C.D. quote:

Jim, I know this I’ve mentioned this before. But,?I have fond memories of Udorn AFB in the early 70’s. We could fly Space A from Vientiane on Air America and hit the PX and the Officer’s Club for the day for a little R and R.
Yessir, I was hanging around that area quite a bit in the early 70's ... were you that little Embassy kid running around the base back then?

We had an ARDF (Airborne Radio Direction Finding) unit based there plus, for a year or so, I had a "downtown" bungalow just on the outskirts of the perimeter. I could also be found hanging around the Air America area, so we well could have crossed paths. I was there in Oct. '72 when the base suffered a sapper attack and I used to have pics of the perp (at least, what was left of him). The pics were considered contraband, so I had to develop them myself. (when he was shot, his satchel charges blew up and he ended up in a couple dozen pieces) A shithead roommate in the states stole them years later ... no proof, but nobody else had access. I was in that same bungalow during Operation Linebacker (or the "Christmas bombings") in Dec. '72. I got ZERO sleep as F-4's were taking off every 30 seconds (24/7) for 11 frigging days right outside my window! Were you there that early? (I left in late '75 after 'Nam fell)