Thread: Cold Stuff

Cold Stuff

-1 here this morning with a brusque north wind still blowing snow. Folks in Texas are enduring rolling electricity blackouts because of the electricity demand.
    My pool has frozen over makng my back yard a doggy death trap be ause all the snow has made the pool invisible. So I have to walk the dogs out front on leashes every few hours.
    I was kind of feeling sorry for myself until I thought of my grand parents who' at least until my late teen years, had no indoor plumbing and used an outhouse, which I’ve myself used many times. (good place to look at the Sears catalogue!)
    I can’t imagine sitting my ass on that cold wood! My brain seems to have shitcanned those memories because I’ve done it!

Anyway, hope your morning is warm.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha! I know how your brain can shit-can memories like that! I spent almost 4 years living in a small village in Thailand. We did have electricity occasionally. The village had an old WWII era generator that would work a few days, then break down while awaiting repair for a few months at a time, then repeat ... and repeat ... and repeat! These days, I'd frigging die without a/c and the village was jungle area with temps and humidity higher than Florida! Same deal with the outside toilet. There was no running water, but my papason and I built a water tower with TEAK boards and I paid a village kid to draw water from the open well every couple days, and climb up to the top of the tower, dump the water in and repeat until full. Between him and the monsoon season, I always had running water for a shower (I'd strain the mosquito larvae out with on old t-shirt if using it for cooking or boiling for drinking water). The kitchen, which consisted of a little charcoal stove, was also outside and a little old lady in the village would come by every few days to refill my charcoal box with her homemade charcoal. BUT .... I was younger back then and MUCH more resilient. Once I got used to the lack of simple luxuries, it became "normal" to me and I didn't really miss them. I think what made it easier was the fact the villagers I lived amongst had less that I did. At least I didn't have to worry about my pool freezing over!

Here's my kitchen stove. You'd simply get the coals going and a wok, skillet or large pot would sit right on top.

thaistove.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    We still use a privy at my hunt camp and let me tell you that seat is every bit as cold as you remember it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    - 6 and a nice breeze.. as us kids used to say, "cool"..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    I watched a "How Do They Make That" show a while back and they did those little stove things. Kool.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    We still use a privy at my hunt camp and let me tell you that seat is every bit as cold as you remember it!

As far as outdoor shitters go, your club shitters are top notch!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Here’s something that never occurred to me to check for when visiting the outhouse...

https://apple.news/A-GXQbiFCQfiedmGTChyyWw

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    What does that say on the tv screen? "Ice Problem Trump's Fault"?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Here’s something that never occurred to me to check for when visiting the outhouse...

https://apple.news/A-GXQbiFCQfiedmGTChyyWw
    Ha ha ha! Something similar happened to me as a kid. I was spending the summer at my grandparent's place in N. Carolina and we were visiting a friend on the other side of the river. They had a little country shack (their permanent residence) with just an outhouse shitter. I was probably 7-8 years old and had always been told to watch for those copperheadedrattlemoccasins when running around those mountains (copperheads were very common in that area). Anyway, while there, I had to hit the outhouse and shortly after sitting down, sumpin' bit my ass and I KNEW I'd been snake bit! When I busted out'ta there at a full run I 'bout ripped the door off the hinges and tripped elebenty-bazillion times since my pants were still down around my knees! I'd have made a fortune on America's Funniest Home Video's if anybody would have captured it on film. Of course I was screaming for my grandparents so they could rush me to the hospital as I KNEW I was gonna die!

My grandfather (Pop) went up to the outhouse and found a damn chicken in the hole. That bitch had pecked me on my little lily-white ass! I no longer had to poop as I must have left a trail half way back to the house! Of course, both my grandparents are long gone now, but you KNOW that story was re-told a bazillion times as I was growing up.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    We had an outhouse at our first deer camp, had a buddy show up as a new comer and when it was time for him to walk out to the shitter, we told him to walk around the outhouse kicking the side and shouting as skunks would sometimes hide inside.
    We watched out the window as he did this with all seriousness , we were on the floor laughing our ass's off. He did not take it well.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me