Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And the election craziness continues!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Only obliquely Posty. I saw it mentioned but only in the context of the whole election. The issue was for Milwaukee county and when I saw the numbers I was pretty skeptical. And why not? There's some really crazy stuff being spouted off that you just can't take at face value.

So I did what any good scientist would do and went to the source data and had a look.

Wisconsin has a really good public database where you can check things out all the way to the precinct level if you wish to. I did and the numbers were there. So I checked to see what previous elections showed and it was wildly different. It wasn't the bump in participation, I expected that with a lot of mail in ballots. It was the amount of presidential votes versus down ballot votes. Went from maybe 8 to 10% loss to almost half of all democratic votes.

I know what the obvious answer is. What I think we need is the not so obvious answer but still rational answer that may well explain this.

Might be something and it might not be. But this is the kind of thing that causes suspicion and at least I think the election board should take a hard look at it because it is unprecedented as far as I can see and is just the kind of thing that, left to its own, can damage trust.

Will
    Last edited by Penguin; 11-09-2020 at 11:38 AM.

So, its the number of ballots with no downballot selections? Looks like Wiscy got rid of straight ticket voting in 2011. Its been observed in many states that the number of incomplete ballots rises when STV has been abolished. That happened in 2011 when Wiscy was trying to supress as many dem votes as they could.

Self inflicted wound again. Votes on incomplete ballots are just as viable as completed ones, by law.

But it doesn’t hurt a thing to take a look at everything.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

That's might be true.

But the stuff I looked at was 2016 compared to 2020.

Will

Here's my take on voting in any election:

1) Get off your azz, and, physically, go to the courthouse and register, legally, to vote.
    2) " " " " " , and, physically, go to your voting precinct, and vote, legally.
    3) " " " " " , and, if necessary, apply for an absentee ballot.
    4) " " " " " , and, if necessary, call a friend or neighbor to drive you to vote.

This voting venue has worked pretty day'um good for a very long time.....if you're too day'um lazy to find a way to get to your voting precinct, or get an absentee ballot, then quit you're day'um bitchin'.....this mail-in voting sheeit is a disaster.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 11-10-2020 at 12:42 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    So, just playing devil’s advocate here BM. But, are you saying that members of the armed services who have voted by mail forever are just too damn lazy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Yep, I've had to on various occasions. The most memorable was when I voted for Nixon in '72 ('73 election). They had JUST lowered the voting age from 21 to 18 and I was 20 at the time. I was also in the military. I remember it was a bit of a cluster-fuck and TBH, I can't remember the details. It's all a blur now, but it finally happened.

For the 2008 election, I was a long-haul OTR truck driver and voted absentee.

The same in 2012 when I was constantly in and out of the hospital for back surgeries, etc.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Jim, I believe the Nixon election was in Nov 1972. I remember because I turned 18 that August and it was my first time to vote. It was an important year because people woke up and realized that if they can ship you off to Viet Nam at 18, you ought to be able to drink a beer and to vote.
    My first time to vote.
    My last time ever to vote for a Republican for president.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

And the election craziness continues!

Then, Reagan took away the right to drink a beer at 18. One of the few things I disagree with him on.

Last edited by Chicken Dinner; 11-10-2020 at 11:21 AM.

The same guy that coined the term nanny state. Ronny Raygun.
    BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Hehe. Hank is such a bastard at times. Well done sir!

As the sworn statements start trickling in and the allegations go from ethereal to something more concrete, I also note that the statisticians have been hard at work. I have had only an inkling of the kinds of things they can do. I guess we'll all learn some of their methods in the next week or so. Some of the stuff they have shown is absolutely fascinating. But not my job. That's what they get paid for....

I'll check into this stuff occasionally but this 3rd world shit didn't have to happen, it was a choice. I was speaking to a friend from Australia yesterday and her perspective matched mine. She told me that it was incredibly sad that the 1st and foremost democratic nation on the planet could look so inept and incompetent on something so basic as an election. Sadly I think that was by design.

