Thread: Glad I didn't have to use the peashooter Walther I had in my pocket!

Glad I didn't have to use the peashooter Walther I had in my pocket!

It's a .32 and just makes little holes, but it's handy and not too cumbersome.

I'm about as laid back as they come, but maybe all the stupid politics these days is making ME a bit crazy. I've heard about, read about, seen examples on the news about and seen YouTube videos about ..... these stupid confrontations people get into over being required to wear masks inside businesses. Well, today, I not only witnessed one of these confrontations, I became a part of one!

I had a doctor's appointment at the VA today and on the way home, stopped at a local thrift store (close to my house) to search for a possible hidden treasure or two. The name of the place is "Children's Thrift Store" and it's my understanding they donate the proceeds to missing or exploited children. I honestly don't know if the employees are paid or are volunteers, not that it matters really. I do know that the employees are normally elderly (two older women up front and an older gentleman in the back taking in donations and sorting/pricing inventory). They look like your typical retiree types doing something useful with their free time.

Anyway, there's a sign on the door (as well as on their website) that masks are required for anyone entering the store. As I was perusing the goodies in the store, some dude walked in without a mask and one of the women at the counter politely informed him masks are required to enter the store. The dude went ballistic and proceeded to go on a long rant about them stomping all over his freedoms and the right to make his own decisions. He was then informed it was store policy and is for the safety of everyone .... employees and customers alike. He then exploded into an even louder rant and I decided to move over to where the women were behind the counter as I could see they were getting really nervous. He raved on about the 10's of thousands of veterans lying in cemeteries who'd fought and died for his freedom to make his own decision as to wear a mask or not.

He went on about how the veterans would be rolling over in their graves if they knew what was going on in this country and how the rights they'd died to protect were being trashed. Ok, this is where I just had to open my big mouth as he had the two grandmotherly types cowering in the corner by now. I asked him what branch of the service he served in and I was told it was none of my f'ing business. I told him it IS my business as I have the right to NOT be exposed to his frigging germs and maybe I frequent this particular business because they DO require masks! He then spewed more b/s about his rights being infringed upon and I again asked him when and where he had fought for those rights as he kept bringing up the dead vets who protected those rights, then he reiterated that it was none of my business and I need to butt out of the "conversation". By this time I'd had enough of this nutbag and told him to leave the store, as he'd been asked, and to check out the license plate on the blue truck right behind him (I was parked in the handicapped space right at the front door) on his way out. I informed him it was MY truck and if he wanted to discuss the situation further, I'd be glad to step outside and let him tell me why he thought it was "none of my business". He mumbled some b/s that I didn't even understand and as he stormed out of the store, I saw him take a quick glance at my license plate, then continued stomping back to his car and drove out of the lot. (I know, the reg. expired on my birthday and I got my new decal in the mail a few days ago, just haven't put it on yet)

vetplate.jpg

I bought a couple of items, told the ladies to just call the cops if he came back in without a mask or made a scene and they thanked me profusely! It made the whole ordeal worth it. What a frigging punk he was.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Thumper bout opened up a can of whoop ass!

Last edited by airbud7; 01-19-2021 at 07:18 PM.

No, in my condition, these days, a strong third-grader could prolly kick my ass .... but HE didn't know that.

Besides, we have a "stand your ground" law here and I could have easily been "in fear of great bodily harm".

Florida’s “Stand-Your-Ground” law states, “A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be, has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another ...

Proud of you, Thump.....I understand ya'lls stand-your-ground law, but, what would you have done, if he had gone ballistic, and actually pulled out a gun or knife on you???
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 01-19-2021 at 07:38 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Who knows? Sometimes you just have to face situations instead of turning away. The punk was screaming at two little old ladies, so how tough could he be? WTF? He was just a jerk ... all mouth and no balls.

To answer your question ... I guess I may have been shot or stabbed ... or quite possibly, he'd have been shot. I didn't think the loudmouth had anything in him TBH, but admittedly, I prolly wouldn't have been as brave without back-up in my pocket. There was a time, I'd have just kicked his ass, but those days are LONG gone.

I'm pretty much non-confrontational and it takes a LOT to set me off, but this guy was just simply irritating. I didn't feel a bit nervous confronting him ... he just seemed like he needed a swift kick in the nuts to shut him up.

TBH, "punk" may not be the correct term as it paints a mental picture of a young, fearless and stupid thug. If you'd seen this guy on the street, you'd think he was the All-American dad next door (white, maybe in his mid-30's) with kids who went to school with your own. He was clean-cut, drove a nice car ... newer Buick (I think ... heck, they all look alike these days) and looked like your average Joe Blow. I don't know what his problem was and looking at him, his actions just "appeared' out of character. I have to assume he was a Trump puppet and the political b/s going on has him all stirred up. I have no clue, it's just the impression I had of him.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    From the godfather: "Some people are just running down the street begging for someone to kill them."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Thank you both for your service to our country and for putting that idiot in his place. Don't let it go to your head but I'm really proud of you and the action you took in that situation.

It always irks me to see someone go after a person who can’t respond back. Glad you were there to restore some order.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I just can't believe people treat others that way. I know, I see it all the time on tv or other news sources, but rarely experience such actions personally. These were two very polite, very sweet old ladies and he was going full-assed Rambo on them. WTF? It's hard to believe people can be such assholes over something so petty. Who knows, maybe he'd just had a fight with his wife or something.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    You mean he just had a fight with his ex-wife or something.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    So many problems would be avoided if we just had good manners. That's my dear mother talking there I'd guess.

Unfortunately so many of us don't recognize those we interact with as other people. They're the enemy, or whatever. Even if they are just as powerless to change things as we are. I don't know much but I'm pretty sure the two old ladies in that shop didn't come up with the protocols for dealing with COVID. Whether they agree or disagree with them. Like the rest of us they're just doing what they're told.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by Big Skyz View Post
    You mean he just had a fight with his ex-wife or something.
    Ha ha! If that's his normal demeanor, I wouldn't blame her for being an "ex"!