Thread: HideyHo

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar

HideyHo

I can’t post on FB for reasons I won’t get into here. But, that’s the biggest damn beaver I’ve ever seen. In true GH fashion, it made me wonder just how a trophy beaver is measured, skull circumference, weight, tail length? Are there regional variations like for bear in the east v. west? If so, what organization keeps said records? I have so many questions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

It would'a been a nice one in the next year or two.

The biggest beaver I ever saw was in 1971 ... long story, but it belonged to a gal I nicknamed "Motorboat".
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I think Motorboat was up around MS State about that same time in '70-'71.....she was the star attraction at a donkey and pony show way out in the boondocks of Oktibbeha County.....there was an echo, when she bent over.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    a "blanket" beaver will measure 30-32"x70-72" when skinned.. Most guys anymore just go by weight. First one I got this year bottomed out the 50 pound scale and the one with my grandson weighed 50 on the money. Both would make blankets..20201110_083143.jpg20201129_115434.jpg
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

I don't see how it is logistically, morally, or remotely possible that Jimmy doesn't invade this thread!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    I don't see how it is logistically, morally, or remotely possible that Jimmy doesn't invade this thread!
    I guess your speed reading skills are slipping. I've already offered my 2-cents.

Man, you ain't kidding! I need a nap!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I guess your speed reading skills are slipping. I've already offered my 2-cents.

to be fair I expected you to re-emerge when the term "blanket beaver" was introduced.

It's tough these days ... I have to cover for myself as well as chime in with smart-assed remarks in Cappy's honor since he's not here to help out. The workload is stretching me to the limit.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Gene, I like your style with that mousetrap picture. If I ever make it out your way, I’ll supply the sipping whiskey because I’d love to hear some of your stories in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Gene, is Castor canadensis decent table fare?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    love to do just that CD! It really is good eating (do what you have to do here ) Dark, rich - not gamey at all.I just bread and fry the backstraps. Roasted it is somewhat like beef.. You do want to cook it "done". They can carry Tularemia but I don't know of anyone who ever contracted it from beaver. I do know one guy who picked it up skinning muskrats years ago.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.