Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not a Political Pillow

I know! Its too bad they didn’t have the GI Bill back then to pay for your tuition.

Its tough for a poor old democrat to get any handouts with all of you Republicans jumping the line.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I know! Its too bad they didn’t have the GI Bill back then to pay for your tuition. BKB
    Actually, they did. But I went to college straight out of high school ... hadn't entered the service yet. TBH, that was one of my "incentives". They came out with the draft lottery the year before I graduated h/s and I had a low number (guaranteed to be drafted). I figured, screw working to pay for college out of pocket, I'll get the military out of the way (IF I lived through it), then go back to school on THEIR dime.

Problem is, I came home married and had to go to work to pay the rent. I never did get a degree OR use that G.I. Bill.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

That’s one of my biggest regrets, Jim, that I didn’t use mine either. I was too busy working and earning a living.

Just imagine though if you’d have spent the money to go to Trump University! You’d be rich! The man’s take on college is so different than the traditional one, mainly because he’s a BUSINESSMAN.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    I just had a thought...all my direct uncles were drafted including Daddy (12 in all)....then I had another thought/ all my uncles by marriage were drafted too!

That’s one of my biggest regrets, Jim, that I didn’t use mine either. I was too busy working and earning a living. BkB
    Ditto. It was my usual luck. They came out with the draft lottery and the only two years they used it was for guys born in 1951 and those born in 1952. My (adopted) brother's birthday was July 1951 and mine was January 1952. What are the odds?

He was attending the Univ. of Southern Mississippi, quit and joined the Coast Guard, finished training and received orders for Hawaii. (where he spent his whole 4-year tour!)

I was attending the Univ. of Tennessee, quit and joined the Army, finished training and received orders for Vietnam! (what's wrong with THAT picture?)

It tells me your brother might have got the brains!

Julie and I attended a wedding aboard a big sailboat in Key West once. The groom, best man, and groomsmen were all Coasties. We got evacuation orders because of a hurricane coming our way and we had a rental car so we bugged out to Fort Lauderdale to catch a plane hone. That drive on A1A at 10mph the whole way is a whole nother story. We gave a lift to one of the Coasties who was headed to Hawaii for his first assignment out of tech school or whatever they call their officer training school. He was a deisel/power plant engineer and knew his damn shit. An officer obviously, with an engineering degree.
    Anyway, I was impressed with those kids. They all had promising careers ahead of them and a place to get amazing work experience too.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Well jeez, a fella can't win for losing around here. I come in singing the song of your people.....free money......free money.....free money and now I'm and idiot.

As for the "plan" I just read through it. It basically fast forwards me 2017 when Kenzi graduated HS with a free associates degree. I don't know how long we've had the fast track program here but its been a while.

That’s because you live in a blue state Hombre.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    That may be true, it actually is a hell of a program. Kids coming out with 2 years done out of high school really helps.

Kenzi isn’t your average bear either.

This is a sticky wicket for me. I think the program you’re talking about is an honest to goodness great one. I’m not sure federalizing it across the board is though. And I’m not sure federally funding will make it happen with any consistency either. So there is that. To me the best solution is for the feds to create a path for states to get best practices help from other states and provide targeted help that states have to wualify for to get. I’m sure the tech corridoryou live in hassomething to do with it as well. As you well know, those opportunities just don’t exist here. What came first in Washington state? The job demand or the education opportunities?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

It tells me your brother might have got the brains! BKB
    Actually, I "thought" I'd pulled the brainiac move. Coasties ... as well as ALL the other branches BUT the Army, require a 4-year hitch. The Army was only 3 years. I thought it was a no-brainer and joined the Army!

Problem was, once I took the entrance exam, I was pulled aside and asked to go into Mil. Intel. The mental image of a sports car, cool little weapons and a hot chick hanging on my arm, sucked my ass right in. I had brief thoughts of changing my last name though. For some reason, saying, "Kribbs .... James Kribbs" just didn't sound all that cool. Anyway, I gladly signed on the dotted line, then was informed, since spy school required extensive training, the hitch was 4 FRIGGING YEARS!! Maybe my bro DID have the brains afterall.

Honestly though, as it turned out, I wouldn't trade my stint in the military for all the tea in China. The lifelong friendships established and the experience itself is pretty much priceless imho. Without that lottery hanging over my head, I'd have never in a bazillion years even considered going into the military.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    XL cancellation will cost some 60K jobs, most of them in the U.S. but also a real kick in the nuts for my old province of Alberta. Very old and good friend of ours will probably lose her company over this. They were struggling with covid but XL would have kept them afloat. This cancellation will probably be the end. Real people not ideologies. Why cancel XL - to appease a few green meanies? Bad decision for both our countries and just the beginning.