Thread: Paper checks??

Paper checks??

Anybody still use 'em? When Lynn applied for unemployment a few months ago, I voided out a check in my checkbook and gave it to her for the account info to set up automatic deposit for her payments. I just paid my (quarterly) property taxes on-line and to avoid processing fees, they deduct the amount from my checking account. When I filled out the form on-line, I needed to enter my checking account info, so I grabbed my checkbook. Ooops! I guess the check I gave to Lynn was the last check in the book. No biggie, I went to grab a new checkbook to put in my little, plastic check protector thingy. Double oooops! I guess I moved my extra checks "someplace", but can't remember where I put them! Damn, I tore through both of my (home) offices (one is my old business office for everyday stuff, the other is for eBay), but couldn't find them anywhere! I finally located them in a downstairs filing cabinet that Lynn used to use for her business, but is now a catch-all for .... well, stuff. One drawer is for legal papers for her in case something happens to me ... my will, house title, car titles, banking info, IRA, VA burial info, etc. etc. .... so it was a "natural" place to keep the extra checkbooks.

Well, as I was placing the new checks into the holder, I scanned back through the ledger to August of last year. It appears I've written THREE checks in the past 12 months. I mailed a check to our HOA for our dues in January, I also sent a check to our broker to make an IRA contribution in January and I wrote a check to the company that did some tree work for me in April. That's it. At this rate, this new book of 25 checks should last me another 8-9 years! All my bills are paid on-line and many are automatically charged to my AmEx every month (love those flyer points ya' know?) or withdrawn directly from my checking account. 99% of what we buy is paid with plastic and we carry very little cash. I "might" have $15-$20 in my wallet, but haven't checked in so long, I'm not even sure. Even the guy who cuts my grass has a "Cash App" and I pay him on my cell phone.

I've heard of the move to a cashless society and am pretty much there already, but I have to assume we're also pretty darn close to a "checkless" society. All my eBay sales are paid via PayPal. My buddy borrowed some $$$ from me 6-8 months ago to jump on a deal for a used tractor he was buying, but was a tad short of funds ... I sent him some $$$ through PayPal. Any "checks" I receive are actually direct deposits into my bank. I guess, when it comes to paper "currency", I simply don't use it any more. My local bank branch even closed down (Chase) a couple years ago. They told me they don't need the branch anymore because most transactions are done electronically and they just don't have the foot traffic to warrant the expense. I now have to use the branch a few miles farther down the road if I ever need to go in.

Just curious. Is everybody pretty much in the same boat?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I would like to go on record as being kind and benevolent for not grabbing this extremely low hanging fruit.

Len pays his bills in bitcoin because its, ya know, modern and shit.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I'll admit I'm a bit behind the times. Is there a modern term for what we used to refer to as Yuppies? He's always been there, but I just don't know what they're called these days.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Metro-sexual I think

I prefer intelligent asshole. I don't qualify for the Y,U, P or the other letters.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    I prefer intelligent asshole. I don't qualify for the Y,U, P or the other letters.
    that's how a lot of Cowboy fans view themselves

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't "intelligent asshole" mean the same thing as "smart ass"?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    paying your tree guy is probably the best example of when you need to write a check....I guess you could always run down to the ATM and withdraw cash for him but that's not as convenient...emergency weekend repair guy would be another example of when writing a check is more convenient...80% of my sub jobs are paid in handwritten checks, the rest is under the table cash.

I agree A/B, but I’ve had a bunch of similar stuff done around the house, but most of them just used their phone or tablet to swipe my credit card (like Square). All the estate sales I go to normally take cards the same way (swipe it with their phone). This tree guy just happened to be a .... ummmm .... well, a dinosaur.

Heck, a while back, an insurance adjuster came to the house to assess some hurricane damage. He handled the whole claim in my driveway, including making a direct settlement deposit into my bank account.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Was going to send my granddaughter at Penn State a few bucks. Her Mama convinced me she NEVER uses cash. Or checks. But she has a ton of money. She just doesn't call it "money".

Works for her. Not for me as much. But some of it is great. Still need a check every once in a while.

I think the whole reason the young ones don't use checks is that they don't know how to sign them.............................................. ....
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Have had a couple of checking accounts. since I was 14 or 15. Always had one for business and one for personal. Of all they years in business only had two bad checks. One from a sheriff and the other from his brother. They did make them good after a month or so. Now just have personal acct. and use an old quiken program to make out checks for bills on another computer. Simplifies balancing and year end taxes. Yeah I'm an old f@rt and glad to be almost 70.

I still use checks although most of my bills are paid bank draft. I drop a check on the collection plate on Sunday and if somebody picks up something from the store for me then I'll write a check. And unlike some people I sign my name legibly

My signature is total garbage. It was very legible in the early days, but my time managing car dealerships changed all that. EVERY morning I would come into the office to find a pile of paperwork to sign (mostly stacks of warranty repair orders). With a bazillion papers to sign every morning, my signature morphed into nothing but a scribble. It’s been going on so long, if I try to actually sign my name legibly these days, it looks like something written by a third grader learning cursive. 😩

I can't read my signature. The Walmart type "sign with your finger" are the worst.

But here's a twist for you, Thump. Think on this.

Maybe YOU don't buy and use checks. But if you use your bank to pay your bills, and say you owed Len $50.00.....but you never will again, and never did before. So he's not a Payee. So, you add Len........and if you use the bank to pay him, they will write him a check!!! This is how I pay the guy that mows the farm house yard.

I will admit that even the bank has an E-option now...........Zelle. I just used that.

But sorta like .270 ammo...........I have enough checks to last till the year 2183.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar

Paper checks??

I probably write 2-3 checks a month. The rest is all online. Simpler and easier and sometimes safer. My mother actually had a check stolen out of the mail about a year ago that somebody altered and cashed for more than it was written for.

Speaking of ammo though, has anyone tried to find pistol calibers or .223/5.56 recently? It’s almost impossible to find around here and you’re going to pay a premium if you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

The time to stock up on ammo was several years ago.

Yeah, my yard guy uses something called Cash App. ( https://cash.app/ ) and it's about as easy-peasy as it gets.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands)
    Last edited by Sunshine; 09-21-2020 at 09:03 PM.