Thread: Luck'o the Irish?

Luck'o the Irish?

Well, I ain't Irish ... or maybe I am. Just a mutt really. My grandparents told me we are Dutch & German, but who knows what all that means? According to 23andMe, I'm 51% British & Irish, so I'll run with that Irish part for the purpose of this post.

I was returning home this morning from picking up some double-backed tape at Wally World and noticed an older woman driving ahead of me. Her right rear tire was almost completely flat and she seemed totally unaware. But it was a 2-lane street and I had no real, safe way of getting her attention. Then she turned into a (residential) driveway and I pulled in behind her, but stopped at the end of the driveway so I didn't scare her. I pointed to her tire and explained why I'd stopped. As I thought, she had no clue. I asked if she had anyone who could put her spare on (I was going to volunteer .... "really" didn't want to, but she was elderly and I'm an ex-Boy Scout).

Luckily (for me) she said she has AAA and will call them, then thanked me profusely for taking the time and effort to let her know. As I was about to leave, I noticed a box of misc. "crap" by the garage that said "FREE" on the side. I noticed the handle of a cast iron pan sticking out of the box and asked her what the deal was. She said she's selling her house to move in with her daughter and they had a yard sale Fri-Sat. The box was just some small left-over stuff she was going to set out by the curb. She said with the "FREE" sign, she figured somebody would pick it up, but it was too heavy for her to carry. I offered to take it to the curb for her, but asked about the cast iron pan (I didn't even know what it was). She said it's been out on her porch for years and she had a potted plant sitting in it. Someone bought the plant, but nobody wanted the old, rusty pan it was sitting in. I told her I'd buy it from her (still sight unseen) but she refused to take any money for it. She told me I was welcomed to it and I carried the box to the curb for her, pulled out the pan and threw the nasty thing into the back of my truck.

Well, I just got home and took a closer look at it. After scraping off a bit of the built up crud, I realized it's a pretty rare Gris! This one is now scheduled for a refurb! It'll bring $150 on The Bay once I get it cleaned up. Maybe I really am Irish!

DSCN9820.JPG DSCN9821.JPG DSCN9822.JPG
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Good for you, Thump.....you deserve that gift.....isn't it funny how good deeds get rewarded???
    Southern Gentleman

Wow. Nice! I have the same piece only mine is a BS&G breakfast griddle. Its an every day user too!

BKB

F6B4F8C5-45F1-46D0-946B-416CE58330F7.jpg
    Viva Renaldo!

Well, if I were REALLY a nice guy, I'd go back and offer her some cash, but one, I know she wouldn't accept it ... and two, I have a bit of work ahead of me to get'er cleaned up for sale. So I'll just consider it a lucky find. SOMEBODY was going to grab it for free anyway, so it may as well be me.

Well, I just checked eBay. There aren't many of these around, so the listings are sparse. Only three have been sold recently, one for $150, one for $145 and one for $140. There are only two listed for sale .... one is an auction with a $100 starting price and the other is listed at $145. It should be an easy piece to flip once I clean it up.

Thanks Muddy.

Nice, but not sure what that is P-hole. You mean Birmingham Stove & Range? (BS & R)

yep
    Viva Renaldo!

Got’cha. Nice pan!

I’ll tell you what I’d like to find. We used to butcher our own hogs, and my grandparents had a big cast iron kettle with feet that they build a fire under it and render lard in it. Last time I saw it, one of my stupid uncles (yes I have stupid ones too) had shot it with a rifle a busted it.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I thought BS&G meant biscuits and gravy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

It does around here!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I’ll tell you what I’d like to find. We used to butcher our own hogs, and my grandparents had a big cast iron kettle with feet that they build a fire under it and render lard in it. Last time I saw it, one of my stupid uncles (yes I have stupid ones too) had shot it with a rifle a busted it.

BKB
    I bet I know why he shot a hole in it, and I bet he shot it in the bottom.....I did the same thing to a small black pot that my wife wanted to use as a flower pot, and wanted a drain hole in it.....so, I took the easy way out, and just shot a hole in the bottom of it with my 30.06.....however, it didn't bust it up, it made a nice neat hole.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 01-10-2021 at 01:21 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Country boy can survive!

