Thread: Hopefully, this isn't a political post.....

Hopefully, this isn't a political post.....

I'm definitely one of the "ass beating" group.....got my ass beat just about every , and day'um sho nuf deserved it.

azzbeatn.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

Mine was dad’s belt, but mom preferred switches since I was wearing nothing but a pair of shorts 99.9% of the time. We had a “switch bush” right outside the back door. Break off a switch, pull it between your thumb and forefinger to strip the leaves off, and you had the perfect switch. It was MURDER on the back of those bare, tender thighs. I remember the time my mom got lazy and didn’t want to go for the belt or switch and said to me, “Go get me something to beat you with!” Ha ha ha ha! Big mistake! I brought her a little twig about 6” long. Ummm, it turned out, that was an even BIGGER mistake! I paid dearly for that smart-ass move!

But, in the end, I’ll admit I always deserved whatever discipline I received and (imho) I turned out just fine with no snowflake, emotional scars whatsoever.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar

Hopefully, this isn't a political post.....

I learned early on that those thin Mom belts hurt way worse than big thick Dad belts and my mother was definitely not of the wait until your father gets home school of thought. When I was in about 3rd Grade or so they must have gotten hold of some parenting book and never spanked me again. They switched to grounding me. Damn, I missed the belt. Much better to get it over with in the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chicken Dinner; 01-12-2021 at 02:20 PM.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Sorry I can’t agree with corporal punishment. What I got went way past ass beatings, the last one I was 17 and was serious and was the last time I ever lived at my home. My step Dad and I have reconciled since then but I won’t ever forget it. I’ll never raise a hand to a child and didn’t to my own kids.
    And where we are today is as much the result of the decision all of us ass-beatees made as the ones who didn’t,

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I guess it's all how and by whom you were raised.....ha, "Corporal punishment" sounds snowflakey, and I guess it was never administered to me because my mom and dad would just say, "I'm fixin' to whoop your azz", NOT, "I'm gonna give you some corporal punishment".....that sounds almost like getting nothing more than a dose of castor oil.

I got azz whoopings, and my kids got azz whoopings, and everybody turned out just fine.
    Southern Gentleman

But, is ANYBODY here surprised P-hole is on the other side of the fence?

Actually, there’s a line between discipline and child abuse. If a parent doesn’t know where that line is drawn, it’s a whole ‘nuther ballgame.

At 17 years old, an ass whoopin’ ain’t discipline, it’s a frigging fist fight.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    My dad called them attitude adjustments. I needed them, and needed them often. As far as what works best I really think it depends on the kid. I've used both and tried to adjust to what works the best. My oldest is pretty hard headed (gets it from her mom) and once bit me when I spanked her. My youngest really wants to be good and is more swayed if he thinks he's disappointed you. Both needed different forms of discipline, and it adjusted over time.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Spanking or corporal punishment is different than a beating. I never got a spanking I didn’t deserve. But, my parents figured out pretty young that I didn’t really mind being spanked all that much and switched to more effective ways of discipline. Of my two kids I’ve only skanked one of them and it was no more than three times. It just wouldn’t have been effective at al all for the other. Interestingly enough the one that got spanked is way more of a rule follower than the one who never was. I’m lucky that they’re both pretty good kids by nature and have never required any serious discipline or got into any of the sort of mischief I did as a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Hombre, I can completely relate. Actually it was my mom who gave all the ass-whoopin's, but all my dad had to do was make it evident he was disappointed in me. At those times, I'd have just about begged for an ass-whoopin' instead. All dad had to do was give me "that look" and I'd want to crawl into a hole and hide. NOT because I was afraid, I was more ashamed of myself than anything else. It's odd thinking back, but I don't EVER ... not once ... remember my dad laying a hand on me. He didn't need to. That said, every one of "those looks" as well as my mom's ass-whoopin's was 100% deserved.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    I've raised six kids and it's been different with all of them. The oldest rarely got spanked. You could count all the times on one hand and still have fingers left over. After the first few times all I had to say is: "If you keep doing that you are going to getting a spanking." The behavior would immediately stop. Plus he was a really good kid and didn't do too much that he shouldn't. My second oldest on the other hand I tried spanking him maybe twice. He is tough as nails and half ornery. The only thing a swat on the butt would do is get a defiant look back, with an attitude of...is that all you got? I found just making him go to his room for 5 to 10 minutes was far more effective. He would literally climb the walls if he was stuck in his room. The other four kids got lucky and never really needed a spanking. They had already learned from their two older brothers that a spanking was an option, and they all opted out for better behavior. I've never beat my kids, but I did come very close to a fist fight with my second oldest when he was a teenage,r and a hot shot on his football team. He got really belligerent with me once and chest bumped me in the middle of a very heated disagreement. I didn't hit him, but I went full on Drill Sargent and he learned real fast that it was a very bad idea to get physically confrontational. He probably learned a few words he hadn't heard me use before as well. He's an adult now and we are very good friends. As it should be. He did make a comment to me a few years ago that has stuck with me though. He said; "I learned that day even if I was stronger that it was a terrible idea to get in a fight with you dad, because you were absolutely fearless of me, and I would have lost for sure." I'm glad he we never had to find out.
    Last edited by Big Skyz; 01-12-2021 at 04:01 PM.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Mine was dad’s belt, but mom preferred switches since I was wearing nothing but a pair of shorts 99.9% of the time. We had a “switch bush” right outside the back door. Break off a switch, pull it between your thumb and forefinger to strip the leaves off, and you had the perfect switch. It was MURDER on the back of those bare, tender thighs. I remember the time my mom got lazy and didn’t want to go for the belt or switch and said to me, “Go get me something to beat you with!” Ha ha ha ha! Big mistake! I brought her a little twig about 6” long. Ummm, it turned out, that was an even BIGGER mistake! I paid dearly for that smart-ass move!

But, in the end, I’ll admit I always deserved whatever discipline I received and (imho) I turned out just fine with no snowflake, emotional scars whatsoever.
    This^ was exactly the way it was for us kids....mom would tear your bear legs up with that switch!....Ouch!

Daddy could just look at you with that look/ you immediately knew! (act right boy!)