Anybody still use 'em? When Lynn applied for unemployment a few months ago, I voided out a check in my checkbook and gave it to her for the account info to set up automatic deposit for her payments. I just paid my (quarterly) property taxes on-line and to avoid processing fees, they deduct the amount from my checking account. When I filled out the form on-line, I needed to enter my checking account info, so I grabbed my checkbook. Ooops! I guess the check I gave to Lynn was the last check in the book. No biggie, I went to grab a new checkbook to put in my little, plastic check protector thingy. Double oooops! I guess I moved my extra checks "someplace", but can't remember where I put them! Damn, I tore through both of my (home) offices (one is my old business office for everyday stuff, the other is for eBay), but couldn't find them anywhere! I finally located them in a downstairs filing cabinet that Lynn used to use for her business, but is now a catch-all for .... well, stuff. One drawer is for legal papers for her in case something happens to me ... my will, house title, car titles, banking info, IRA, VA burial info, etc. etc. .... so it was a "natural" place to keep the extra checkbooks.

Well, as I was placing the new checks into the holder, I scanned back through the ledger to August of last year. It appears I've written THREE checks in the past 12 months. I mailed a check to our HOA for our dues in January, I also sent a check to our broker to make an IRA contribution in January and I wrote a check to the company that did some tree work for me in April. That's it. At this rate, this new book of 25 checks should last me another 8-9 years! All my bills are paid on-line and many are automatically charged to my AmEx every month (love those flyer points ya' know?) or withdrawn directly from my checking account. 99% of what we buy is paid with plastic and we carry very little cash. I "might" have $15-$20 in my wallet, but haven't checked in so long, I'm not even sure. Even the guy who cuts my grass has a "Cash App" and I pay him on my cell phone.

I've heard of the move to a cashless society and am pretty much there already, but I have to assume we're also pretty darn close to a "checkless" society. All my eBay sales are paid via PayPal. My buddy borrowed some $$$ from me 6-8 months ago to jump on a deal for a used tractor he was buying, but was a tad short of funds ... I sent him some $$$ through PayPal. Any "checks" I receive are actually direct deposits into my bank. I guess, when it comes to paper "currency", I simply don't use it any more. My local bank branch even closed down (Chase) a couple years ago. They told me they don't need the branch anymore because most transactions are done electronically and they just don't have the foot traffic to warrant the expense. I now have to use the branch a few miles farther down the road if I ever need to go in.

Just curious. Is everybody pretty much in the same boat?