For someone like me who detests conspiracy theories the next 4 years could be hard to swallow. I have read some truly outrageous things purported as fact. And when that gets shot down it's off to the next crazy assertion. While the real signal gets lost in the noise. And like it or not there does seem to be at least some signal in there. If we're lucky we'll see whether it is anything to be concerned about soon enough.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Jim, I believe the Nixon election was in Nov 1972. I remember because I turned 18 that August and it was my first time to vote. It was an important year because people woke up and realized that if they can ship you off to Viet Nam at 18, you ought to be able to drink a beer and to vote.
    My first time to vote.
    My last time ever to vote for a Republican for president.

BKB
    Yessir, I edited the dates after thinking about it. I was in beautiful S.E. Asia working the Vietnamese mission in '72 and remember the "old enough to go to war, but not old enough to vote" argument the year prior, just before I entered Basic Training. Ha! I also remember receiving my draft notice .... WHILE I was in Basic Training! Duh!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Yessir, I edited the dates after thinking about it. I was in beautiful S.E. Asia in '72.
    I was 3. One of the earliest things I can remember is seeing the Apollo astronauts driving the moon buggies and drinking Tang because they put little plastic moon buggy toys inside.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    One of the earliest things I can remember is seeing the Apollo astronauts driving the moon buggies and drinking Tang because they put little plastic moon buggy toys inside.
    So THAT'S why they drove that moon buggy while drinking Tang!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    So, just playing devil’s advocate here BM. But, are you saying that members of the armed services who have voted by mail forever are just too damn lazy?

Chick, I'm pretty sure you know where I was going with my post.....you know day'um well I would never exclude the military.....they have their own system for voting, no matter where they are deployed.....use your common sense, man!!!
    Southern Gentleman

When you look back on how much sugar the most popular kid foods had in them, is it any wonder we have so much type II diabeetus now?

A cup of sugar in a couple quarts of koolaide, and tang was mostly sugar. We were a dentist’s dream too!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

We were a dentist’s dream too! BKB
    "Were"?? What's changed? Oh yeah, the Cuban Embargo. Now it's high-fructose corn syrup!

lol even then! The top two ingredients on the Tang list? Sugar, and fructose. No wonder we played outside daylight to dark.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Interesting factoid....the inventor of Tang also came up with Cool Whip and Pop Rocks.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Viva Renaldo!

All shit disturbing aside, I think we need to ask ourselves who has the most to gain by all these bullshit conspiracy theories that weaken our democratic institutions. News flash: it’s not the Dems or the Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    All shit disturbing aside, I think we need to ask ourselves who has the most to gain by all these bullshit conspiracy theories that weaken our democratic institutions. News flash: it’s not the Dems or the Republicans.
    Libertarians?

Where are the calls to investigate how many ballots that were mailed on time to make the election day deadline but the Post Office failed to deliver on time? I’ve seen reports that the Post Office process more ballots on Wednesday than they did on Tuesday! And its the very reason for the three day extension in Pennsylvania. Maybe futzing around with the Post Office was about as bad an idea as having Republicans all vote in person duringa pandemic.
    What Trump tried to do to the Postal Service is as ‘third world’ bullshit as anything.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Well, I dragged my Republican azz out and voted in person like millions of other good folks.....our voting precinct personnel had been trained and/or had enough common sense to have everyone social-distanced and masked-up, and the voting went off like clockwork.....common sense always prevails.
    Southern Gentleman

You did your duty, and I did mine by mailing in my absentee ballot. Which was processed two weeks before and counted on election day.

And that was common sense too!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Viva Renaldo!

You did your duty, and I did mine by mailing in my absentee ballot. Which was processed two weeks before and counted on election day.

And that was common sense too!

BKB
    Well, done.....as I stated, earlier, absentee ballots are the next best thing to actually pressing the touch pad.
    Southern Gentleman

I'd like to know why he recanted.....maybe Hillary sent him a picture postcard of a Columbian necktie.
    Southern Gentleman

I don’t know if that’s public. There are still lots of various versions of the story. I trust The Hill about as much as any of the print media these days.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Anonymous sources say!......you still ugly!.......NYTimes.

Whatyoutalkin bout Willis?

This story was broke by the House Oversight committee.

Unless I missed something?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!