It's a personal thing with me, so it's basically meaningless, just an opinion. I have never understood the purebred thing. We grew up with dogs AND cats and always had strays or pound rescues. The only purebred we ever had was one we adopted because the owners (family friends) were moving into an apartment that did not allow pets. That dog was a royal pain in the ass. The best (and smartest) dog I ever owned was a beagle mix I adopted from the pound. IMO, there are too many abandoned pets out there to have people actually BREEDING the things, but I do understand, like anything else, different strokes, for different folks.

Lynn's brother and sister-in-law have two cats that they PURCHASED from a breeder in L.A. Bengals, for THREE FRIGGING THOUSAND DOLLARS EACH!!!! WTF? But they're rich and it's a free country, so I guess they can have whatever the F they want. I just can't see it personally, whether it's a dog OR a cat.

My uncle used to have a whole kennel of hunting dogs. He once told me he had more money tied up in those dogs than what he paid for his first house!