Thread: On her 85th birthday today

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar

On her 85th birthday today

my mother got T-boned in her little Hyundai car and is in the local hospital. I've been up there in the ER all day. They can't find anything broken, but she is cut up bad and severely bruised. Around 3:00 they tried to send her home but when she sat up in the wheelchair she had some sort of min-siezure and threw up and passed out. They laid her back down and she was sort of ok. Tried 3 times, each time she'd throw up. They admitted her........(she demanded to leave, to go home A.M.A......because her little dog is there, and she can't stand being without her....that's the honest truth....but my wife finally talked her into staying when she simply couldn't sit up), and my wife is staying up with her tonight.

Had a big fish fry planned for her tomorrow, with my aunt and uncle, cousin, brother, etc...... and thawed about half my remaining stash of crappie. Somehow I'll have to cook it. But even if she comes home tomorrow she isn't going to be walking soon. I got the personal stuff out of her car at the wrecking yard, it's a total disaster.

I went to police station to get police report.......they said "Oh, sorry, you have to wait till it's filed. Maybe three working days". So I don't know who is at fault, etc. Her insurance agent has been contacted. She lost her cell phone, and ATT won't let me 'suspend' the account because I'm not "on the account". I threatened death and destruction, and they said they were sending me to a 'manager'.....but after 14 minutes of hold, I gave up. She broke her glasses, but somehow found her hearing aids. Airbags deployed, seat belt tore her shoulder up, it's a mess.

Several other things going on around here too.

We could use some of those G/H prayers if you get a chance.

Thanks.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

By the way, she was on her way to a nursing home to see one of the 'old women' that she picks up and takes to church. In her car was the cleaning supplies she had bought to clean the church building.....she is still paid to do that, and still does it.......and enjoys it. Part of the items I got out of her wrecked car was her chain saw. She is concerned because she has 3 standing orders to make quilts for folks.

I can only pray I got a smidgen of this DNA.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Hate to hear this. I can only hope she can have a full recovery without any further complications. Sounds like a neat lady if she's still doing all that at 85.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    Prayers comming from OK Bucky.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    You've got it buddy.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Dangit Bucky, when it rains it pours.
    Prayers coming from down heah.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Oh no! On a "positive" note ... no bones were broken ... they don't heal all that well at her age. I sure hope everything works out well and I hope she has a speedy recovery. My mom just turned 81 on the 3rd of this month. Totally independent ... lives alone, still drives, etc. ... I FINALLY convinced her to let me get her one of those "new-fangled" cell phones in case she breaks down or has a problem while driving.

Again, my best to your mom Bucky ... she sounds a lot like my mom in the "independent" department.

I'll have my people talk to His people.

Hope she's back on her pins soon, Bill. Sounds like she just got the sense knocked out of her for a spell. That's tough. She's tough too from the sound of it!
    BKB

Will talk tooo the BIG GUY toooday for your Mom!!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Sorry to hear this, thouhts being sent.
    If it comes down to the fact that it was her fault, it may be time to not replace the car, We had to do that to both my mother and MIL.(both in their mid to upper 80's) it's a hard decision and they'll hate you for it, but we could not stop thinking about who they could have killed or injured and then we'd feel even worse knowing we could have prevented it.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Senior Member (too much time on their hands)
    Wow!!! Sure glad there's no broken bones.
    Sounds like she has some equilibrium problems that might be causing her to throw up and pass out. Might be problem in her ears!!!!
    Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers for all of you.

Still in hospital. Just got back. Worn out.

Had to get a unit of blood. INR went to 9. She's alert but in much pain. This hospital is not the best, IMO. Nothing I can do about it. Still can't get the police report, which is asinine. Her insurance agent "went out of town". Her cell phone is lost and ATT won't talk to me to suspend the account. Have other family issues going on making some things hard at her house, right now. She is hurting bad when she tries to cough, but they say no broken ribs. Right now, I'm confused and worn out.

I do think she'll ultimately be ok. Her health is my only concern right now.

On top of everything else, only one lady other than family went to see her. Gives me pause on several different fronts. But that's just........shouldn't even have noticed such things

Thanks for all the prayers, really.

Doing "some" better. Might get to go home tomorrow. Gonna be months and months before she's really healed from this, though. She's in a lot of pain. I can't even fathom how she didn't break a single bone. That seems like a miracle, considering her bones, and after looking at that car.

So sorry to read this. Hope she gets better soon. Sounds like you and your wife have some tough decisions to make on her being able to drive in the future.
    Will be praying for you all...
    Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Bucky, why do you need to get the copy of the crash report? Give her insurance agent the report number and have them get it. That's what she pays them for. There is usually a charge for the copies so let them pay it.

Sorry to hear she got hurt, hope everything is ok for her.

Hey! Some of you are condemning her to a life without a car before you have the facts. It's EASY to jump to the conclusion she was at fault (due to her age) ... but the other driver may have blown a light or something. Let's get the incident report before we start talking about taking her keys away. She may be the victim here.