No he was just shooting stuff and is an ignernt asshole. Most of the ones I’ve seen in the last 50 years had flowers growing in them too!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Didn’t Larke have one of those pots? I see them occasionally, but shipping is a bitch!

Nah i was just wishin.

I seem to remember Larke having one but can’t remember specifically. He may have ten of them in one of those outbuilding full of stuff he collected.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

One of our local churches has one of the biggest black pots I've ever seen.....they put on huge soup and stew cookings, and feed hundreds of folks in their community.....somebody said it's an 80 gallon pot.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    is it true you can get iron if you cook in cast iron?

Edit:
    Google said: Yes, cooking in a cast iron skillet can add significant amounts of iron to your food and into your body. In addition to eating more iron-rich foods like meats, beans, and spinach, cooking in a cast iron pot is an easy way to boost your iron intake. Iron is an essential nutrient for all the cells in our body.

How much iron do you get from cooking in cast iron?

You'll get best results by cooking moist, acidic foods like applesauce, chili, tomato sauce, stew, and scrambled eggs. As a rough rule of thumb, one cup of these foods will gain about six to eight milligrams of iron after being cooked in cast iron cookware.

Cool
    Last edited by airbud7; 01-10-2021 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    One of our local churches has one of the biggest black pots I've ever seen.....they put on huge soup and stew cookings, and feed hundreds of folks in their community.....somebody said it's an 80 gallon pot.
    Dayam!
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
    is it true you can get iron if you cook in cast iron?

Edit:
    Google said: Yes, cooking in a cast iron skillet can add significant amounts of iron to your food and into your body. In addition to eating more iron-rich foods like meats, beans, and spinach, cooking in a cast iron pot is an easy way to boost your iron intake. Iron is an essential nutrient for all the cells in our body.

How much iron do you get from cooking in cast iron?

You'll get best results by cooking moist, acidic foods like applesauce, chili, tomato sauce, stew, and scrambled eggs. As a rough rule of thumb, one cup of these foods will gain about six to eight milligrams of iron after being cooked in cast iron cookware.

Cool
    For that reason I don’t cook soups or stews or even chili in my Dutch oven. It makes them all taste like your sucking on a ten penny nail.
    I only do stuff I roast or fry or bake in my CI, nothing that has sauce.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Good for you, Thump.....you deserve that gift.....isn't it funny how good deeds get rewarded???
    Your giving Thump too much credit. The boy scout shtick is just a cover so he can go around hitting on old ladies. Notice how he threw in " I stopped at the end of the driveway to not scare her" Hes an expert, plus this gives him time to ensure there are no current restraining orders in place.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Cool pan, Thump! I’ve never owned or cooked with a square one before. Definitely post a follow up pic once you get it cleaned up!

I was talking to a buddy the other day and he’s been looking at some of the new non-Lodge stuff that’s out there. Good looking stuff, but very pricey! I told him I’d rather spend that kind of money on some of the classic stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Naaa, more like husbands with shotguns Hombre!

Will do CD. Yeah, I looked at some of the modern stuff a while back. Definitely pricey, but there’s a market for it. The hoity-toity rich folk want new stuff.

I thought your church pot rang a bell Mudward. It seems I remembered Cappy mentioning something similar years ago. I just did a search and stumbled upon his old post.

http://www.goodhunting.info/showthre...highlight=iron

I actually made a Thump find several years ago. I was hunting a place turkey season one spring and came across an old barn that had collapsed. I always enjoyed poking around old log structures etc just looking for old stuff. I moved some old tin and found a 80 gallon cast iron syrup pot. I bet it weighs 300 plus pounds. I talked to the old guy that owned the property and he said it was his grandfathers and when he was a little boy they grew sugar cane and would boil syrup in it. He said I could have it if I could get it out. I did not waste time and went to the farm and got a trailer and chainsaw and cut my way in. It was all I could do to lift it up on one side and roll it into the trailer but I got it. I stopped by the old guys house and gave him a hundred dollar bill and took it home and made a firepit out of it. Still had no clue what I had other than a big ass cast iron pot.
    A few years went by and a friend of mine saw it and offered me $2,500 for it. I did not sell it but I should probably quit using it for a firepit.