Thread: Paying the price

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar

Paying the price

So yesterday I get up well before sun up and get ready to spend the day calling coyotes. I had a friend travel 80 miles over icy snow covered roads to join me. We get to our first set up and right away we call in this big male. My partner was doing the hand calling and the coyote came in on my side. So I shot him at 210 yards just as he was about to hit our scent line. In fact, I think as I killed him he was fixing to bugger out judging by his body posture. We figured with such a great start that we were in for a good day. Well it was a great day in regards to enjoying each others company, seeing lots of great country, and hiking many miles. We hunted right up until dark. However we didn't call in another coyote the rest of the day. This morning I'm paying the price with a nasty head cold, and also feeling a little stiff and sore from all the hiking. It was a ton of effort for just one coyote. Would I do it all again, knowing we would only get one coyote? You bet, in a heart beat.

Hey Troy, just a curiosity question, but do you include coyotes much in your art? I don't remember seeing many if any. As much as you like to hunt them, I was just wondering.
    BKB

Your camo.....never mind.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

No it don't does it?
    BKB

BBP, as a matter of fact yes, now and then I do.

Gold Scrathboard

Sliver Scratchboard

Graphite Drawing

uhhhhhh WOW!
    beautiful even if they are of mangy critters!

If you've ever watched a coyote chasing grasshoppers in the summer or fall, that middle one of the coyote leaping captures it perfectly.

BKB

Sky, I've said it a million times, but, again, you have amazing talent, my friend!!!

Even on my pc screen, it's as if I can reach out, and run my fingers thru their fur....thanks for sharing those pics.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 02-19-2013 at 02:19 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Sky, I've had days like that, while crappie fishing....motor a LONG ways down the lake to one of my favorite fishing spots, and drop my jig next to the first good-looking stump or log that I see....a slab crappie nails the jig, and I'm all grins.

Then, I don't get another hit the rest of the entire day....doesn't happen very often to me, but I have had it happen on several ocassions.
    Southern Gentleman

Eddie, I know exactly what you are talking about. I've had that happen several times while fishing crappie and perch being the most notorious for this. Then on other days the same fish seem almost suicidal as they fight over who gets to jump in the boat next. Bass don't even drive me as crazy as crappie and perch can some days.

Sky, I sent you a pm....you get it???
    Southern Gentleman

Crappie and perch.,..... starting to salivate just thinking about them. One of my favorite perch spots is in a channel with some decent current. I get strange looks with my boat jammed up in the cattails along the edge and fishing between the boats passing by. Luke and I just smile and add perch to the live well. If we get 5 minutes between boats, we can add 2-3 perch every time. Once we fish out a pocket of big perch, we move down the channel til we see perch flair as we putt-putt over them. I steer into the weeds again, kill the motor and do it again.
    Once we work through the channel, we hit the main lake and catch a bunch more with the occasional chunck bluegill(bream to you southerners- and yeah they are usually titty -bream).

Eddie, I'm glad you said something or that PM would have got past me.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Sky and Ed.........I have days like that fishing, too...........

Well, minus that first hit, of course.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I've gone so far as to consider an ill omen if my day starts out too good when I'm fishing. That is, unless it just keeps on being that good. then its one of 'those' days.

They's all good though and they all beat the hell out of working.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Keeping the first one is the worst JuJu of all. Terrible!!!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Yes. 'for the fishing gods'.

BKB

BBP, yes it does best the best of work. Some days this freaking desk and classroom feel just like a ball and chain inside a prison cell. Other days it's not so bad.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Love the silver scratch art of the coyote pouncing. WAY cool.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    many moons ago, I worked on a dairy one summer and the farmer had a couple of coyotes he had raised from pups. They were skittish and wouldn't let you touch them but they hung around with the dogs and would come to eat if you called them. One of the farmers sons had bought an open faced reel and was learning how to pull out backlashes. I had a big practice weight which was a triangular shaped piece of rubber with an eye on it. Moe was casting that weight down the road trying to get the feel of his thumb pressure when one of those coyotes stuck his head out of the weeds watching that weight moving. Moe stopped reeling and twitched it a time or two when that yote grabbed it and took off. Moe snatched like he was setting the hook and that coyote went nuts. It took him about 7 or 8 seconds to spit it out. I looked at Moe and said straight faced, " keep your rod tip up and your line tight or he'll throw it everytime". We busted out laughing and nobody would believe moe when he told the story.

Those two coyotes entertained us many a time that summer
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein