I wonder if Trump uses 'em? Or does he look at them like masks during Covid?

I grew up in a time when cars did not have seatbelts. Heck, even race cars only had lap belts, but those weren't even used until the mid-50's (still during my lifetime). I also remember when seatbelts were offered as an EXTRA COST option in passenger cars from the factory and you could also buy them and have them installed at your local gas station (SERVICE stations in those days). I think they became mandatory in 1966, but I don't remember anybody ever using them. We'd just tuck them between the seat cushions to avoid having to sit on them. Heck, it was up to the states to come up with seatbelt laws and I don't think using them was mandatory (in all states) until the mid to late 90's. I'll admit, I was slow to join the seatbelt wearing crowd. It was just an annoyance for most people. I finally started getting with the program, but it was slow and my seatbelt use was sporadic at best.

Then, I was driving one day and came upon an accident that had just happened. I saw a kid walking around in a daze and realized it was a neighbor (I think he was about 14-15 at the time) who lived 2 doors down from us. I then spotted his dad's car, upside down in a yard a ways up the street. It was a crunched up ball of metal (a Mustang II). It turns out he'd drifted off the edge of the road, over-corrected and the car went into a barrel roll. The kid had actually been ejected (no seatbelt) and miraculously, had no major injuries other than walking around dazed and in shock. I pulled his dad out of the car which was a bitch because he was hanging upside down by his seatbelt. He was conscious and talking to me, but couldn't unbuckle the belt due to his weight hanging on it. I was able to lift him up and get him unbuckled so he could crawl out. After looking the car over, it was obvious he most likely would have been killed if it weren't for that seatbelt. That's actually the day something "snapped" in my head and I've religiously worn a seatbelt EVERY time I've been in a car since. Of course, nowadays, it's just a natural thing and I don't even realize I strap in. It's just part of the procedure.

What is the point of this post? I dunno, I guess I might be bored, but there was an accident on a road near my house yesterday. There were three cars involved and each car had only the driver aboard. These weren't kids. One (71 years old) had minor injuries, the other (30 years old) had NO injuries and both were wearing seatbelts. The third driver (56 years old) was dead at the scene and was NOT wearing a seatbelt. I guess he bumped his noggin. That just seems so stupid to me in this day and age.