Thread: Knife sharpener?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar

Knife sharpener?

I've mostly been a stone and steel kinda guy when it comes to sharpening but seem to have lost the touch lately. Getting old, I guess. I've tried a couple of electric sharpeners in the past (Chefs Choice) and was not super impressed. Any recommendations for a decent sharpening system?
    Last edited by johnboy; 01-05-2021 at 06:48 PM.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    I use to use a lansky because of angle help and varying stones but it just takes too much time. I bought the one below and I'm really happy with it. It works pretty fast, you can adjust angle, and it has different belts from coarse to fine.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ca4a4ae8c8650c

Ha ha ha ha! Have I got a deal for you!

http://www.goodhunting.info/showthread.php?13598-Score!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

What kind of knives generally speaking John?

The purists will want to lynch me for this but this is the best all around kitchen knife sharpener around. I’ve had it for twenty years at least. Around $7.
    ED0D4556-B161-424A-B720-51520007B17B.jpg

I don’t touch my pocket knives with it. Those get the Arkansas stones. I sharpen my Cutco knives with that Accusharp tool. Haven’t ruined one yet.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

BBP, kitchen knives mostly but really everything else with a blade that I own. I have a few handhelds but again, not happy with them. Accusharp, you say? Hombre, been looking at that Work Sharp and it seems interesting. Might give it a go. Sorry Thump, that big clunk is more than I need.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I can sharpen knives.. have a pretty decent set of stones and a couple good steels. Son and SIL would show up and toss a half-dozen knives on the counter.. They would drink whiskey while I spent the evening sharpening knives.. FF.. bought a Worksharp.. Now - 10 minutes later - I'm drinking whiskey, too.. I recently sharpened a $450 folder than came dull and two other guys had tried.. shave hair like a banshee...
    Last edited by HideHunter; 01-05-2021 at 10:31 PM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Gonna pick up one of those Onion Editions. They look slick.