if she’s forwarding it to anyone in particular? I know it’s far from a priority for her right now. There’s no immediate rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty View Post

Suck shit through a rag, fuckwagon.

Um, I mean.... I don't have the time or inclination to take that stuff on but am happy to serve in an advisory role.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.