There is a major learning curve with eBay and estate sales .... and I've paid my dues over the years. The learning curve mostly revolves around what to buy, what will sell and what will bring enough profit to make the effort worthwhile. Don't get me wrong, I STILL screw up from time to time, but the result is usually nothing more than a skinnier profit margin than I care to work for. Well, years ago, right after I attended my first estate sale, I decided hitting them regularly and selling on eBay might be a way to put a few extra bucks in my pocket. So, I learned how to find the upcoming sales and started my little adventure. I hit a sale put on by a local company and had no frigging clue what I was doing. I remember buying a fugly-assed bowl ... or ashtray, or whatever it was. To this day, I have no clue why. I guess it just looked "mid-century cool" at the time, I don't know.

california pottery.jpg

I soon learned, just because something looked cool to me, it didn't mean squat when it came to resale. But, I fumbled on and somehow learned the ropes without going bankrupt. Well, at this particular sale, I met the people running it, chatted with them a bit and we pretty much hit it off. I became a regular at their sales. In fact, these days, we're good friends, I still attend their sales and I even work for them if they're short-handed. I've been to their homes, partied with them, met for lunch ... basically, we've become friends over time.

But, back to this fugly bowl. I listed that thing when I first brought it home all those years ago and it's been sitting on eBay ever since ... for how long? Oh, maybe 10 years or so? I don't even remember. I've got a saying ... you can sell ANYTHING on eBay, but I'd pretty much made up my mind that this particular item was gonna make a liar out of me. I've had the listing on automatic renewal since day one. It's sat there buried in my listings for all these years and just would not sell! Many times I've considered shutting down the listing and just chunking the thing in the trash to gain a bit more storage space, but it wasn't costing me anything to keep it listed, so I let it ride.

BINGO! It sold just a few minutes ago to a lady in Arizona! Now all I have to do is find it! I'm sure it's buried as I haven't laid eyes on it in years, but I do know the general area it's in. Or SHOULD be! Oh, and BTW ... if anybody should ask, just tell 'em YOU CAN SELL ANYTHING ON EBAY!