Thread: I've been hacked

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

I've been hacked

or something similar. I've had the same credit card for about 20 years with never a problem then someone got hold of it somehow and tried to run up about 50 to 60 charges on it. Fortunately, security caught it and shut it down with only a couple small charges getting through. Took me an hour to go thru each individual charge with the fraud guy and another two hours to change all my autopay's over to my wife's card.

There would be blood if I could get my fat fingers around the neck/necks of the sorry little bastage/bastages. I despise a thief with a purple passion

I'm with you on the despising thieves Q/A.

I had the same happen once, but I guess I've been lucky since I carry very little cash and use credit cards extensively, not only locally, but when traveling domestically or internationally. ALL my bills are paid with autopay arrangements and of course all on-line shopping is done with a card. I use AmEx almost exclusively (for the flyer miles) and only use our Visa very rarely, only if someplace doesn't accept AmEx. A few year ago, I picked up something at a Dollar General store and they don't accept AmEx, so I used my Visa card. Shortly afterwards (within a week?) I was notified by the fraud dept. that my card was being used in Puerto Rico and they wanted to know if it was me. Nope, I'm sittin' in Florida and haven't been to Puerto Rico lately! It seems they ran a couple of small charges through buying minutes for a cell phone card ... then when they went through, they started buying blocks of large volume minutes (I assume that's what alerted the fraud dept). I told the fraud investigators they should look at Dollar General as that's the ONLY place I'd used the card in probably a year or so and had just recently used it there (I'm sure they could see that in my records). They reversed the charges and I never heard another thing about it. No clue if the caught the dirty bastages or not.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Happened to me too. I'm like you and wanted to go medieval on somebody's ass. I'll never know who did it... But it was squared away pretty quickly.

It's common. They'll get you squared away in no time.

As much as I use credit cards, I'm really surprised I haven't had more problems. Heck, we use other cards (Visa or Mastercard) at a few places that have dedicated cards (Walmart for example) as we sometimes get discounts, etc. We have a few M/C and Visa cards that we just hold for emergencies or in case another card won't go through for some odd reason and we'll occasionally use one just to keep it current. But, our main go-to card is AmEx and that card alone runs an average of $2000-$3000 monthly (I pay the balance monthly), so I guess they have a pretty good handle on their security measures.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain