Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTF is going on???

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Mostly peaceful protests. Isn't that the narrative here

I was placed on social probation by the Dean of Men at college for .... and I quote from my record:

"Being in the possession of and under the influence of alcoholic beverages on campus owned property, removing a screen from the residence hall window and spitting on the milkman!"

More to the story on the last two charges, but as far as the milkman goes, in my defense, I was aiming for his windshield. How was I to know what the current wind conditions were?

To add insult to injury, while still on probation, I was again summoned to the Dean's office for a more serious charge (different incident):

"Theft and destruction of campus owned property .... and kidnapping of a State employee!"

(REALLY long Thump story on that one)

After the "charges" were read, I was informed I was on social probation. As I got to the door to leave the Dean's office I turned and asked, "Dean Stokes, what exactly does this mean? I'm already ON probation."

The Dean thought for a couple seconds and said, "Now you're on DOUBLE probation!"

True story. (I think I was supposed to be expelled for a quarter, can't remember persactly)

To my knowledge, I may still be the only student at the University of Tennessee to have ever been placed on "Double Probation". (I think the Dean liked me)
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar

WTF is going on???

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I’m sorry,but I can’t go along with anything that happened yesterday and it doesn’t do a thing to lessen what was done by saying someone else has done worse. That just doesn’t hold water for me. If it does for you, that’s fine too. Its just we disagree.
    BKB
    I don’t say that I agreed with anything that happened yesterday either. I said that people can’t have it both ways. You can’t a scream and yell about a police response with riot gear and tear gas then make policy changes restricting the use of those practices then complain when the police don’t respond in that same way when the opposition group (for lack of a better term) has their own protest get out of hand.

You can’t call situations where stores are looted, buildings set on fire, and police officers attacked with commercial grade fireworks, spray bottles filled with acid or frozen bottles of water or bottles of urine thrown at them “primarily peaceful” protests, then turn around and call what happened yesterday a riot.

The media has no pause about calling yesterday a riot and the assembled group a “mob” but called everyone this summer a protester.

Now they are pointing out a double standard in the police response. The police responded the way that the politicians and activist called for during the summer. The police responded to the earlier complaints about their response to protests and changed their tactics. Now that isn’t a good enough response.

You can’t have it both ways people. Either the police respond in riot gear with tear gas and rubber bullets or they step aside and let things happen like yesterday. How do you want it? You can’t have it one way for one group and the other way for the opposite side. That isn’t “equal protection under the law” which is guaranteed by the 14th amendment and kinda supposedly the whole point of the protests this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ki
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    My Dad was a police officer primarily during the 50’s and 60’s. I started my career in the early 90’s. There seems to be some parallels between the two periods. During the 50’s and early 60’s the police were respected then became the enemy during the late 60’s and through the 70’s. When I started, the police were somewhat respected and then were considered heroes after 9/11. Now the tide has turned and the police are public enemy number one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We might disagree on a lot of stuff, Pat but I can tell you unequivocally that anyone who works in law enforcement has my respect and support. I appreciate what all of you do and my biggest hope is that you hit the door at home after work as the same ornery healthy self you were when you left.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    This is all I’m going to say on the matter, and I’m including our government

C81EBC5E-9610-4BDD-A413-A7ECABD12B24.jpg

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Our government (both democrats and republicans) have played a stupid game the past year by not shutting down the riots immediately. Now they are winning a stupid prize in Washington. This has been brewing for a long time, and it's about a lot more than just rioting. I am in no way condoning it, but I am not even a little bit surprised by it. Sadden by it, but not surprised.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Exactly. You can’t spend years demonizing the opposition, telling your base that the world as we know it will end if the other side wins and then be surprised when there is a negative reaction when it happens.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Quote Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
    Capitol Police must agree with them protesters.
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Then the Capitol Police should be fired and replaced. (but my guess is, they're following orders from a higher authority ... who should be fired and replaced) They're supposed to be non-biased. They're there to uphold the law. The last I checked, not abiding by Police orders, vandalism and trespassing are against the law. Your statement reflects the same ignorance shown by these dimwits.
    On its face, this is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    The politicians sat on their hands while out of control mobs attacked Joe Citizen and burned and looted private citizens homes and businesses but when it gets close to home it's a different story isn't it?
    Perhaps, maybe even hopefully, it’s a wake up call.

They are being non-biased. Antifa was allowed to loot and burn all summer and the ones that did get arrested had no formal charges filed against them in many cases.

If they started to arrest these “peaceful protesters” then they would definitely be showing a bias.

Damn right!

Quote Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
    Governor's going around the state legislature and just handing out ballots to everyone is why Trump really lost.

State of emergency my ass, if you can go to Walmart you can go stand in line and vote.
    This is 100% accurate

No. It’s bullshit that the people who committed crimes during the “protests” throughout the summer were not arrested AND prosecuted and its bullshit that anyone from yesterday who committed a crime wasn’t arrested and facing prosecution.

This whole situation shows the utter hypocrisy from both sides.

Biden and other Democrats were quick to condemn the actions of the people yesterday, but were silent all summer when cities were burned and personal property destroyed. Hell, they didn’t seem to care when sections of cities were taken over and deemed autonomous zones.

Then the same group who screamed all summer about riots stage their own. Granted nothing was looted or burned but it was still reprehensible.

You exactly right DD.
    And I’m saying that in my “Cappy voice”.