Thread: What's the price of lead these days?

What's the price of lead these days?

Is this deal worth it to any of youse reloaders? The auction only has one bid and it closes tomorrow night. I wonder why the dude dosesn't simply take it to a recycler? Guess it's easier just to have the mail carrier pick it up at his front door. (?)

I have no clue what lead is bringing these days ... just figured I'd throw it out here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lead-Remelti...30853220818%26

I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not. I have been a reloader for many years, but have just recently gotten into casting.
    I have a 45 cal muzzle loader....which is all but impossible to find bullets for so I got a mould and a melter and some soft lead, but haven't gotten to it yet. Usually I find the lead in the reloading section of eBay.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

I have no clue, but this guy is smart to use the Flat Rate Priority Mail shipping. It's a flat rate up to x-pounds. I saw another ad where the guy has like 30 pounds ... the shipping costs as much as the lead. I sold an old letter press block I found at an estate sale and the link brought up some "foundry" type stuff as references from e-Bay. A lot of them sell lead it seems.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Niner, a ton of guys at the Savage M/L website have converted to .45 cal barrels........Pacnor is making them now just for these guys. They have found some different bullets, I think mostly .40 cal bullets in a .45 cal sabot. You might check it out, holler if you want the URL. You can post a question there and 1,000 guys will answer it in five seconds. They really know their stuff.

I'd like to have that lead for making fishing weights. But not sure I'd know how to cast small ones like that. I've bought a ton of small weights in advance of potential banning of lead fishing weights.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    25lbs of shot sells for just under $40,(last fall bought 10 bags for $35 ea) back when I started trap shooting (05) you could get it for about $11. I can find some nice reclaimed stuff for about a $1 / lb and use that for all my practice rounds.
    I don't see it getting any cheaper.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

My ML is a T/C Hawken. I am pretty sure the twist on the barrel is a bit slower than those Savage units.
    I like shooting those Maxi-Balls, or Maxi-Hunters out of it. Never tried the sabots. I do have a box somebody gave me.
    45 cal sabot with 38 cal pistol bullet.....have not tried them.

Cancer Sucks!

Lead is about a buck a pound. If that is about #2 it might be worth a little more. Linotype higher yet.

Either way it's gonna be way too hard for a front stuffer and actually prob too hard for a good stiff .44-.45 revolver load. Folks tend to think everything should be cast harder than a wedding dick but 1-16. 1-20 works good for most revolver or bpcr loads with at most 3% antimony. For front loaders the more pure the better.
    A man gets one great horse and one great dog in his life, a damn lucky man might get two.

I agree, Gunther. The lead I bought for my ML, I can scratch with my fingernail. From what I've read, that's supposed to be pretty good for ML boolets.

Cancer Sucks!

I'd like that lead for duck decoy weights.
    Try finding lead balls for a .69 caliber musket!!!
    Remember my custom made flint lock? fun to shoot, but expensive too.
    Still trying to find some bismuth for the right price so I can try to htake a goose or duck with it.