Thread: 2020 College Football Thread

2020 College Football Thread

It looks like the B1G and Pac12 are done this year. The Big 12 just punted the decision until later, as has the SEC and ACC playing follow the leader and staying put for now.
    What do you thonk the chances are we see Div 1 football this year? What is the FCS doing? They don’t seem to be making the headlines much.
    If I was a star player, there is no way I’d want to blow a year of eligibility for a season that won’t have a National Champion amd possibly won’t last past Halloween. What is the NCAA doing to grant players a free year if they decide to sit it out?
    On the upside, it possibly gives the NCAA and schools a year to chew on how they’re going to compensate players for using them to produce revenue for the school.

My own bet is they don’t play a down at div 1 level.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I agree that no one will play. The MAC had already cancelled their season before the power conferences started to.

Kinda sucks. I have a friend whose son is a Freshman this year at Purdue and was recruited to be a OLB/Safety for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

HA, just go ahead and give out the 2020 champ. trophy to Satan, and save all that NCAA money for next year.

On a more serious note, my g'son's college is planning to open the baseball season, and hopefully, honor his scholarship.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 08-12-2020 at 09:30 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I wish the players would band together and say" if we don't play this year then we don't play next year either, make it happen". Football is just as safe as sitting in a classroom or eating in a restaurant maybe more so with better access to testing and treatment

QA you can deny reality as long as you want, it won’t change the facts. Any place there have been throngs of people there have been breakouts. It happened in Tulsa and we’re just now seeing new cases drop to just three times what they were on June 20 when the protests and political rally happened. They went up from a 313 rolling average on Jun 20 to almost 1200 in July. They’re just now getting back down to the 900’s.
    And the consequences of the Rushmore rally are being seen as well with Sodak rising to almost 10% positive rate. Sturgis is going to have epic consequences if the crowds they’re predicting come true.
    The only sport having success is the NBA with their bubble approach. Its what OU has done during summer camp and they’ve had very few cases. If colleges want to have regional bubble sites like the NBA is the on
    y way I see any games happening beyond week one or two.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I'm not denying reality Posty, until we create a vaccine or build up a herd immunity there's going to be outbreaks. And this is far more reaching than just what I want. College towns live and die to a great extent with sports. As do the people who feed and furnish equipment to not just the players but also the students, but I don't have to give you a lesson in economics because you no doubt understand it better than me. I guess what I'm trying to say is I know the difference between piss on my leg and rain. We send a multitude of 18-22 year olds out into the workforce every day with far less protection than the athletes have.

I think it's more about liability than anything else but that's just my jaded opinion. I'm kind of a sauce for the goose sauce for the gander guy. I'm also Irish and we imbibe resentment of privilege in our mothers milk
    Last edited by quercus alba; 08-12-2020 at 11:52 AM.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar

2020 College Football Thread

Neither conference is particularly relevant this year as far as the BCS. We could just have Bama and Clemson play a game and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chicken Dinner; 08-12-2020 at 04:38 PM.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

On a different but similar note I've really enjoyed some of the classic games ESPN is showing. Here's the rub, The Big 10 network, the ACC network, the Longhorn network, and the PAC 10 network all show 24 hour sports. The SEC network shows about 16 hours of prime time penis-head Paul Finebaum show. He's a Bama homer at best and a world class goober of the highest order all the rest of the time. Mostly the two overlap

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    I'm not denying reality Posty, until we create a vaccine or build up a herd immunity there's going to be outbreaks. And this is far more reaching than just what I want. College towns live and die to a great extent with sports. As do the people who feed and furnish equipment to not just the players but also the students, but I don't have to give you a lesson in economics because you no doubt understand it better than me. I guess what I'm trying to say is I know the difference between piss on my leg and rain. We send a multitude of 18-22 year olds out into the workforce every day with far less protection than the athletes have.

I think it's more about liability than anything else but that's just my jaded opinion. I'm kind of a sauce for the goose sauce for the gander guy. I'm also Irish and we imbibe resentment of privilege in our mothers milk
    I like the way you think.

I’ve been watching a course on Civilizations of North America on thatr Great Courses deal on Amazon. Its pretty interesting how disease and climate change (many times) forced big changes in how they even existed. Or not. We seem to want to be able to tackle this historically sized pandemic without changing much of anything. It’ll be interesting to see how far towards the cliff that our obstinance pushes us.

BKB

Sorry for the free association there. By ‘they’ I mean the various folk who’ve left big enough piles of shit laying around to be called a civilization.
    Viva Renaldo!

And QA, yes we do send those kids out to work, but we pay them.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Viruses, Plagues, and History by Michael B. A. Oldstone is an excellent read. I didn't realize it but Benedict Arnold led a force to invade Canada and take Quebec but smallpox broke out among his men and the invasion failed before it hardly started. Smallpox was the only reason Cortez defeated the Aztecs.

interesting stuff

There is one called ‘1491’ that is along those same lines and very interesting. Charles C Mann I think.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!