Thread: Hey Posty ... interesting article here.

Hey Posty ... interesting article here.

Some dude racked up a million miles on a Toyota Tundra and Toyota traded him a brand new Tundra in exchange for his old one. The million-miler was all original and Toyota tore it down bolt by bolt for the engineers to inspect every single part to see what improvements they might make on future parts, but danged if they could find any shortcomings! They dyno'd the engine and it passed with a score of 99/100 which would have qualified as acceptable performance for a NEW engine!

They said the truck was not babied as the guy hauled 1500-2700 pound pallets of some sort of product cross-country. Toyota said the bed was beat all to shit, but there were no engineering or structural failures.

2007 million mile toy bed.jpg

They were pretty excited that the seats held up so well and even sent them to Japan to be examined by the engineers there. The guy was no lightweight and usually slept in the truck during his cross country hauls, so the seats got a real workout. They were right, he ain't persactly a small dude!

million mile toy driver.jpg

I'd like to know how many miles he could'a racked up if Toyota hadn't traded him out of it? Anyway, it's an interesting Motor Trend article if you care to read it. Heck, you should get another easy 900,000 miles or so out'ta yours!

https://www.motortrend.com/news/mill...the-tear-down/
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I just passed 76000 on mine (2014). So far its been a dream. I do have a trim piece that holds a canister that arms a airbag somewhere that has somehow gotten broken, but so far so good on e erything else!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

My Tacoma mostly sits these days ... it's a 2016 (purchased 11/2015) and only has 17,000 mi. on the clock. We mostly just drive the 2018 Highlander now (purchased 8/2018), but heck, we've only logged 24,000 mi. on it so far. Back in the day, I had 5 work trucks running and I'd usually rotate them out of inventory every 3 years as they'd each usually have about 150,000 HARD (employees are rough on equipment) miles logged by then. I sort of got into the habit of trading every 3 years, but now that Lynn and I are basically retired, I think I may hang onto them a bit longer (already started with my Tacoma, obviously). I just hope I can stay away from the lot when I take 'em in for service. Once I open the door and catch a whiff of that new car smell, I sometimes get a little "intoxicated" and sometimes do crazy shit.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I’m up to 110k on my 2004 which is clearly going to out last me at this point. No problems just routine maintenance and the Takata air bag recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I’ve got a 2003 Chevy Suburban that’s got 339K on it. Leaks little oil but still runs fine.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

I had a 97 Burb for four years and loved it. 44 gal tank and we could drive to St Louis on one fillup. A land yatch. I hated driving it in the wind though!
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I had a 99 with that size tank. This one and my 2010 cut them back to 32 gallon tanks.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

I've had 3 'Burbs over the years (all 70's models). I think 2 of them had the 40-gal. tank. It was fine as long as I had gas, but I always hated the "sticker shock" whenever I pulled in to fill that puppy up!

All of mine were 4WD, but the real gas hog of the bunch had full-time 4wd. I practically had to take out a 2nd mortgage to keep gas in that beast!

Yep mine was 4wd too. I had visions of making it a retirement vehicle for fishing and hunting butcould never get past the fact it didn’t have a bed on it.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Yeppers, ALL of mine were "hunting vehicles". In fact, the last one I had, I purchased from Gary (Archer) Carty's sister and BIL in Texas. I flew out, bought the beast and drove it back here. If I remember correctly, they bought a new house, were downsizing and the "Burb" had to go. I needed it like I needed a hole in my head and it was just one of those spur of the moment purchases.