Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTF is going on???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    I'll bet it was.

That's a very good story and it just goes to show you that hard and confusing times have shown up many times before. Sometimes I think we get a bit myopic and don't appreciate that. I'm glad I wasn't around to see the 60's. Not sure what I would have thought of them.

Will
    My Dad was a police officer primarily during the 50’s and 60’s. I started my career in the early 90’s. There seems to be some parallels between the two periods. During the 50’s and early 60’s the police were respected then became the enemy during the late 60’s and through the 70’s. When I started, the police were somewhat respected and then were considered heroes after 9/11. Now the tide has turned and the police are public enemy number one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    My Dad was a police officer primarily during the 50’s and 60’s. I started my career in the early 90’s. There seems to be some parallels between the two periods. During the 50’s and early 60’s the police were respected then became the enemy during the late 60’s and through the 70’s. When I started, the police were somewhat respected and then were considered heroes after 9/11. Now the tide has turned and the police are public enemy number one.

We might disagree on a lot of stuff, Pat but I can tell you unequivocally that anyone who works in law enforcement has my respect and support. I appreciate what all of you do and my biggest hope is that you hit the door at home after work as the same ornery healthy self you were when you left.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    The closest I ever came was burning some couches and helping loot a beer truck the night of the 1983 NCAA basketball championship. Good times.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    The closest I ever came was burning some couches and helping loot a beer truck the night of the 1983 NCAA basketball championship. Good times.
    I just checked the books and found there's no statute of limitations on that confession. Could you please add a few more details and speak clearly into the mic.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I just checked the books and found there's no statute of limitations on that confession....
    Ah yes, burning the couch. Falsely impersonating a hillbilly.... only a misdemeanor in most of the country.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Ah yes, burning the couch. Falsely impersonating a hillbilly.... only a misdemeanor in most of the country. Will
    Ha! Clearly a case of arson, burning without a permit within city limits, intentional air pollution and littering.

Ok, we'll let the looting of the beer truck slide, but just this once.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I’m sorry,but I can’t go along with anything that happened yesterday and it doesn’t do a thing to lessen what was done by saying someone else has done worse. That just doesn’t hold water for me. If it does for you, that’s fine too. Its just we disagree.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

WTF is going on???

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I’m sorry,but I can’t go along with anything that happened yesterday and it doesn’t do a thing to lessen what was done by saying someone else has done worse. That just doesn’t hold water for me. If it does for you, that’s fine too. Its just we disagree.
    BKB
    I don’t say that I agreed with anything that happened yesterday either. I said that people can’t have it both ways. You can’t a scream and yell about a police response with riot gear and tear gas then make policy changes restricting the use of those practices then complain when the police don’t respond in that same way when the opposition group (for lack of a better term) has their own protest get out of hand.

You can’t call situations where stores are looted, buildings set on fire, and police officers attacked with commercial grade fireworks, spray bottles filled with acid or frozen bottles of water or bottles of urine thrown at them “primarily peaceful” protests, then turn around and call what happened yesterday a riot.

The media has no pause about calling yesterday a riot and the assembled group a “mob” but called everyone this summer a protester.

Now they are pointing out a double standard in the police response. The police responded the way that the politicians and activist called for during the summer. The police responded to the earlier complaints about their response to protests and changed their tactics. Now that isn’t a good enough response.

You can’t have it both ways people. Either the police respond in riot gear with tear gas and rubber bullets or they step aside and let things happen like yesterday. How do you want it? You can’t have it one way for one group and the other way for the opposite side. That isn’t “equal protection under the law” which is guaranteed by the 14th amendment and kinda supposedly the whole point of the protests this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ki
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Mostly peaceful protests. Isn't that the narrative here

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    This is all I’m going to say on the matter, and I’m including our government

C81EBC5E-9610-4BDD-A413-A7ECABD12B24.jpg

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Our government (both democrats and republicans) have played a stupid game the past year by not shutting down the riots immediately. Now they are winning a stupid prize in Washington. This has been brewing for a long time, and it's about a lot more than just rioting. I am in no way condoning it, but I am not even a little bit surprised by it. Sadden by it, but not surprised.

Exactly. You can’t spend years demonizing the opposition, telling your base that the world as we know it will end if the other side wins and then be surprised when there is a negative reaction when it happens.