Thread: Stupidity ...

Stupidity ...

I have a long-standing thing about loyalty and usually stand by the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought.

I've been with Chase Bank since 1975.

I bought my first Toyota (a pick-up) in 1981, LOVED it and have had nothing but Toyotas ever since (I did fall off the wagon a couple times, but immediately regretted it and took a loss to get back into a Toyota).

I've been with American Express since 1982.

I've had my cell service with Verizon since 1989. Actually, it started out as GTE, Altel bought them out, then Verizon bought THEM out. But, when Verizon pulls up my account, it shows I've been their customer since I moved back to Florida in '89. (I was with PacBell in California in the old "car phone" days)

Anyway, you get the idea, I'm resistant to change. Well, I finally got off my "loyalty" thing and switched all my "communications" crap over to Spectrum. Home phone, cell phones, internet, tv ... all in one big bundle. I was a bit hesitant with switching cell phone carriers, but they informed me they are contracted with Verizon and use Verizon's towers, so nothing will change. (after driving a truck covering 48 states and Canada, I know for a FACT, Verizon has the best coverage out there).

So far, my internet is faster than what I had before and everything has been a seamless transition. The icing on the cake? My combined bills are now $248 less PER MONTH than what I've been paying! That's close to $3000/year I've been throwing away just for being "loyal". What a dufe. Loyalty can be a good thing in some instances, but stupid in others.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    buddy of mine had the same Southern Bell/AT&T phone number for 50 years that they never used yet he still wanted to keep it???
    I told him about Magic Jack keep your same number 5 year plan...saved him $30 a month...$1800 over 5 years.

I've had the same cell phone number for 32 years .... although they changed the prefix when they switched from analog to digital years ago. Luckily, it didn't change with this switch.

Sounds like a 5G bundle. They doing it over cable or wireless? 5G is going to be a big game changer.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I'm living in the dark ages ... it's cable. Heck, give me time ... this replaced my DSL! (I told you I'm resistant to change). Heck, it's a wonder I wasn't still on dial-up!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    5G requires direct line-of-sight for household internet and a rooftop antenna.

I would never go that route however I would take fiber internet.

...and a covid vaccination w/microchip
    Viva Renaldo!

I remember when DSL was the latest and greatest thing going. I couldn't get it because we didn't have fiber optic cable at the time. When fiber optic was finally installed in our area, I was offered the "opportunity" to switch over to DSL, only because I had a commercial account and the slow roll-over didn't include residential (who were eventually included). Ha! I've been on DSL ever since ... well, until yesterday anyway.