Ha ha! Youse dufes reminded me of long forgotten memories. Yep Postie, I remember as far back as my dad's '53 Corvette, standing in the front seat hanging onto the dash. Heck, isn't that why they eventually put handles there?

52 corvette dash.jpg

Also, I vividly remember the same with my mom. Whenever she'd hit the brakes, that right arm would automatically spring into action and slam across the chest of whomever was in the front seat at the time.

Bubba, I'd totally forgotten about that shelf thing. We had 6 kids, so mom always drove a station wagon, but my grandfather drove nothing but Studebaker's and that "shelf" was my normal go-to spot when I rode with him (the seats would be filled with my grandmother and whatever other grandkids were along for the ride). BTW, that shelf was called a "package tray". I remember in those big ol' Studes, that tray seemed as big as my bed at home. I still remember the day I climbed up there for a ride and discovered I'd gone through a major growth spurt and no longer fit. It was a huge disappointment at the time.

Kind'a related and kind'a not, I remember many, MANY times sitting in my dad's lap and steering the car as he worked the pedals. These days he'd be thrown in jail for who knows how many offences, including child abuse charges. Different times, clearly.