Thread: Ethanol is the debbil??

Ethanol is the debbil??

I thought I could recall having this conversation before, so did a search and found it. (It also made me miss Cappy) It's an interesting read if anyone wants to go back to it.

http://www.goodhunting.info/showthre...hlight=ethanol

If you didn't feel like reading through all of that, I'll get to my point here. I keep hearing how ethanol is the most evil thing known to man and even if you have a truckload of Seafoam it's still gonna get'cha one way or another.

When the recession hit in 2008, my business went down the tubes almost overnight and I had to do something immediately to pay the bills, so I started driving a truck. Since I was on the road all the time, I had to hire someone to cut my lawn. I also could no longer hunt as I didn't have the time off I had before. I parked my (Honda) 4-wheeler in my shed after deer season of 2007 and never so much as started it after parking it. In 2018, a buddy of mine asked me about it and when I said it had been sitting in the shed for the past 10-11 years. He asked to buy it from me and I agreed, but informed him he'd have to go through the fuel system, etc, as I just drove it in the shed, turned the key off and it hasn't been touched since. We agreed on a price and out of curiosity, the day before he showed up, I hooked up the jumper cables and it fired right up, immediately! The only thing I'd ever put in the tank was ethanol, although everyone told me I was insane for doing so. The last time I saw my buddy was about 6-8 months ago and he informed me he STILL has that 4-wheeler and hasn't had to do a thing to it since dragging it out of my shed.

Now for the real impetus of this post. At the end of the growing season in the Fall of 2007, I mowed my yard, finished up and drove my mower into the shed. It was probably around October, 2007. About 2 months later the recession hit and I was out of work by Christmas. I started driving a truck in January of 2008 and in November 2009, all Hell broke loose and I ended up in the hospital The rest is history, but needless to say, I haven't been able to cut my grass since and now have a regular "yard guy". My buddy stopped by this morning and as we were talking, he mentioned his mower crapped out on him and it's pretty much toast, but he really can't afford a new one. (he lives in an OLD single-wide, early 60's model trailer out in the middle of nowhere and really has zilch for money) A light went off and I told him my old mower is sitting in the shed, but it hasn't moved since 2007. I told him I'd GIVE it to him if he wants to fool with it. I told him I drove it in there and it ran fine, but he'd have to put a battery in it, go through the fuel system and it'd probably be cheaper to simply throw a new carb. on it (usually cheaper than a rebuild these days). Man-o-man, he was a happy camper. I loaned him my trailer and we hooked it to his truck, then he drove it out back to my shed (I have an acre of property). I flipped the compressor in my garage, filled my air tank, took it to the shed, we aired the tires up and rolled it onto my trailer.

I just received this text from him. "Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Jimmy! The mower fired right up and everything works great!

That thing has been sitting in my shed with a 1/2 tank of ethanol since 2007! No Seafoam, no Sta-Bil ... nuttin but 100+ degree summer temps. Now, I'm wondering if those two Honda pressure washers I have in my other shed will crank? I haven't so much as LOOKED at them since 2007. I'll guarandamntee you, non-ethanol gas would have been a total glob of sticky, gooey, varnish smellin' gunk!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I had to have the carb rebuilt and the catalytic converter bypassed on my 2002 Yamaha Waverunner a few years ago because of using ethanol gas in it. Since then i haven’t put anything but ethanol free gas through my boat and PWC’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

If I picked up a mower from a friend and knew all I had to do was spend 10 minutes draining the carb bowl and blowing out the jets, I’d tell him it fired right up to!

He said all he did was pull the battery out of his old mower that just blew up, hit the choke, turned on the key, hit the starter and it cranked right up. He said he figured he’d at least try it before pulling the carb off. He’s as surprised as I am TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty View Post
    If I picked up a mower from a friend and knew all I had to do was spend 10 minutes draining the carb bowl and blowing out the jets, I’d tell him it fired right up to!

You’re so sexy when you talk techie.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    He said all he did was pull the battery out of his old mower that just blew up, hit the choke, turned on the key, hit the starter and it cranked right up. He said he figured he’d at least try it before pulling the carb off. He’s as surprised as I am TBH.
    That’s pretty impressive!

PS those pressure washers at most need a quick drain of the tank. A shit of carb cleaner, and they might start right up. And they worth several hundred on Craigslist.

I just reread your post...you are correct on the non ethanol being a glob of hardened molasses.
    That still happens with ethanol gas after it separates. Water goes to bottom.
    That 90% of non starts in the spring. Ethanol gas sat and separated, jet was sucking straight water.

The rest will then create that gooey shit, and that “old gas” smell.

You heathens never heard of SeaFoam?

Penalty points!
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar

Ethanol is the debbil??

I’m glad it worked out for your buddy. Maybe it’s the Florida weather or something. But, I had the carbs go bad in multiple pieces of yard equipment and had to rebuild the carb on my ATV when using ethanol. Maybe it’s the Florida weather or quite possibly the cheap carbs they put in most small engines these days. But, since I switched to non-ethanol and treat with sea foam I haven’t had a problem.

I’ll also not that on almost every lawn mower I see today it says don’t use ethanol.

Last edited by Chicken Dinner; 02-17-2021 at 09:11 AM.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Hey, I don't have an answer. I grew up in the "if it sits too long, you're gonna (at minimum) need to pull the tank, clean it ... flush the fuel lines ... change the filter ... rebuild/replace the carb" era. And I told my buddy he should drain the old fuel and replace it, but will probably need to order a carb for it (usually cheaper than a rebuild these days). He said the only thing he did when he got it home was to top off the tank with fresh fuel (it had 1/2 tank of old fuel in it), stuck a battery in it and it fired right off. What can I say? That's 2 for 2 now ... 4-wheeler and lawn mower. Maybe I'm just extremely lucky. I'm not praising ethanol's stability. As far as I'm concerned, ANYBODY would be an idiot to think it'd be no problem starting a "small" gas engine after sitting in a shed for 14 years. no matter what kind of fuel it had in the tank. Maybe I should try my luck in Vegas.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    My summer fun cars get put a way for 6 months with an almost full tank of 93 oct. gas and Stabil, never had a problem over the 17 years I've been doing this.
    All my other engines, boat, mower and snowblower only use non ethanol gas, when in use or storage, when in storage they also get Stabil.
    We have a temp swing up here of about 90-100 degrees.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

My outboard is now 21 years old and I make every attemptto use nothing but non-ethanol gas. It still runs like a top, knock on wood.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I even ran ethanol in my outboards when I had them. I guess I just like bucking the trends. I ain't sayin' the stuff is good, I just never worried about it. The only place I ever buy gas is Sam's Club. If traveling, it's Sam's or Wally World as I'm cheap and they have cheap gas.

Someone may have said this but a lot depends on how its stored and for how long.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

#1 - It was stored in my mower’s gas tank.
    #2 - For 14 years.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I've run it in all my vehicles since it came out. I still do not run it in outboards or small engines. My dad has run it it in all his vehicles - including outboards and small engines.. no problems..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.