Thread: RIP Marvelous Marvin

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar

RIP Marvelous Marvin

Marvelous Marvin Hagler dead at 66.
    https://news.yahoo.com/marvin-hagler...003151282.html

That was a golden era for boxing. Hagler, Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard, and Roberto Duran all beating the hell out of each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I still say he beat Sugar Ray

I never really was a boxing fan, but during those times, I had a good buddy who was a huge fan. I'd go to his place and we'd drink copious amounts of beer while I watched the fights with him. I actually enjoyed it for the most part ... prolly more for the good company and free beer than anything else, but it did provide some good memories.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Hagler was always my favorite of that group.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

This is one reason I'd hate to see this place go down the tubes. I thought the above post sounded familiar, so I used this site's search feature. Here's a related thread from 6 years ago.

Here's one of your posts in the thread Deppity:

I used to love watching boxing, especially the middle-weights in the '80's. Hit-man Hearns, Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran. Those dudes had some hellacious fights. Kinda like the heavyweights in the '70's with Frazier, Foreman, and Ali.
    http://www.goodhunting.info/showthre...+foreman+vegas

I used to be a huge boxing fan. Ali is my favorite athlete of my lifetime. Kinda died off with the advent of MMA but that’s fine too. I watch that stuff sometimes but it doesn’t really hold my interest.

I never cared for Hagler but he was a good fighter, no doubt. That seems too soon for someone that should have been in decent shape but who knows.

I mean, look at how some of us have let ourselves go. Not me, of course.. I know a guy.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Casual boxing fan here during the period mentioned. When Mike Tyson unified the heavy weight titles was also fun to watch. I’m sure it’s my age, but I just can’t get into MMA..

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Julie and I followed MMA a little when a friend that Hombre introduced us to got involved. He did pretty well. We went to UFC 68 (I think) in Vegas to see him fight and it was a cool scene. More talent in every direction than you can shake a stick at, which was my favorite part. I kept my stick to myself.
    It was a fun time, but after Dave got out of it we never really kept any interest in it.
    I grew up during Ali and it was a really strange time. People loved him, but everyone I knew hated him. Hated his guts I mean. Very racial and he knew how and what buttons to push to bring it out in people too.
    Don King ruined boxing forever. Everything that came after he got big in boxing is e er bit as fake as WWW.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

There was a time I despised Ali (whom I grew up knowing as Cassius Clay). When he became a draft dodger on "religious grounds", I lost all respect for him. Heck, he was a guy who made his living by beating dudes to a pulp. I remember he opposed the war and tried the conscientious objector route to try getting out of the draft because he was a peace loving guy who had nothing against the Vietnamese, yet he publicly stated he'd be willing to participate in an Islamic Holy War. WTF? For years, I put him in the same boat with "Hanoi Jane" Fonda.

BUT ... as the years progressed, I actually got to like the guy ... a lot! Hanoi Jane? I never did give a squat about her after her fiasco with the Viet Cong. I happened to be there at the same time she was, but we were on opposite sides of the DMZ at the time. Although I totally reversed my opinion of Ali, I'd still be happy to stand in line to piss on Fonda's grave once she gets there.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    Hagler was always my favorite of that group....
    Mine too. Nose pointed ahead, eyes on his man, power from his shoulders, shifty but always balanced and ready to strike. He really was an incredible fighter.

But what do I know? I always thought Alexis Arguello was pound for pound the best I ever saw... and I thought Ali on the best day of his life still wasn't a match for Larry Holmes.

Will

Arguello v Boom Boom Mancini is without a doubt the best fight I ever saw on TV. And a true sportsman to the end. He knew what the two of them had done.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Best fight I ever saw was Bobby Chacon vs Bazooka Limon at 135 lbs.

Best lb for lb fighter to me was Salvador Sanchez.

Aaron Pryor broke my heart when he absolutely destroyed Arguello twice

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    Best fight I ever saw was Bobby Chacon vs Bazooka Limon at 135 lbs.

Best lb for lb fighter to me was Salvador Sanchez.

Aaron Pryor broke my heart when he absolutely destroyed Arguello twice
    He cheated.
    Viva Renaldo!

That was the allegation.

Ali had the misfortune to come along at time when the heavyweight division was weak. George Chuvalo Gerry Quarry Chuck Wepner, Ron Lyle, and Joe Bugner were all chumps. Norton and Frazier not great by any stretch. Jimmy young, Jimmy Ellis and Oscar Bonavena were mediocre at best.

Ali had tremendous skills but suspect power. I think he and Holmes in their prime would have been a classic

Roberto Duran was my all-time favorite
    Last edited by quercus alba; 03-15-2021 at 01:07 PM.

I guess there are a couple of OLD farts around this joint who might remember the "Friday Night Fights" (actually Gillette Cavalcade of Sports) broadcast every Friday night from Madison Square Garden It ran from the 40's to 1960. Heck, as a little kid, I always watched the fights and the Twilight Zone on Friday nights!