'Course, I have to admit ... at 85, I guess it's time to start thinking about it.

There's a lot of 85 year olds I'd rather have on the road than the 16 year olds we have in springtime here when Daddy buys them a new car.
    BKB

Amen P-hole. My mom's "only" 81 ... but I have no problem riding with her when she's driving. I can't say that about half the "kids" (AND some adults) I deal with on the road. For one thing ... you'll never catch her texting or talking on her cell phone while driving!

She's a great driver. She doesn't drive like an85 y/o. She doesn't do anything like an 85 y/o. I told her yesterday in the hospital that I felt so "old". She said (Lying there with 1,000 stitches, blood seeping through every bandage, looked like a war victim) "Well, I don't. I feel young@!!!"

She'll drive again, IF we can get her a car.........that's going to be the ticket.

And don't start me on the insurance agent. She is some 'friend' of my cousins who recommended her.......some lady. Ladies shouldn't be casualty agents. I'm about to decide women shouldn't work, period. I don't care who gets mad at me, I'm tired of dealing with dingbat women everywhere I turn. Insurance on the pop-up the other day was a disaster due to the lady that handles it all. She's an idiot. Ladies in the hospital were idiots, other than nurses. They were and are GREAT. OK, sorry........off topic. But my mother is a different breed of cat, a throw back. She won't drive a car if a man is in the car. She makes him drive. She is a LADY, an old timey LADY. My mother in law was one also. The last of a great breed, a great culture. I don't think it's improved much in the last 75 years.

Sorry, on a rant....no coffee yet.

But as for the police report, the "lady" insurance agent told my cousin (I have yet to talk to her) to have ME go get it from the police station. I liked to have croaked, because YES it's their job, not mine. This is Allstate. If it were me, I'd be telling State Farm to "HANDLE THIS AND LEAVE ME ALONE TILL YOU BRING ME A CHECK"..........but it ain't me. Mother is aware, alert, makes her own decisions, and would never, ever tell anyone something like that. She asks the nurses for things (a bath, pain medicine) and when they don't bring it for an hour, she says "Well, they're busy, they'll get to it". Then when they show up and we tell them it's been an hour, they tell us "YOU MUST REMIND US"......but Mother will NOT do that. She won't 'bother' anyone. Remember when she broke her wrist at 3:00 a.m. a year ago and would NOT wake us up till after 8:00 because she wouldn't bother us? She cried for 5 hours but wouldn't bother anyone. That's who she is. So she won't let me hammer this Allstate agent, but if/when I get a chance, I will. Till then, I want to see the report because I want to see who is really at fault.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    From my professional experience dealing with Allstate, they are terrible and will make it so that she's at least partially at fault. I will never have them myself

Interesting. I've had Allstate since I bought my first car AND my first house back in the Dark Ages. When I started my company, my company (auto) insurance was through State Farm only because the dude I bought a fleet of trucks from (5 of them) already had them insured with State Farm. I was so busy getting the company up and running at the time, I simply didn't change over. The FIRST incident I had with a State Farm claim turned into a raging battle. The guy I purchased the trucks from had just bought a brand new unit that was part of the deal and I put an employee in it. Within 3 weeks he totalled the frigging thing! They sent me a check for a TINY fraction of what I paid for the vehicle (I took over payments) that was less than one month old! Said it was a "used" truck! I refused the check and fought tooth and nail with them. I finally got them to simply pay off the balance owed not taking into account the down payment (which I paid as part of the deal). Then what did they do? They sent the frigging check to the PREVIOUS owner ... even though the trucks were now in my name, the insurance had been changed over and I was now making the payments. The guy I bought the trucks from was a total ass and kept the check. I actually had to have my attorney sue him for it ... paid for out of my pocket! I switched EVERYTHING to Allstate after that. Been dealing with them for 45 years now and have never had a problem of any sort. I file a claim ... they pay it. In fact, one of those previously mentioned trucks was later stolen. They paid book value, but I contested it. I had just had a ton of work done to it ... new brakes, new tires ($700 just for tires as it was 4WD and worked in the mud out in the phosphate mines), major tune-up ... that sort of stuff. I sent them the receipts and they paid for all the maintenance I'd just had performed. I thought that was more than fair. I had another employee get into a fender-bender. I had the truck in the shop and put him into my spare (floater) work truck. After the claim was paid, Allstate sent me a $100 check. When I called to ask what it was for, they said they noticed I didn't rent a vehicle while the truck was in the shop and sent the $100 for any "inconvenience" I may have gone through. I can't think of any real gripe I've had with them that they didn't make good on. Not so for State Farm.

Yes, and you like Toyota's and Honda's better too, and have better luck with them.

Not all folks do, though.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Bucky, how is your mom doing?

Hope she is feeling better soon.