Thread: Censorship?

Censorship?

First amendment violation?

BKB
    Talk radio company orders hosts to stop suggesting election was stolen from Trump - https://thehill.com/homenews/media/5...as-stolen-from
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Judge: the jury must disregard the last statement!.....can you really make a jury unhear or forget?

you can't unring a bell.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I think Censorship vs Ownership should be the issue here. As owner, one should have every right to dictate terms within the local, city, state and federal laws. They should know there will be consequences also like when Cracker Barrel got rid of all the Duck Dynasty stuff and lost a ton of business. If I want to fly a confederate flag in the yard I own then that should be my right, not so if I rent without owner permission. I may get get nasty phone calls but that is the consequence I should have expected.

Should these talk show hosts have the right to use graphic profanity and use explicit sexual terms on air in the name of freedom of speech? The station can expect a loss of business as a result of it's decision but it's hardly censorship

Freedom of speech without some guidelines (censorship) would be total chaos

...and you can’t tune a fish!

.bKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    I think Censorship vs Ownership should be the issue here. As owner, one should have every right to dictate terms within the local, city, state and federal laws. They should know there will be consequences also like when Cracker Barrel got rid of all the Duck Dynasty stuff and lost a ton of business. If I want to fly a confederate flag in the yard I own then that should be my right, not so if I rent without owner permission. I may get get nasty phone calls but that is the consequence I should have expected.

Should these talk show hosts have the right to use graphic profanity and use explicit sexual terms on air in the name of freedom of speech? The station can expect a loss of business as a result of it's decision but it's hardly censorship

Freedom of speech without some guidelines (censorship) would be total chaos
    The only reason I posted this is because Corporate America is pulling a ton of support from the people who voted not to certify the election. The Kochs recoiled a long time ago to what they helped create. The result is unavoidably it will silence or dampen a lot of voices. I expect the Sinclair network of media will do something similar soon. Fox is about to jump off the Trump train here soon.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Good idea, that method always works. /s

The election is over. Has been for a long time now. But the controversy is not. And enforcing these kinds of edicts will only drive it underground where it will fester and become even more toxic than it is now.

There are a hell of a lot of things that don't cost a dime that could help clean up the doubts on election misconduct. Two absolute basics that we, the light of the free world, cannot seem to master.

Insist on basic accounting rules. Not one single mail in or absentee ballot gets opened until they have an EXACT count of how many there are and that number has been forwarded to the state election counting facility. And arrest people when you have batches that magically appear/disappear during the count. We should know the exact maximum number of votes when the polls close not get strung along for days while these imbeciles figure out the vote count.

Next, mandate that the data stream the networks use bases their election coverage on these numbers. No more of this stuff where they go from 87% precincts counted to 59% in an instant. People do not understand how these numbers come out of the blue and it causes no end of conspiracy theories. For no reason.

You only have to have two things to have widespread confidence in our elections:
    1) Have absolute transparency in your elections. No question too basic, no question unanswered. Make everything public and keep it that way.
    2) The transparency has to show lawful and orderly elections...

Right now we have neither and it is ripe for conspiracy theory. You don't have to believe the Italians or the Chinese hacked our voting machines to know there were some real problems here. State vote tallies that don't add up, chain of custody broken or non-existent at times, some very slippery conduct at counting stations, etc.

We've went backward. The gold standard is paper ballots, cast in public, and counted in public. And our bias should be that a possible avenue for cheating will be taken every time. Stick to the gold standard and 99% of these doubts disappear overnight.

Will

I really wasn’t commenting on the election. We were discussing whether pulling Parler down, the Twitter suspensions, and so on, while it might be legal, was right. Now a majot conservative radio network has proscribed what it will allow its talent to talk about. Given how Mike Pence went from hero to death threats in one day, how will people react to this? And as more information comes out about just how the Capitol riot unfolded, this will be the tip of the ice berg.

So, is it a marketing move or a ideology move?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Well in that case it is stupid. And like I said it will only drive it underground to fester.

OTOH it would be completely in order to demand fact based comment from your hosts. Not only a good idea but unprecedented in modern media history. There is plenty of actual fact based smoke to talk about without resorting to the CIA or the aliens did it.

Course sometimes smoke means there is only smoke.

Will

Its funny but as soon as I read this I had to laugh because of that very thing. When I hunted a lot I’d always listen to a Westwood One AM talk radio on my way to the woods. they invariably had discussions about aliens and abductions on their talk shows.
    And that’s who is demanding their hosts stick to facts lol.

.bKB
    Viva Renaldo!

PS: And as long as there is actual smoke you will never get it all snuffed out. Only way to cure it is to talk it through and investigate. Make people fess up and face the facts either way. A lot of people are sore losers but if you disprove their arguments instead of dismissing them the majority will walk away from them... at least that is my naive belief.

Far as ideology versus marketing?

I don't think it matters. You've got a substantial number of Trump loyalists who ain't voting again until they believe in the election machinery again. I'm not sure the Republican party has a choice but to try and get these things sorted out in public. The party upper echelon will want nothing more than to bury it. Not sure who wins this, but the GOP is finished in it's current form either way. Just a question of whether they want to take the Foundation Choice according to Seldon's plan.... ie the only one that moves them forward or else ride it to the bottom.

Will

Willy, I’m not sure what proof or action beyond what every single one of these states have done investigatively will ever do to change most Trump supporter’s narrative about this election. Its almost like that dress that people saw as different colors.

There is evil afoot in our country IMO, and I think it will be a genuine shock to a lot of people as it is revealed. But it won’t believed by people who don’t want to.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

How about arresting and prosecuting people?

We've got about a thousand sworn affidavits on election crimes. Either these people lied and need arresting or those they accused broke the law and need arresting.

A judge telling you that you don't have standing is not the same thing as having accountability and that's what we have to have here.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    There is evil afoot in our country IMO, and I think it will be a genuine shock to a lot of people as it is revealed. But it won’t believed by people who don’t want to.

BKB
    That's the nub of the problem right there and it’s always been like that
    Jeremiah 9:3 They bend their tongue like a bow; falsehood and not truth has grown strong in the land; for they proceed from evil to evil,
    Last edited by quercus alba; 01-11-2021 at 02:42 PM.

You’d have to ask the Attys General in those states, all red state attys general btw. I sat and listened as the Georgia Scy of State address each and every election fraud allegation made and they found them all unfounded or falsified.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Like hell he did. Acknowledging that chain of custody was broken and in some cases non_existent and then shrugging you shoulders? Screwing up your face and looking confused as to how in the world your vote totals don't pass basic accounting checks?

These things require a reckoning not poo-pooing and soothing words.

And since when are PA, WI, and MI republican run? That is the whole point. They are contentious swing states.

out of 5 million voters in Georgia I'm sure at least 11 thousand of them were on probation or owed some kind of fee or fine = ineligible to vote.

According to business insider, Twitter is down 5 billion bucks since they banned Trump.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    According to business insider, Twitter is down 5 billion bucks since they banned Trump.
    It will be interesting to see what effect there is to profits for Amazon, Twitter, Apple, and Google after they basically conspired together to run Parler out of business. Parler had been trending in the top 5-10 of downloads over the past month and was being seen as a possible business threat to those monopolies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."