Thread: WTTF??? Why don't they just call it "alphabet"?

WTTF??? Why don't they just call it "alphabet"?

I was reading an article on my news feed about some group bitching and moaning about something I don't even remember ... something about equal rights or whatever. Ok, maybe I'm a little behind the times as I was just getting used to hearing about the LGBT community when they decided to add a "Q" making in LGBTQ. Fine, I don't care, even though I never knew why it was added, since I have no clue what the difference is between "queer" and "gay". Well, in this article, the hoop-la was being stirred up by the LGBTQI community. WTF izzat? I looked it up and found it stands for: Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersexed. Ok, I can pretty much follow that, but I'm not really sure what "intersexed" means (and not sure I care). But, as I read on through the article, the terminology changed a little bit and it started referring to the LGBTQQIP2SAA community! DOUBLE WTF??? Again, I looked it up: Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, queer, intersex, pansexual, two-spirit (2S), androgynous and asexual!!

WTF? Would someone walk up and say, "Hi, I'm a representative for the LGBTQQIP2SAA community, nice to meet you!"

Man oh man, it sure was a lot simpler in the "good ol' days". All I remember was you were either straight or queer. I finally got used to the term "gay" quite a while back, although I never could figure out how the word meaning "lighthearted and carefree" played into it. I have room in my memory banks to know what LGBT stands for when I see it, but I'm thinking I'm just gonna throw in the towel on the rest of this silliness.

Yeah, yeah ... go ahead and unload with the smart-assed comments ... I'd expect nothing less of youse dufebutts ... so, for the record, I'm straight (if that's even the correct term anymore).
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

You’re gonna need to know how to address your peeps, Thumper.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha! Bite me! After I posted the above, I went back through my news feed and found the article that started all my Googling. Here's the headline:

Joke in bad taste lands actress in trouble with LGBTQI community
    All I was curious about was wtf the "I" was for. Then it snowballed from there.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    They need to add a category for men who own cats

Yep, that would be Len at Good Hunting. The cats here belong to Lynn.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I have a stool for you here if you're ready to do a bit of climbing (it's tall).

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    On the one hand I guess human sexuality is a pretty complex thing... so trying to categorize every variation, by necessity, will end up producing a lot of different terms. So I am not surprised that this happens on the one hand.

But there is something else going on as well. You don't know all of the different terms and grad school jargon.... because you aren't supposed to. One of the purposes of these constantly changing definitions and concepts is to exclude those not on the inside of the social movement it is associated with. A refusal to use this jargon let's them know who to attack. The use of this language and putting in it's proper context allows them to know who to accept.

Think of it as a shibboleth... but one where use of the language also implies approval what it describes.

Will

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    I'm still looking for my white privilege?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    I don't even know what LGBT stands for, hear it, read it, but don't know it.
    That's what happens when you're 75 years old.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

I must be M. Married.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I must be M. Married. BKB
    Ok, ok, we don't want to leave you out. We'll now make it LGBTQQIP2SAAM ... for Masturbater.