Thread: Well this happened after work Friday

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar

Well this happened after work Friday

Every once in a great while I manage to be lucky enough to land a pretty decent fish on my fly rod. I'm not mad about catching this rainbow at all.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    beautiful.. I'm not sure I ever congratulated you on coming over to "the dark side".. Far from a purist - I adhere to a comment by well-known angler I read several years ago.. "Fly fishing is not a religion. You are allowed to make up the rules as you go."
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

HH, I agree with that statement. I'll never be a purist. On Saturday I caught 45 large trout from 20"-23". I caught 15 of them on the fly rod and the other 30 on my jigging rod. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced it's not so much the gear as the person using it. With that said, I have the skill to get skunked regardless of the gear I use.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    That is a really nice fish! I’m jealous of all the ones you catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

There's always been this ongoing debate and argument in the guitar community about chasing a particular tone, equipment or effects allow you to achieve that tone, type of guitar, type of strings, different effect pedals, etc.

At the end of the day. Stevie Ray sounds like Stevie Ray no matter what he's playing. He could pick up a $50 walmart guitar and you would know it's him immediately.

In short, it ain't the equipment. It's the person.

I'm still gonna make fun of fly fisherman, though.

Also... NICE DAMN FISH!!!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Len, one time I was reading an article about Eddie Van Halen. He mentioned that after a concert that Ted Nugent was there. He was so impressed by the sounds that Eddie was getting out of his guitar he asked if he could play it. Eddie mentioned that no matter what Ted did he still sounded like Ted. He came to the same conclusion as you that at the end of the day the guitar player will sound like themself regardless of the gear. There are several guitar players out there that I can recognize them within the first few notes. Santana and Joe Walsh are very distinctive in their sound. Well at least they are to me.