Thread: This would raise the hair on the back of your neck

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar

This would raise the hair on the back of your neck

BIL sent me this picture take from were he lives in CA.
    Dry lightening and the wild fires it starts.
    IMG_5050 (002).JPG
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

I've been extremely close (TOO close) to probably 3-4 lightning strikes in my lifetime and it doesn't just make the hair on the back of your neck stand up ... it makes EVERY hair on your body stand up! The weird thing is, the hair stands up BEFORE the lighting strikes. That's the scary part ... you know it's coming and it's gonna be VERY close, you just don't know exactly WHERE it's going to hit.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

One of the few things that will make me stop fishing!
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

"""it makes EVERY hair on your body stand up""".....Shirley Mae Kornbleut had the same effect on me in 6th grade.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    """it makes EVERY hair on your body stand up""".....Shirley Mae Kornbleut had the same effect on me in 6th grade.
    .... and SHE was hairier than YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    One of the few things that will make me stop fishing! BKB
    Yessir! I used to keep my boat in the Marina and spent almost every weekend out on the Gulf (of Mexico) during the summers, but I'd usually head in so I could be back around 3:00 in the afternoons because you could almost set your watch to that being when the afternoon thunderstorms would roll in. I'd been out scalloping one day and was a bit late headed back to port and got caught in a heck of a thunderstorm and it got ROUGH! I had three friends aboard and the chickenshits all hid in the cuddy cabin while I was battling the storm and trying to spot the channel markers at the entrance to the harbor. Lightning bolts were actually striking the water around me! It really looked like some sort of Hollywood movie where mines were exploding or artillery rounds were hitting. I'd never experienced anything like that in my life and have never witnessed it since. In a way, it was fascinating, but at the time it was scaring the bejeebers out'ta me!

I remember another time I was out on the Gulf fishing. I was anchored and threw a cast when all of a sudden my line lifted off the water and started rising up into the air. Then the boomer hit! I think I set a world's record for retrieving a line and weighing anchor that day. I was out'ta there and headed home within probably 2 minutes flat!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Yep, got caught up the river a few times in thunderstorms and it aint no fun...

Shelter is a few minutes away on the river. 10 miles from shore with about 1/8 mile visibility gets kind’a hairy! I had a compass, but no gps in those days. You just cross your fingers and hope you’re not being blown sideways as much as you’re going forward. I’ve never been so happy to spot those dang channel markers! 😳

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Makes a man wonder. The amount of energy in a big lightning strike is almost unfathomable. To me it is awesome in the old sense of the word.