Thread: Thump

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

Thump

I am wondering is there such a thing as an electric cast iron skillet/griddle? All the ones I've found on the web don't look like cast iron to me.

I'm in the market if there is such a critter

Ha! I’d never thought about it, but I’ve also never seen one that I can recall. Interesting idea though. How ‘bout a cast iron skillet on a hotplate?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

They make them, but Ithink every one I’ e seen has a non stick coating of some sort.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    When I am frying fish for just a few folks or myself I use a small cast iron Dutch oven on my portable induction burner outside. They heat up really quick and can be picked up on Amazon for pretty cheap. Mine is an 1800W and I paid like $50 for it.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

I’m going to have to check those out Trav. Good idea.

As for griddles, I prefer cast aluminum over cast iron. I own both and the cast aluminum one is my regular user. I have a huge cast iron one that Bassdog gave me years ago that covers all three burners on my old Coleman stove, but it is slightly warped. Still works great though.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I had an 1800W induction burner and you couldn’t give me a dozen more just like it. All the copper/aluminum/Teflon electric skillets I see burn thru the non stick coating on the first egg you fry.

I was hoping they made them in cast iron

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    I had an 1800W induction burner and you couldn’t give me a dozen more just like it. All the copper/aluminum/Teflon electric skillets I see burn thru the non stick coating on the first egg you fry.

I was hoping they made them in cast iron
    I can certainly see that, I only use cast iron or my carbon steel pans on it. The few non stick I have are only used on my gas range. Frying fish on the patio keeps my house from smelling like a Mississippi catfish house.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Since the kids have grown and gone we've downsized and we exiled the stove to the back porch. I'm just looking for something to fry sausage and eggs for breakfast without having stand outside in 30 degree weather and doesn't require a chisel to get an egg out of it

I bought a Nuwave induction burner and it was so unpredictable as to render itself totally useless. So I bought a Teflon electric skillet and everything sticks plus you need a sandblaster to clean it. Long story short, I'm standing out on the back porch in my drawers and tee shirt shivering while cooking breakfast

Long story short, I'm standing out on the back porch in my drawers and tee shirt shivering while cooking breakfast
    As long as the tee shirt ain't a wife-beater, ya' gots my respect!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Since the kids have grown and gone we've downsized and we exiled the stove to the back porch. I'm just looking for something to fry sausage and eggs for breakfast without having stand outside in 30 degree weather and doesn't require a chisel to get an egg out of it

I bought a Nuwave induction burner and it was so unpredictable as to render itself totally useless. So I bought a Teflon electric skillet and everything sticks plus you need a sandblaster to clean it. Long story short, I'm standing out on the back porch in my drawers and tee shirt shivering while cooking breakfast
    I’m notsure what you’re complaining about. Spring is right around the corner.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

just curmudgeoning, It's not spring year round