Thread: Who is Watching 24 Hrs of Le Mans?

Who is Watching 24 Hrs of Le Mans?

Its on the Motortrend channel on Youtibetv, I didn’t even know I had it until it showed up in recommended shows.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ya' gonna watch the whole 24 hours?

(and I'm a dinosaur, remember? I have no clue what Youtibetv is)
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

YoutubeTV its a streaming service.

Yota in 1st and 2nd. The way the hybrid power booster works is friggin cool.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Something that is very strange about this kind of racing: cars pull over a bit and stop, turn everything off, lights and all, and do a system reboot and then you see the lights come on and off they go.

That is some weird shit. got up early and turned it on and now they’re in the last half hours. Cars running into barriers and walls everywhere.

Strange stuff.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Toyota wins!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Toyota has been dominating the highest class of sporty car racing in those endurance races.

With all of the different classes running at different speeds, it’s no wonder people run off and hit the barriers. There is a pretty substantial speed difference between some of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

They said this was the third race in a row for Toyota.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

‘Yota sure has been showing up strong lately. I used to follow Le Mans years ago, but have pretty much moved away from it. Growing up, we ran local roundy-round tracks on Friday and Saturday nights, drags on Sunday, PLUS ran the sporty-car tracks (limited campaign) in between all of that, we ran a limited number of NASCAR (Grand National Series before NASCAR) races. Our “sporty car” was a Corvette and I always looked forward to the 12-hour Sebring race every year. I can’t even remember what the division was called then, SCCA I think (Sports Car Club of America) maybe? I know it was later called The American Le Mans Series up until the early 2000’s I believe. Funny, back in those days, I had no clue what a Toyota was!

The SCCA is still around but it’s mostly club racing now. The big series in the US is IMSA. They have a pretty decent following and quite a few of their races are broadcast on the NBC Sports Channel.

They pair with INDYCAR several times a year at different venues like Long Beach and Road America. I think they have at St. Pete before as well.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    I owned a Pontiac LeMans once does that count?......

I had a LeMans also back in the 60’s. It was a sportier model Tempest, between the Tempest and GTO. The LeMans had a 326 cid V-8 (w/powerglide) while the Goat had a 389 turbo hydro. (The good old days) 😉

Do they still run the 24hrs at Daytona? I remember Dale Sr and Jr racing a cab yellow Corvette in that race once. was that where Junior wrecked and got burned?

bKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Yes they do. It’s usually ran in late January or early February before the Daytona 500. A lot of racing fans consider it the kickoff to racing season.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Do they still run the 24hrs at Daytona? I remember Dale Sr and Jr racing a cab yellow Corvette in that race once. was that where Junior wrecked and got burned? bKB
    Yep, I've actually attended a couple of them. I think it was the Rolex 24 then. Not sure what it's called now. I wish they'd pick a name and stick to it. In my dinosaur ways, I'm stuck in the Firecracker 400, Dixie 500, etc. etc. etc. days.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

It’s still the Rolex 24. The winners of each class still get a special Rolex as a prize.

https://www.imsa.com/news/2020/07/24...for-jan-30-31/