Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Someone PLEASE knock some sense into my haid!

I don’t know why, but truck payments have irritated me more thanalmost any bill I pay. It must be that you’re upsidedown so easily on financed vehicles it isn’t funny. No more months of sweating some major expense on a car that ain’t paid off and isn’t worth what you owe on it. that’s why I paid cash or paid off car loans as quick as I could once I couldafford it. Its like the fuckers have you over a barrel.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Beautiful looking rig Thump but 35ft is a BIG travel trailer. My last one was 28ft. Keep thinking 5th wheel. I've had both and the 5er was much nicer to tow, especially in crosswind conditions. Much more stable.

I’ve very seldom had the resources to pay for a NEW car with cash, although I paid cash for my current truck (first and only time in my life). Lynn’s car is financed, but I did put a pretty good down payment on it. For this new adventure, I’ll have my (paid for) trade plus a decent amount of cash thrown in to make the truck payment a little less painful, then a decent cash down on the trailer and I should be good. It’ll still sting a little, but I can live with it.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Yep Johnboy, I hear ya’. I just hate the thought of losing all that bed space. I’d like to throw a golf cart back there. My buddy’s trailer is a “toy hauler”, but I hate the thought of losing all that space in the camper. That’s the problem with the rv choices, motorhome, trailer, 5th wheel .... they all have their pluses and minuses. It’s just whatever works for the individual. At least, I can always trade for a 5th wheeler down the road, but will already have the vehicle.

Yup, there is no 'perfect rig'. As you say, pluses and negatives for all of them. It really depends on what you plan to do with it - long distance highway travel to far distant parts or a jaunt down the road to a favourite local place. If you plan to carry a golf cart in the bed you'll need an 8ft bed and probably a 1 ton to handle the weight of the cargo plus the tongue weight of the trailer (which will be a bunch). Better to have too much truck than too little. Also invest in the BEST anti-sway hitch you can get.

All I can say is that with my experience with a trailer doing the death wobble and flipping over on a busy highway, I would certainly be looking at a 5th wheel of that size. Just MHO. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Yeppers, I hear ya' Johnboy ... and knowing the "mechanics" of each, I totally agree with you. One other snag is the floorplan. Lynn and I were a mile apart on what we wanted. When we walked into the one we've (so far) decided on, it immediately checked ALL of our boxes ... hers AND mine. I had an appointment at the hospital (Tampa) yesterday morning and after the appointment and lunch, we spent the rest of the day RV shopping (AGAIN). So far, we've still been unable to find (another) one that we're BOTH happy with. On one hand, they eventually all seem to have the same general floorplans, but on the other hand, they're all different. Then you have to take the builder and overall quality into account, as well as reputation, serviceability, price-point, etc, etc, etc. It's been way more daunting than I'd imagined ... especially when I'm trying to make BOTH of us happy with the choice. This isn't as easy as I'd anticipated. Who knows? I may wake up tomorrow and be right back onto the motorhome bandwagon.

That said, I ran into one (travel trailer) yesterday that was on consignment. We had a big RV show here in January and a couple bought a trailer there. Once they got home, the buyer's remorse hit them right between the eyes. They never even took delivery and tried to unwind the deal, but they'd let a few days go by and the registration process had already gone through so it immediately became a "used" trailer. The only thing they wanted was to get out of the deal and would take a bath on it financially just to get out from under it. BUT ... of course ... it just wasn't what either of us was looking for. It was a "bunkhouse" design as they had visions of having their grandkids along. It didn't check ANY of our boxes, but the potential was there for a sweet deal.

I say DO IT JIMMY!

I did a east coast tour with Lucia pulling a 32' TT with my Tundra TRD Pro and it was a blast. Been thinking hard about it ever since.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Thump when you finally join us deplorable RVers get yourself a Blackstone. Super handy!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip Hombre, I'm sure Lynn will like it!

Actually, she's already informed me she will NOT be cooking inside unless there's some sort of apocalyptic event. She says there's nothing that would excite her more than frying fish in the bedroom! Anyway, the TT we've set our sites on has a built-in outside kitchen and quite a few options are available. The one my buddy has (they also have never used the inside kitchen for cooking) has a built-in grill, fridge and tv.

outside grille3.jpg

But, they've never used that one either and have a separate grill they use as they want to keep the built-in unit pristine for "resale value". Whatever. The unit we're looking at has many options and it all depends on how far you want to go with it. All the units have o/s propane hook-ups for an extra grill.

outside grill2.jpg

A camper shell on your truck and a trip to the army surplus for a couple cots, a weber grill, a bag of charcoal, and a chimney and you have all that and still have money left over for a boat!

Get your priorities straight!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Had a dozen boats in my lifetime. I’m over it. I need a new type of hole to shovel money into.

Drive that baby on out to Oklahoma and visit a spell.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Where’s the cats going to sleep and how are you going to store a skid of cat food?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    That's basically the setup we have minus the built in stove. I take the Blackstone griddle and it plugs directly into the onboard propane. I also bring a travel traeger pellet grill.. total agree with not cooking inside.

The part I can’t figure out is when Lynn said she didn’t like the idea of cooking fish where you sleep, it kinda sounded like she expected Thumper to catch some fish in the first place.
    She’s got plans for you Uncle Jim. Digyourself an old man pole out of the pile at your next estate sale and at least act like you’re trying!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I'm a firm believer in, "she catches it, she cooks it"! If I ever dug out my trusty ol' K-mart "Blue Light Special" Snoopy Zebco ... she wouldn't be able to cook fast enough to keep up. Heck, the last time I used that killer combo is when I spanked you (and a few more ingrates around here) while showing youse guys how to catch Canuckian Walleye.

snoopy zebco.jpg

I WANT another bike. An HD Road King this time. You get your trailer and I'll get my scoot.